michaelweaser

raspberry pi 2 video and audio problem under ubuntu mate

Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:13 pm

i am using ubuntu mate as the main operating system right now with the raspberry pi 2, because it seems to be much faster than raspbian and also the video playback seems to be more smoother. whenever i play video from youtube the video seems to be 1-2 seconds faster than the audio. what can i do to make the audio sync with the video propertly . i have tried everything , i have tried giving the graphics more memory up to 512mb. i have even did the 1ghz overclock for the raspberry pi 2. what else can i do to make the audio go with the video?

Mequa

Re: raspberry pi 2 video and audio problem under ubuntu mate

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:49 am

I would also like to see a fix for this, the problem stems from audio latency issues.

michaelweaser

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:12 pm

they do need to fix this problem, i'm sure the pi 2 is capable to running video , the problem is hardware acceleration, they need to figure out hardware acceleration for browsing , i think under ubuntu mate, firefox and chromium works fine, but it needs hardware acceleration. under openelec there is a way to slow down or speed up the audio, they need this option in all linuxes that run on raspberry pi.

gkreidl

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:11 pm

michaelweaser wrote:they do need to fix this problem ...
Who? Who's responsible for supporting, fixing and updating the different RPi Ubuntu releases?

That's the problem with all those "private" OS releases.
Stay with Raspbian; there are quite a number of people working on it and many more giving support.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

michaelweaser

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:19 pm

it seems that other linuxes seem to be faster than raspbian, websites seem to load much faster, and some programs seem to be much faster

gkreidl

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:23 pm

michaelweaser wrote:it seems that other linuxes seem to be faster than raspbian, websites seem to load much faster, and some programs seem to be much faster
I've seen no proof so far. "seems" is very subjective.

A few programs may run faster because of ARMv7 code.
Many packages are newer (which sometimes may be more efficient), but that will soon change, when the migration to Jessie has been finished.

Please ask the people responsible for your Ununtu distribution for support. "This has to be fixed" someone said, but who is responsible? Who's doing the work?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:13 pm

michaelweaser wrote:they do need to fix this problem, i'm sure the pi 2 is capable to running video , the problem is hardware acceleration, they need to figure out hardware acceleration for browsing , i think under ubuntu mate, firefox and chromium works fine, but it needs hardware acceleration. under openelec there is a way to slow down or speed up the audio, they need this option in all linuxes that run on raspberry pi.
All version of Ubuntu respins are Community Distributions, therefore you need to ask the developers to fix issues.

Ubuntu MATE for the Raspberry Pi 2
Rohith Madhavan and Martin Wimpress have made an Ubuntu MATE 15.04 image for the Raspberry Pi 2 which you can download or build yourself

https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi

The RPF spend a considerable amount of time / energy supporting Raspbian and it is unfair to expect them to support other Distro's ;)
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

jpezz

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:54 pm

I gave up on Ubuntu and installed Debian wheezy. Audio works. Never could get it working on Ubuntu. I think the problem is that there are too few Pis running Ubuntu so there is too little info on fixing problems. Most audio troubleshooting seems more slanted to Debian.

osol52

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:19 pm

I have using Debian Wheezey and audio/video has been working just fine

grojas046

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Hi, I just installed Ubuntu Mate and have no audio at all... I check hardware and it shows a device but is not really working.

Seranth

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:02 pm

Purchase 2 licence keys from raspberrypi.com
sudo modprobe snd bmc2835
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
(Uncomment most hdmi related stuff to force audio through it, add licence codes, overclock to at least 800)
sudo apt-get install youtube-dl
youtube-dl [URL]
omxplayer -b [VIDEO]

DONT USE VLC, OMX IS WAAAAY BETTER

Thats essentially how you play videos best under Ubuntu Mate. If you use network storage, ssh, a shell script and a desktop launcher you can get videos to run amazing. Ill probably make a tutorial on exactly how soon, ill get back to you when i do.

Streaming is pretty much dead atm though, dont hold your breath. Try raspbian with kweb if you want easy solution. Im gonna keep using Ubuntu Mate, my setup makes me not miss streaming at all.

Return to “General discussion”