liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Raspbian is finally, formally here!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:36 pm

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1605

Stop whatever you're doing and go and update your SD card now; the performance improvements we've got from Raspbian are really remarkable and make using the Raspberry Pi a very different experience.

I'd like to echo the personal thanks that Eben makes in the post announcing this - especially singling out @mpthompson and @plugwash. Raspbian's kind of amazing - it just grew from nowhere in the community very, very quickly. It's worth following the timeline link in Eben's post to read more.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

AndrewS

Re: Raspbian is finally, formally here!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Woot! :D

Lob0426

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:13 am

And it is faster in browsing! 8-)

posted from Lapdock with Raspi and new Wheezy-Raspbian image

P.S. thank you to all of those who made this happen!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

celticno6

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:24 am

Wow...

that's a heap faster!

Previously, I'd given up on using the Pi for this forum and was using m laptop running Ububtu 12.04 LTS.

Now, I'm posting from the Pi!

Really simple to dd the image using Ubuntu, and no more faffing about to resize the partition to the full 16GB on my Transcend Class 10 SD Card. From turning on the laptop to burn the image to posting this image in less than half an hour (total upgrade time!)

Fantastic stuff. Now, time to get throwing some code at this puppy and seeing what works and what breaks.
"Improvement makes straight roads; but the crooked roads without improvement are roads of Genius."
-- William Blake (1757-1827), The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

cpaek72

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:26 am

Huge huge improvement. Im actually using netsurf for most of my browsing because its so much faster than Midori, but the Pi is useable now. Cant wait for the next leap in performance.

Nick S

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:00 pm

I can confirm the awesomeness. The front end menu for automatically resizing the partition, overscan, time zone, location and all of those configuration settings was especially nice. And yes, it's much, much faster.

0117blocky

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:58 pm

I've just swapped from Wheezy to Raspbian and the GUI is a lot slicker to use.
Cpu usage is less while I'm typing this in. You Guys who are responsible for this version
should be proud of yourselves.

Thank you.

Mark

Ps I have not had to touch the config file to adjust the screen:)

Lob0426

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:19 pm

I loaded a 4GB card last night everything works fine except sound. I am using a Motorola Atrix Lapdock. Sound worked in the prior wheezy image. I made sure my config is the same. I found a possible typo in /etc/modules, snd-bcm2835 instead of snd_bcm2835. Fixed that, no sound. Tried modprobe snd_bcm2835 still nothing. Made sure alsa utile was there. Am I missing something or did I get a corrupted image? Sound works fine on three other cards.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Lob0426 wrote:I loaded a 4GB card last night everything works fine except sound. I am using a Motorola Atrix Lapdock. Sound worked in the prior wheezy image. I made sure my config is the same. I found a possible typo in /etc/modules, snd-bcm2835 instead of snd_bcm2835. Fixed that, no sound. Tried modprobe snd_bcm2835 still nothing. Made sure alsa utile was there. Am I missing something or did I get a corrupted image? Sound works fine on three other cards.
I believe snd-bcm2835 is the correct name. It's what my ko file is called.

Lob0426

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:53 pm

dom wrote:
Lob0426 wrote:I loaded a 4GB card last night everything works fine except sound. I am using a Motorola Atrix Lapdock. Sound worked in the prior wheezy image. I made sure my config is the same. I found a possible typo in /etc/modules, snd-bcm2835 instead of snd_bcm2835. Fixed that, no sound. Tried modprobe snd_bcm2835 still nothing. Made sure alsa utile was there. Am I missing something or did I get a corrupted image? Sound works fine on three other cards.
I believe snd-bcm2835 is the correct name. It's what my ko file is called.
Ok will leave it alone. Prior images it was an undersore. I think it was a bad image, card just crashed. Shows splash screen but thats it now. One of the boot files probably. I had not made any copies for this card yet. Reimaging the card to try again.

Edit: I found the problem. Had hdmi_drive=1 instead of =2. I was using a DVI monitor before. I am just retarded, oops the new term is Developmentally Disabled.

DarkStarPDX

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Wow, congrats on the release! I just read about some of the recent developments on Monday and finally got my Pi order placed yesterday.
--Chris ^_^

JohnStodden

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Wow, just downloaded and run the new release!

Very impressed, accepted option to enable SSH and was puttying within 3 minutes.

