rowan.bradley

RaspPI Remote Surveillance System

Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:51 pm

I am investigating what's involved in setting up a remote monitoring system for a boat, which sometimes stays moored for weeks at a time unattended. The requirements are:
  1. Camera must be 100% weatherproof.
  2. Must submit its pictures via a mobile data service.
  3. Must only record pictures or movie clips every so often (say once per hour) or possibly when triggered by a PIR, or by noise, or my movement of the boat
  4. Idealy images and movie clicps should be uploaded to a web server so they can be looked at at any time, without having to make a direct connection to the boat.
So I think we need an outdoor camera with an ethernet connection, a mobile data dongle or other means of getting an internet connection via the mobile networks, and a computer or device capable of waking the whole system up every hour (or whatever it's programmed to), capture the images, make a data connection, upload the images to a web server, close the connection and shut down until the next time. I imagine the whole thing would need to be powered from the 12V battery on the boat, and would have to use minimal power so the battery is not flattened even after weeks of unattended operation.

The "computer or device" could be a smartphone, a small low powered PC, or a Rasp Pi or an Arduino or equivalent with the necessary software to faciliatate all of these features.

Has anyone done a project like this? Or know of a good place to start? Or of any existing softwsare that does some of what I'm looking for? I'd like to minimise the amount of special design and software, but also I would like to minise the cost.

Thanks for your ideas.

Rowan

Heater

Re: RaspPI Remote Surveillance System

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:40 pm

rowan.bradley,
1. Camera must be 100% weatherproof.
I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man to put a Raspberry Pi and it's camera module in a water proof housing. I'm looking into that just now. I have an off the shelf aluminium box that only needs a three holes cutting, one for the camera window, one for the power and one for the WIFI antenna.
2. Must submit its pictures via a mobile data service.
That is exactly what I am doing. The Pi connects to a WIFI router which in turn holds a 3G USB dongle to get internet access. You may want to put the WIFI dongle directly to the Pi but I want local WIFI access for other devices. You could have more than one Pi/cam unit connect through this kind of set up of course.
My Pi/cam is on line here. http://bccbb0d6f38d1c3dec17eaeddc737106 ... .resin.io/ That weird URL is due to the fact that I am deploying software to that Pi using the resin.io service http://resin.io
3. Must only record pictures or movie clips every so often (say once per hour) or possibly when triggered by a PIR, or by noise, or my movement of the boat
Timing is easy to do as you see in the link above. You will have to make provision for gyro/accelerometer sensors if you want to detect boat motion. Similarly for PIR or other sensors.
4?)Idealy images and movie clicps should be uploaded to a web server so they can be looked at at any time, without having to make a direct connection to the boat.
I will be doing that by using a Google cloud virtual machine instance and some server side code.

All in all quite doable.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Return to “General discussion”