unlimitedbuildz

Raspberry PI 2B Battery

Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:52 pm

I want to purchase a battery pack for my raspberry pi 2b, but I'm not sure if it will work, or how long it will last.Here are the specs: USB External Battery Pack 20000mAh Dual Output 5.1/2.1A;5.1/1.0A Full Specs Here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OHZ ... K718EJ8QC0
So i need to know if it will work and how long it will last. Thanks!

BMS Doug

Re: Raspberry PI 2B Battery

Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:22 pm

unlimitedbuildz wrote:I want to purchase a battery pack for my raspberry pi 2b, but I'm not sure if it will work, or how long it will last.Here are the specs: USB External Battery Pack 20000mAh Dual Output 5.1/2.1A;5.1/1.0A Full Specs Here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OHZ ... K718EJ8QC0
So i need to know if it will work and how long it will last. Thanks!

After reading the reviews, I'm not sure if that item will work either, although the specs say it should be suitable.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Pi^2 = 4e - 1

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:34 pm

BMS Doug wrote: After reading the reviews, I'm not sure if that item will work either, although the specs say it should be suitable.
What review makes you say that? I have This power bank, that can power a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B but I can't say how long it's charge would last.
Unity is the sum of the inverse of the factorial of all natural numbers exponentiated by the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter and the positive square root of the opposite of unity

Code: Select all

1 =  Σ(1/N!) ^ [ (C/D) * |√-1| ] = e^(π*i)

Tom_A

Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:42 am

Pi^2 = 4e - 1 wrote:
BMS Doug wrote: After reading the reviews, I'm not sure if that item will work either, although the specs say it should be suitable.
What review makes you say that? I have This power bank, that can power a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B but I can't say how long it's charge would last.
I didn't see anything in the reviews, but I've heard about people having problems with some "smart" charger packs. Apparently some of them can turn off unexpectedly since they were designed to recharge phones and might falsely detect a fully charged state if not enough power is being drawn. I have a "smart" battery pack though that I've used a few times and it did not have this issue.

BMS Doug

Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:59 am

Pi^2 = 4e - 1 wrote:
Reviews from Amazon
I ordered 7 more as gifts for family/friends over the holidays. Every single one of them were duds in some capacity (either they wouldn't charge completely or they would charge devices at abysmal rates). After approaching Limefuel, they sent out 7 replacements. I opened two of them to test and they were even more useless than the original batch. So, unfortunately, after my emphatic first review, I am sad to report that Limefuels are not worth the money.
This is the most brittle, poorly soldered electronic device I have ever used! I have used this three times and it's already broken. The power button fell off the circuit board and is non functional. The 2.1A USB Port became loose after three uses and no longer works. I took it apart and it appears that the solder that connects the power button and USB ports is of very poor quality and there is not enough to keep the connections seated over time. Over time the solder will loosen and the contacts on the ports will not be in contact with the solder on the circuit board and the ports will no longer work. This is total junk.
Bought this as a Christmas present for a friend who has an apple device and always running out of battery. Never used the brand before but it was a good price. Received the items (I ordered two) and my friend and I both tried our units immediately. Mine came at 70%, his at 40% and we both charged then first to 100% before using,or tried anyway. His never went above 40% the first week, no matter how he tried to charge it. Mine went to 100, but when using it on an 1800 mAh phone, it dropped to 70%. The math didn't add up. Contacted support, they asked us to fully discharge and charge the units again to capacity. Same thing on my unit, only it would rapidly drop to 70, hang there a while, then rapidly drop to 40 and stayed there 2 hours. The battery calibration wouldn't stabilize. My friend who received his as a gift will not charge above 40% anymore. Limefuel wanted to RMA it, I don't have the time, or patience, first impressions are everything and I won't be using then again, I'll stick with Mpow. I could understand 1 unit, random among hundreds or thousands, but two? With very similar, and awful performance? Not worth the time. And in the future, not worth the deal.
I have had this battery pack for about six weeks, and up until now I have been happy with it.The power button CAME dysfunctional, however at the time I thought nothing of it, partially because it was a new, shiny toy for me to use, and partially because the power button didn't technically need to work because it would automatically detect when there was a USB inserted. Up until this Friday, with the exception of the power button, everything was fine and dandy: I charged my phone (which dies VERY quickly) maybe 3 times a day, every day, as well as my iPad (brand new, battery and everything works great) maybe once a day, and the pack never went below 30%; which was amazing. However, I had a TRIPLE whammy that basically ruined all possible future purchases with this manufacturer: first, the flashlight stopped working. Next, the 1.0A USB port stopped working, simply because... nothing. Nothing looked broken, but without constant and immense pressure applied to the USB, it would not charge anything. Finally (this was the straw the broke the camels back), as displayed in the included picture of the device, the 2.1A USB port simply was pushed far far far into the device itself... Which was both confusing and irritating: how could so much space exist in such a small 20,000 mAh battery? I am now suspect that:
1.) The number 20,000 is far too high, considering the size weight and charging time of the device,
2.) Their was very poor manufacturing concerning the soldering of BOTH ports, as well as the power button, and finally,
3.) I am SOL because the return limit is 30 days, and it has been 45. Even if it had been earlier that the device had broken, and according to other reviews, I would hit the roadblock of:
A.) Not returning repeated calls or emails, or
B.) Replacement rather than a cash refund, resultant in another faulty battery.
I will update my review accordingly if it is needed. I ordered this and received it rather quickly. It was completely dead out of the box so A: I got a lemon that they thought was fine. or B: This product was sitting on the shelf for a long time. If scenario B was the case, that should be a big "no-no" because that is really bad for lithium batteries. Anyway, after being scared I had a brick, it started charging from 00% and did indeed take well overnight to charge, which is perfectly ok given it's a 20 amp battery. When it was at 100% I unplugged it and began charging my devices. I started off with my iphone 5 that was at 50% capacity. (Note the iPhone 5 battery is about 1,400mah.) By the time my iphone reached 100%, the Limefuel was at 75% capacity. I found that rather alarming at first, but it significantly slowed down by that point and started lasting a while like you would expect from a battery of this size. Over the course of the next few days I topped my tablet and phones off as needed. It worked well until I plugged my iphone and my HTC One M8 into it. Immediately, despite the fact that the limefuel was at 46%, it died and refused to turn back on until I "jump started" it with a wall charger. After that it showed 22% capacity and died again as soon as I plugged the HTC into the 2 amp port. Once again I plugged it into the charger and it showed 47% now. Obviously this sounds like a lemon and the harsh review (hopefully) does not reflect all of these devices, but just my experience with the one I got. I already ordered a new one because I like the product if it works like it should. If my review needs to be changed, I'll completely re-write it. Otherwise it will stay the same and I will never order from Limefuel again.
and plenty of others.
Doug.