Looks fast

Congratulations to all who have worked on this!

thexman

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 pm

does this image fix the USB V1.0 and V1.1 fault currently being suffered on the Raspberry pi or did that fix get missed out again.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

JohnStodden

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:59 pm

Nick S wrote:I can confirm the awesomeness. The front end menu for automatically resizing the partition, overscan, time zone, location and all of those configuration settings was especially nice. And yes, it's much, much faster.
Having gone through this front-end menu, how do I find it again, if I change my mind on the options to select?

dom

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:00 pm

JohnStodden wrote:Having gone through this front-end menu, how do I find it again, if I change my mind on the options to select?
sudo raspi-config

kghunt

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:20 pm

I love the fact that ash is enabled by default. I have only ever connected my pi to a monitor once is always use ssh. I was up and running in seconds.

Beanz

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Has anybody tried this and added openelec to it ??

Got mine running XMBC nicely alongside Squeeze but don't wanna change to Raspian if noones tried openelec.

Ta.

dom

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:26 pm

Beanz wrote:Got mine running XMBC nicely alongside Squeeze but don't wanna change to Raspian if noones tried openelec.
OpenELEC is a complete hardfloat distribution in itself. It doesn't run on top of Debian Squeeze, Wheezy, Raspbian or any other distribution.

XBMC does work with this Raspbian image.

JonB

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Congratulations to all involved!

My observation: When I plug in ethernet cable, I get hundreds of error messages:

smsc95xx: 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: kevent 4 may have been dropped

If the cable is connected at boot time, it slows the boot down tremendously while it chucks all the errors onto the screen. It will connect eventually, but drops after after a few minutes.

Actually, there are lots and lots of errors in the system log, but I don't know if they are new to this image or a general Wheezy-ism. I haven't noticed much speed up but I am testing with a Class 4 card - my Squeeze image runs on a Class 10.

Update : I just got a 100% CPU freezeout with no windows running. :( Boot is now freezing up on startup of sshd.

Might be a bit soon to be opening the champagne.

My setup: Raspberry Pi Model B plus Atrix Laptop with a Logitech Nano wireless mouse, which work on the Squeeze image.

lewmur

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 pm

cpaek72 wrote:Huge huge improvement. Im actually using netsurf for most of my browsing because its so much faster than Midori, but the Pi is useable now. Cant wait for the next leap in performance.
Thanks for mentioning netsurf. I'm posting from it now and it is much faster than Midori.

Lob0426

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 am

Have the new image working on a USB HDD now. Quake3 with sound works great. Openarena still a no go. All of it on the Lapdock with no issues now.

Great Job!

besteverjam

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 am

Yes - Raspbian downloaded a treat - and new system installed - great - thanks.

I then tried sound - but I do not have a "Sound and Video " menu - did on previous version. What can I have done wrong?

Decani

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:16 pm

I also noticed that there's no sound/video menu. So far, I haven't been able to get sound working on Raspbian. I am not sure if this is an error or if I need to configure something.

Rob.

lewmur

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:17 pm

I didn't have any trouble with the install but I must have done something wrong because a few keys on my keyboard produce the wrong results. When I type an @ instead I get a " and the " produces the @ I could live with that but the | puts out a ~ but the ~ doesn't produce the | So I can't run commands like

Code: Select all

$ps axg | grep vnc
I ran raspi-config to choose the keyboard again and tried to select a standard 104 key US keyboard but nothing changed.

edit: I had already tried the keyboard on another PC and it worked fine. But just now I took it a step futher and tried another keyboard on the Pi. The @ and | keys now work but I have no single quote or tilde keys!!

guidol

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:12 pm

liz wrote:http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1605
Stop whatever you're doing and go and update your SD card now; the performance improvements we've got from Raspbian are really remarkable and make using the Raspberry Pi a very different experience.
Runs fine for me, but after using rpi-update from Hexxeh (installing git-core and rpi-update) for updating the firmware/kernel my Raspberry didnt boot anymore :( I had to recreate the SDHC-Card via Win32DiskImager to be able to boot again.

Raspbian/wheezy has done some tweaks about the firmware/kernel/applications. Is it a bas idea to use rpi-update on Raspbian wheezy? Is there any chance that rpi-update do corrupt Raspbian wheezy?

In the faulty state my Raspberry does only lit up with the red power-led and the green HDD/SDHC-Led was blinking.

Did any one else run into this issue?

Return to “General discussion”