smskit2000

Use a PIR Sensor to detect a movement of a paper

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:23 pm

I need to detect, when a paper come out from a laser printer and count no of printed papers.For that I hope to use a PIR sensor to detect the movement of the paper from the printer. Is it posible to detect the movement of a paper using a PIR sensor. Please be kind enough to help me.

lpsw

Re: Use a PIR Sensor to detect a movement of a paper

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Yes its possible. I use a Parallax PIR to count birds. Here's one place to start:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-ra ... t/hardware
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:38 pm

smskit2000 wrote:I need to detect, when a paper come out from a laser printer and count no of printed papers.For that I hope to use a PIR sensor to detect the movement of the paper from the printer. Is it posible to detect the movement of a paper using a PIR sensor. Please be kind enough to help me.
Paper coming out of a laser printer is warm, so it may well set off a PIR (passive infrared). But you might be better off with a more optical system perhaps? A 'light detecter' based sensor would probably be more reliable given the high white contrast of the paper.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

BMS Doug

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:40 am

A line following sensor setup to detect the paper as it comes out of the printer?
(don't forget to use a voltage divider on the output to drop it from 5v to 3v3).

Obviously you want to mount the sensor where it will notice the pages coming out of the printer, not the stack of already printed pages.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Return to “General discussion”