Raspberry Pi 2, the $45 mini computer.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Pretty much the RPi2 is impossible to find at the moment for $35. There's simply too much demand and not enough stock. The swag store had some in stock yesterday for $47 USD each and now they're all sold out! Amazon US sells them for roughly $45 each, and those are selling so fast that the vendor changes almost every day. Allied Electronics has a 3,200 unit back order on the RPi2, and it keeps growing every day(My order won't ship until next month, and that order was placed last month in May). So, realistically, the price of a raspberry pi 2 really isn't $35 anymore unless you want hoops to jump through. I feel like sellers are "pi hoarding" at the moment and selling them for more than they're worth. Obviously, there's something that needs to be fixed here to keep the Raspberry Pi affordable.
Last edited by 63854 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikerr

Re: Raspberry Pi 2, the $45 mini computer.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

scotty101

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Doesn't seem to be universal
cpc.co.uk wrote:2,093 in stock ready for despatch (UK stock)
Check stock and lead times
6 will be available for delivery on Jun 25, 2015
14,400 will be available for delivery on Jul 5, 2015
Supplier lead time 4 weeks
Price Ex. VAT (Inc. VAT)
Quantity List Price
1+ £24.94 (£29.928)
Are you looking on the official pi resellers?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:58 pm

30 pounds is $47. I think I may be missing the point of your post. :?: I checked MCM, an official pi reseller, and it's $35 used(Why not just buy a new one at that point), and on back order, plus $8 shipping($42). http://www.mcmelectronics.com/basket.as ... da81412ace

kusti8

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:02 pm

What's so bad about waiting? I was just looking at MCM (where I get my Pi) and it says it'll be ready to ship in 12 days. Add in 3 days of shipping (that's how long it took for me recently) and you're looking at about 2 weeks. Not that bad.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:07 pm

It just kinda shows how they're selling a used pi for what used to be the price for a new one. :?

jlmccabe47

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:02 pm

$21 Raspberry???
Sell will only sell one per 10 day period, then will not ship to my location. USA California. So doesn't due me any good.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 2, the $35 mini computer.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:30 pm

read the FAQ,
You can buy a Raspberry Pi directly from our website. You can also buy from our main distributors, Premier Farnell/Element14 and RS Components/Allied Electronics. Both distributors sell all over the world.
http://www.element14.com/community/comm ... pberry-pi?

TideMan

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:50 pm

It must be a local problem, 63854, because way down here in the antipodes we can buy them for $NZ64 inc. 15% GST (~$US45), free overnight delivery.

https://nicegear.co.nz/raspberry-pi/ras ... 2-model-b/
If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance.
You must stir it and stump it and blow your own trumpet, or trust me you haven't a chance.
Ruddigore, G&S

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:26 am

As far as I know, production is still running at maximum, so any availability issues are just down to demand. Which is pretty cool really - means the Pi2 is selling like hot cakes, and is still selling like hot cakes after some months. I suspect Eben is quite pleased.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Mequa

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:55 am

jamesh wrote:As far as I know, production is still running at maximum, so any availability issues are just down to demand. Which is pretty cool really - means the Pi2 is selling like hot cakes, and is still selling like hot cakes after some months. I suspect Eben is quite pleased.
Given the exceptionally high demand, are there any plans to increase production? I don't think another R.Pi factory in the UK would hurt. :)

RaTTuS

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:02 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

pluggy

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:10 am

I always thought it was a dumb idea pricing them in US dollars, British computer, British company, Colonial price ?
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:44 am

pluggy wrote:I always thought it was a dumb idea pricing them in US dollars, British computer, British company, Colonial price ?
They are priced in $$$$ because that is the currency used to buy the components of the RPi
board, which obviously when the information was posted yonks ago it was missed by you ;)
Retired disgracefully.....

pluggy

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:54 am

We spend enough time licking the **** of the Americans. I work in the IT industry and I manage to buy all my stuff in £s.

Sorry, I'm a grumpy old sod today and I was never endeared to the Yanks at the best of times.

jamesh

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:13 am

pluggy wrote:We spend enough time licking the **** of the Americans. I work in the IT industry and I manage to buy all my stuff in £s.

Sorry, I'm a grumpy old sod today and I was never endeared to the Yanks at the best of times.
Do you buy individual components? Pi manufacture isn't an IT business, it's a supply line and manufacturing business.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

pluggy

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:20 am

Still no reason for the end price to be in dollars. Are the workers at the Sony factory paid in dollars too ? Has Welsh devolution degenerated to that ?

jamesh

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:29 am

pluggy wrote:Still no reason for the end price to be in dollars. Are the workers at the Sony factory paid in dollars too ? Has Welsh devolution degenerated to that ?

Whether YOU like it or not, the best option by far is to have the price in $. $ is a well known currency world wide, and gives everyone a reference point. UKP, not so much. The only part of the Pi paid for in £ is indeed the Sony, Wales costs, everything else is $, the entire supply chain until Wales. So it is cheaper for the Foundation to cost everything in $. It also stabilises the price at a known reference. No need to change price as exchange rates bounce around.

pluggy

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:47 am

OK, I'll stick at 'I don't like it'. It wasn't a very good idea to publish a somewhat hypothetical price exclusive of local taxes, exchange rates and delivery. 'Cheap' would have cut it.

Its right up there with 'The Pi2 will run Windows 10' in the 'things to say that will forever come back to haunt you' stakes.

jamesh

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:23 pm

Must be why only 6M have been sold. I'd be happy with that sort of haunting.

pluggy

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:34 pm

The Pi would have been a success without the hypothetical price figure. I wonder how many disgruntled Pi 2 owners there are that have discovered that **gasp** it doesn't actually run Windows 10......

Douglas6

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:38 pm

And what's wrong with us Yanks? Wait, forget I asked that!

jamesh

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:00 pm

pluggy wrote:The Pi would have been a success without the hypothetical price figure. I wonder how many disgruntled Pi 2 owners there are that have discovered that **gasp** it doesn't actually run Windows 10......
I suspect it would not have been the success it is without a very firm and low price.

Disgruntled Pi2 users re: Win10? A minuscule percentage. Although I don't remember ever seeing a specific person complaining of it. So very minuscule.

Joe Schmoe

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:33 pm

They don't complain, per se (although I'm sure if we really searched the forum, we could find an exception or 2). Rather, it generally takes the form of "Oh, it doesn't run Windows? Hmmm, fancy that, Well, I guess I'll be selling it on eBay..."

Which isn't complaining per se, but it has the same general effect.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:57 pm

jamesh wrote:As far as I know, production is still running at maximum, so any availability issues are just down to demand. Which is pretty cool really - means the Pi2 is selling like hot cakes, and is still selling like hot cakes after some months. I suspect Eben is quite pleased.
It's great that the Pi is selling, the whole goal is to get them into as many people's hands as possible. But my point is that production needs to be increased. The foundation doesn't really gain anything with people buying from overpriced resellers. In fact, there would be more sold if there was stock always ready to ship at the base $35. I know, it's mostly a US thing to with the prices, but not enough people are given the chance here to buy one for the official $35 price due to low stock.

Return to “General discussion”