sighila

How to connect a stepper motor

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:58 pm

how can you connect a stepper motor to a raspberry pi 2??????????????????????????????

Douglas6

Re: doubt on a project

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:08 pm

1. The number of question marks in a question has no positive effect on the speed, quantity or quality of responses.
2. If you copy the question (without the question marks), and paste it into a Google search box, the speed and quantity of results will increase thousand-folds.

PiGraham

Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:41 pm

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: How to connect a stepper motor

Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:17 am

I have also changed the thread title to something more meaningful.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

experix

Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:30 pm

Normally people on this forum jump at the chance to help somebody do something. I think for some strange reason they were put off by the string of question marks. Anyway, what the stepper motor needs is called an 'H bridge', or really two of them (for a typical stepper motor). You can get these as separate parts, but it is probably going to be much easier and not much more expensive to get a board, such as the gertbot (I'm not deliberately promoting this above other possibilities; it just happens to be what I got and am familiar with). This attaches to the GPIO bus on the RPi, and communicates via the serial port. You can find forum posts that answer lots of questions about this, as well as directing you to the online documentation. If you use a solution like this, working over the serial port, it is possible you will find that the operating system is too much of a bottleneck. You can speed up the operation about 7-fold by means of a user-space serial port driver . I'll send you details on that if you are interested.

sighila

Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:14 pm

there is nothing wrong in putting question marks :/ i just did it to get the answer fast so that ppl will notice it
Douglas6 wrote:1. The number of question marks in a question has no positive effect on the speed, quantity or quality of responses.
2. If you copy the question (without the question marks), and paste it into a Google search box, the speed and quantity of results will increase thousand-folds.

BMS Doug

Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:57 pm

sighila wrote:there is nothing wrong in putting question marks :/ i just did it to get the answer fast so that ppl will notice it
I (and I am sure there were others) noticed the quantity of question marks and disregarded the question on that basis.
Why bother to provide an answer when the OP can't understand the basics of the English language.

I would similarly disregard questions WRITTEN ALL IN CAPITALS or iN mIxEd cAsE, or indeed anything else that demonstrated a lack of concern for the conventions of the written English language. If you can't be bothered to write nicely then I won't bother to reply.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:03 pm

sighila wrote:there is nothing wrong in putting question marks :/ i just did it to get the answer fast so that ppl will notice it
Douglas6 wrote:1. The number of question marks in a question has no positive effect on the speed, quantity or quality of responses.
So did you get the answer you were looking for?
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

henryhanselscott

Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:24 pm

I think for some strange reason they were put off by the string of question marks
I too am a bit puzzled at the negative response of the quantity of question marks? Multiple question marks indicated to me that possibly the OP knows very little to nothing about stepper motors and interfacing the Rpi, therefore this is not a specific question regarding just one technical aspect but a general question seeking information about the entire process. In a world that has created many alternative forms of the English language as in text and social media posting I would think that this has become much less of an issue. Besides, often children will post on this forum requesting information and the grammar may not be up to speed, certainly we can not ignore them based on this criteria. For that matter, MY grammar is not up to speed, please be patient with me when I post a question or response.

To get back to the OP, please give more information about your use of stepper motors. This will help us guide you along. I have been using steppers for 20 plus years and have extensive experience with them in a variety of applications.

Henry

PiGraham

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 am

henryhanselscott wrote:
I think for some strange reason they were put off by the string of question marks
I too am a bit puzzled at the negative response of the quantity of question marks? Multiple question marks indicated to me that possibly the OP knows very little to nothing about stepper motors and interfacing the Rpi, therefore this is not a specific question regarding just one technical aspect but a general question seeking information about the entire process. In a world that has created many alternative forms of the English language as in text and social media posting I would think that this has become much less of an issue. Besides, often children will post on this forum requesting information and the grammar may not be up to speed, certainly we can not ignore them based on this criteria. For that matter, MY grammar is not up to speed, please be patient with me when I post a question or response.
General questions like that, with lots of superfluous punctuation or not, are unanswerable. We can only assume there is a real question behind it, that the OP wants to do something, but unless the something is specified how can the question be answered?

People should try hard to ask specific question and explain what they are trying to achieve.

Lots of question marks look like an indication of frustration. It doesn't help you get an answer. A clear question will be far more effective.

Return to “General discussion”