CCitizenTO

D-Link 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub (DUB-H7)

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Well I have just received my D-Link 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub (Model#: DUB-H7).

First thing is first. Reading the instructions alludes to the fact that there are two 'fast charging ports' that deliver 1.2A of power. I found out that this will only take effect when the computer is 'off' or not connected. When the computer is connected it will deliver 500mA and each port will also receive 500mA of power (7x 500ma = 3.5A).

Still I plugged my RPi in to see if it would fire up from the hub and it would but I am concerned since it goes from fast charging mode to normal mode that it is only getting 500mA it would be under powered and may cause reliability issues thus I have went back to using my Blackberry Charger as the power supply (5V/750mA).

I think that my Edimax USB Nano Wireless N Adapter (EW7811UN) seems to be causing some sort of issues when it is plugged in. I likely need to go and follow the steps here ( http://www.ctrl-alt-del.cc/2012/05/rasp ... s-ada.html ) which I havent done so yet.

Here is how lsusb sees the hub...

pi@raspberrypi:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc.

From experimenting I'm willing to say the Standard Microsystems Corp. and Linux Foundation 2.0 Root Hub are what define the RPi's native interefaces and that the D-Link Hub is using two of these Genesys Logic, Inc. hubs to get 8 ports (7 upstream, 1 downstream). I recall someone mentioning on the wiki about two boards ganged together but anyways... It seems to work. I am using the latest firmware and my Pi has it's OS (Debian Squeeze) up to date as well. Thus it looks like this hub might be a decent one to use.

slinxy

Re: D-Link 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub (DUB-H7)

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:51 pm

I'm very interested in hearing your findings about this USB hub as I'm thinking getting it myself to power on my R-Pi; if it ever arrives.

Looking at the spec of the hub, its comes with a 3A psu, and that's should be enough to power my external hdd (2.5 SATA), Bluetooth dongle and wifi dongle.

Have you tried powering the Pi using a Y cable so that two USB-A coming from the fast USB ports on the hub and going to a mirco usb?

Does the hub come with its own power switch?

CCitizenTO

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:51 pm

slinxy wrote:I'm very interested in hearing your findings about this USB hub as I'm thinking getting it myself to power on my R-Pi; if it ever arrives.

Looking at the spec of the hub, its comes with a 3A psu, and that's should be enough to power my external hdd (2.5 SATA), Bluetooth dongle and wifi dongle.
It should have enough power since it provides 500mA to all the ports when connected to a computer. 7 * 500mA = 3.5A.
Have you tried powering the Pi using a Y cable so that two USB-A coming from the fast USB ports on the hub and going to a mirco usb?
No I dont kno wwhat a Y cable is so i didnt. I just plugged the USB-A to MicroUSB in from the port. The moment you plug the upstream into any computer that is on switches from 'green light' which has the fast charge enabled ports (1.2A) to 'blue light' which changes all ports to standard ports (500mA). It will start the Pi up but I worry about it being underpowered.
Does the hub come with its own power switch?
No it doesnt. Here's a picture of mine as well as a short blog post about it... If the link dont work they've finally migrated the dev server to www. BTW The model I ended up with was nice sleek black thing with a mirror finish rather than the greyish thing I've seen linked on just about every site selling DUB-H7. Anyways the picture is in the link below.

http://dev.pirateparty.ca/pirate/concer ... owered-hub

RaTTuS

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:06 pm

I have one of those on one RPi - no issues with it
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

slinxy

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:18 pm

CCitizenTO wrote:
No I dont kno wwhat a Y cable is so i didnt. I just plugged the USB-A to MicroUSB in from the port. The moment you plug the upstream into any computer that is on switches from 'green light' which has the fast charge enabled ports (1.2A) to 'blue light' which changes all ports to standard ports (500mA). It will start the Pi up but I worry about it being underpowered.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%AE-Ca ... 578&sr=8-1

Its just a two usb A going to a micro-usb a cable so that the R-Pi draws its power from two usb ports rather than just one so it will give 2*500mA = 1 Amp that the R-Pi requires. A lot of self powered hdd caddies use them to power the hdd correctly.

st0kes

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Has anyone managed to download the file ipad_charge.exe for this hub? It doesn't appear to be on the dlink website any more (even though the instructions refer to it).