stubright

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:26 am

I think judging a product wholly on '1 star' reviews is a little pointless. Using that method you probably don't buy anything from anywhere, ever.
91% of people who bought the item gave it four or five stars, which, to me isn't a bad rating.
When I read it 1400 people had reviewed it, 4% give it 1 star, that's 56 people. 56 out of 1400. 91% (1274 people) thought it was good (4 or 5 stars).

I am not saying this is a good or bad product or suitable for the OPs needs, but to dismiss it outright using your methodology is a little misleading.

I have no links to the advertised product.

Stu

solar3000

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 pm

stubright wrote:I think judging a product wholly on '1 star' reviews is a little pointless. Using that method you probably don't buy anything from anywhere, ever.
91% of people who bought the item gave it four or five stars, which, to me isn't a bad rating.
When I read it 1400 people had reviewed it, 4% give it 1 star, that's 56 people. 56 out of 1400. 91% (1274 people) thought it was good (4 or 5 stars).

I am not saying this is a good or bad product or suitable for the OPs needs, but to dismiss it outright using your methodology is a little misleading.

Stu

You do know that companies pay reviewers right?
Some get paid, some get free products.

On the other hand the only real people who review products are people who are angry and want to take it out on someone, anyone.

Whereas the vast majority of people who are either satisfied or indifferent or just threw it aside would never review it.

Why would one battery pack out of 300 thousand get 1400 reviews?

Why is it that some very popular products get practically no reviews?
Antikythera

BMS Doug

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:30 pm

solar3000 wrote:
stubright wrote:I think judging a product wholly on '1 star' reviews is a little pointless. Using that method you probably don't buy anything from anywhere, ever.

Stu

You do know that companies pay reviewers right?
Some get paid, some get free products.

On the other hand the only real people who review products are people who are angry and want to take it out on someone, anyone.

Whereas the vast majority of people who are either satisfied or indifferent or just threw it aside would never review it.

Why would one battery pack out of 300 thousand get 1400 reviews?

Why is it that some very popular products get practically no reviews?
I have left positive reviews for products with no offer of a reward to myself but I'm convinced that the majority of positive reviews are left within the first day of use and not amended if the product subsequently develops a fault.
Doug.

Forrrge

Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:15 pm

You might find this interesting "PiJuice".

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... every-rasp

Return to “General discussion”