thenorm

older os distribution?

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:52 am

I can't set up wi-fi because the wifi setup app has changed or disappeared. Anyone know where I can find an older img file?
(Raspian)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: older os distribution?

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:47 am

The new app should be much easier to use - its on the taskbar IIRC.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:50 am

thenorm wrote:I can't set up wi-fi because the wifi setup app has changed or disappeared. Anyone know where I can find an older img file?
(Raspian)
In the NEW UI Blog it explains the changes

https://www.raspberrypi.org/another-ras ... ace-update
Retired disgracefully.....

Joe Schmoe

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:22 am

Of course, no one has bothered to answer OP's question.

You should read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=101419&p=702837

Which points to:

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Heater

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:06 am

It's just such a weird idea to want to go back to an older distro just because one cannot get WIFI working. Which I'm sure it does with a little new knowledge and tweaking.

In general it is frikken annoying the way Linux distros break things all the time. For example I have just wasted an hour of my life googling around to find out why the baudline spectrum analyser no longer works on Debian on my PC, it used to a few years back when I tried it last.

But that is the price we pay for the evolution of our systems.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:50 am

Heater wrote:It's just such a weird idea to want to go back to an older distro just because one cannot get WIFI working. Which I'm sure it does with a little new knowledge and tweaking.
This is certainly the conventional view - as expressed in the various postings so far on this thread - but it isn't necessarily valid.

Consider the big UI change made a few versions back - where they removed all the desktop icons. This move was, when you think about it, classic Linux-thinking. It gives the desktop a clean, sterile look - which appeals to us Linux/hacker types. But to a different class of user, well, sterile is not good. They want to see a desktop teaming with life - like they get when they buy a laptop from Walmart - teaming with crapware, yes, but teaming with life nonetheless.

Since I don't believe in the perpetual upgrade cycle often espoused by posters on this forum, I still have a B+ running the old version, teaming with icons. Although personally, I can see both sides, I can definitely see how other people would much prefer the old look.

And so it is with the "Big WiFi Change" - changing from wpa_gui to dhcpcd - I can certainly imagine people preferring the old way. I certainly do.
In general it is frikken annoying the way Linux distros break things all the time. For example I have just wasted an hour of my life googling around to find out why the baudline spectrum analyser no longer works on Debian on my PC, it used to a few years back when I tried it last.

But that is the price we pay for the evolution of our systems.
FOSS/Linux/GNU/etc do certainly have a cavalier attitude towards backwards compatibility, as compared, to, say, Microsoft, where, I'm sure Windows 10 still has CP/M compatibility code buried somewhere.

Heater

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Well, yes. There is a constant tension between wanting to have all the latest and greatest features, or at least keep up with bug fixes and security updates, and wanting to have a stable working system that you can rely on and don't have to mess with every other month.

I'm surprised that Raspian is giving people such grief. It's based on Debian where it's pretty rare to have things busted as you update your system over the years. Until that is you upgrade to a new major release, wheezy to jessie for example.

As for desktop icons I quite like to have them. But I don't want to see any that I did not put there myself. I also don't want any update removing them for me.

I don't know about CP/M compatibility in Windows but certainly you can run modern x86 processors in "real-mode" and run 16 bit x86 code. Now, CP/M was written for the 8 bit 8080 and Intel conveniently provided a tool "conv86" that would convert 8080 assembler source code into 8086 assembler source code. Easy to do because they are almost register and instruction compatible at the source level. So, yes, that line of compatibility goes back a long way...

Joe Schmoe

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:58 pm

As for desktop icons I quite like to have them. But I don't want to see any that I did not put there myself.
That's the Linux way of thinking. Nothing there that I didn't do myself.

But it is not mainstream. As I argued above, mainstream is: I want there to be lots of stuff already there for me to choose from.

Heater

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Yep, and I hope the Raspberry Pi, designed with education in mind, is able to make people aware of the fact that there are other possibilities. To be able to build and configure things the way they want, rather than just being spoon fed everything.

thenorm

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:24 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
thenorm wrote:I can't set up wi-fi because the wifi setup app has changed or disappeared. Anyone know where I can find an older img file?
(Raspian)
In the NEW UI Blog it explains the changes

https://www.raspberrypi.org/another-ras ... ace-update
Ok.I got it. Thanks.
Something to be said for never upgrading. ;)

Return to “General discussion”