I know it's a windows app and won't work on the pi, but if I can usb-sniff the packets when running windows I might be able to cobble something together to enable fast-charge mode on the Pi...

lines

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:31 pm

a link to a newer version is ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Hub/dubh7/Apps/iPad ... y_1.07.exe
i could not test it yet because i could not manage to activate the hub as a device in my VirtualBox where Windows is running.

milkybar_ton

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi there,
I also have this hub and use it to power my Pi. Normally works well but i have an issue with the Pi freezing sometimes when playing a film back (XBMC) and not sure why. Every other fault seems to say 'check the power supply' so perhaps it's having difficulty spinning up the external drive also. I'm using a 1TB WD drive on the hub at the same time. I must repeat though that this only happens sometimes

raspcurrant

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi all
I have the same problem with this hub on the pi, with the "blue" mode underpowering the device (500mA). I wonder if anyone made any progress with getting the pi to switch the hub to high power mode. I'm afraid it's out of my league.
Thanks for the suggestion, slinxy, about the y cable. didn't know what that was either, but I guess it's a quick (rather less elegant) fix.

marcopi

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:01 pm

I have the same problem with this hub on the pi, with the "blue" mode underpowering the device (500mA). I wonder if anyone made any progress with getting the pi to switch the hub to high power mode. I'm afraid it's out of my league.
I'm also struggling with this because I saw there is a Windows application which sets high power mode even if a PC si connected.
I found an interesting article:
http://superuser.com/questions/314402/d ... mmand-line
That states that is possbile to control hubs concerning power switching and led indicator.
The article says that D-Link DUB-H7 is supported (the silver cover version, but not the black one).

I'll try to investigate and keep you informed.
Marco

marcopi

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 am

Answering myself:
I tried the solution proposed in previous post, concerning enabling power on usb port, with no luck.

Then I found another interesting project:
https://github.com/mkorenkov/ipad_charge

I have no time to try it now, perhaps in a few weeks (if anyone want to try first...)

Marco

sej7278

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:44 pm

i couldn't get a dub-h7/b to work last week, sent it back to the retailer who said it worked for them. i think the problem may have been the shoddy usb cable i was using (didn't try the one it came with) as the 3a psu worked fine with a dynamode hub.

Thomas_B

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:47 am

Well, I'm in the same scenario here.
But according to @mahjongg answer http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 72#p154872 (which I belive to be true), as long as you don't plug anything but the H7 on the Pi's USB port 500mA should be enough ... for now :
I'm really interested in a way to switch to fast charge mode anyway

kelle62819

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:28 am

This utility screwed up my usb on my windows machine. Mouse and keyboard are only working in safe mode now.

jimjamz

Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:30 pm

It appears that I'm having some issues with this particular hub when connected to my Raspberry Pi Model B. I have the 7-port silver D-Link DUB-H7.

P/N: EUBH7B...A5G
Serial number starting with "B1".
Hardware version: A5

My Raspberry Pi is powered by it's own AC power adapter (5V 3A), as is the D-Link DUB-H7, using the official D-Link AC power adapter that it came with when I purchased it (model JTA0302F-C), also 5V 3A.

I am using one of the two USB ports on my Pi to connect it to the D-Link DUB-H7. On the hub, I have 3 connected devices:

- 1x Logitech Orbit Sphere MP Webcam
- 2x External 3.5"Maxtor OneTouch 4 500GB hard drives

The hard drives are mounted in Raspbian command line and can be accessed readily. However, if the hard drives go to sleep, or after an unspecified period of time (usually several hours later), when I attempt to access them again using a simple "ls -la" command, I receive an "input/output error".

I have been monitoring this for several weeks now. I even tested this with the webcam and one of the Maxtor drives detached from the hub, and I was still experiencing the same problem.

I then removed the hub from the Pi, and connected the two Maxtor drives directly to the ports on the Raspberry Pi Model B. I have had them mounted for several days now and have never received the "input/output" issue. The only remaining test I have left is that both the Pi and hub, as well as the two Maxtor OneTouch drives are all plugged into the same Belkin 8-way surge-protected extension cable. I will test by moving the D-Link or Maxtors to a separate power source or adjacent wall socket and see what results that brings.

Return to “General discussion”