pjc123

ODROID-X....Raspberry Pi on Steroids

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:35 pm

This is what the Raspberry Pi would have looked like if they did not have the reasonable price point constraints of $35. It ships at the end of the month for $129. I am happy with the Pi, but I am really liking the specs of this device, especially the following:

Quad Core 1.4 GHz ARM
Quad Core Graphics
1 GB RAM
It can run Ubuntu
Six USB Ports
And the one simple thing that irks me the most that is missing on the pi......mounting holes

Of course this much power comes at the cost of requiring double the electrical power (5V, 2Amps). It is only slightly larger than the Raspberry pi.

http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/ ... 3999328931
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Re: ODROID-X....Raspberry Pi on Steroids

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:48 am

Ships at the end of July ... but, up to 4 - 5 weeks delay when stocks are depleted.
pjc123 wrote:It is only slightly larger than the Raspberry pi.
It's nearly twice the size of the Pi: 90 x 94 mm for the ODROID-X vs. 85.60 mm x 53.98 mm for the Pi. There's where the room for your mounting holes comes from (not to mention the extra four USB ports, microphone input jack, vastly larger microprocessor and RAM daughterboard, etc.). The Pi is easily mounted at the edges or corners with machine screws or threaded stand-offs, rubber grommets, nuts, and washers.

There is a WiFi dongle and a camera module supposedly available - Eben just announced at the Cambridge Jam that the Pi camera will be available within about a month at around $25. A WiFi dongle that just works with the Pi on initial boot-up would be a big improvement.

Android without a multi-touchscreen? Useless. Ubuntu 12.04 ... better.

"Community-driven projects & supports" - "supports" as in structural columns? Chairs? Crutches? Notice there are no URLs to a community, projects, or "supports".
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

pjc123

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:19 am

Jim Manley wrote: "Community-driven projects & supports" - "supports" as in structural columns? Chairs? Crutches? Notice there are no URLs to a community, projects, or "supports".
Look at the top of the page.

The "Community" tab brings you here:
http://odroid.foros-phpbb.com/

The "Resources" tab brings you here:
http://dev.odroid.com/

Not as big as the pi forums, but it exists, and has been around for a couple of years.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

mkeeley

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:39 am

Too expensive for what it is.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:09 am

pjc123 wrote: The "Community" tab brings you here:
http://odroid.foros-phpbb.com/

The "Resources" tab brings you here:
http://dev.odroid.com/

Not as big as the pi forums, but it exists, and has been around for a couple of years.
When you drill down into the topics and posts, there isn't really much there that's not on most other Android device forums, although at least they haven't had to put up with phone carrier schlockware. The predecessors to the ODROID-X are amazingly overpriced tablets ($850???), hand-held game devices ($350???), development boards (~$400), and other parts ($$$). The ODROID-X appears to be yet-another configuration of the evolving components of the predecessor products in an attempt to ride the coattails of the popularity of the Pi ... at four times the price, although it is a quad-core device, so ... :)

If only they had started with the ODROID-X a year earlier at half the price. It continues to amaze me how many hardware-oriented companies start at a price point above their cost of manufacture in the mistaken belief that over time the volume will magically ramp up and that they can then reduce the unit price to follow the price curve downward to the product's actual market value. Instead, the initial high price keeps the volume from ever developing and hence, the price never drops - that's the result of grossly inadequate initial and ongoing operating capital. It doesn't help when they introduce yet-another me-too product in an already overcrowded marketplace.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats

Lob0426

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:58 am

@Jim Manley do not forget the greed factor either. They start at a high price and then we are dumb enough to buy it. So why drop the price if the market is willing to pay it. Example: Trimslice it is going up in price not down. They started low and the raised the price with demand and then added features and raised it again.
http://trimslice.com/web/models
The base model started at around $179 now it is $213
You cannot hardly get a Beagle Board xm, the price stays the same and there is no real ramp up of production. Panda Boards are relatively easy to get but the price stays up. Drop the price on those and you would not be able to get them so easily. So the capitalist marketing says that when there is a glut you drop the price: nope. When there is a high demand you raise the price, and produce more: nope. Drop the Beagle Board xM to $99 and there would be even more sold. Of course you would have to produce more too. TI obviously does not want to sponsor more boards, or a lower price.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

wussie

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:39 am

There has been another quad core arm board announced, this time using a Tegra 3 chip (clocked at 900mhz) and in an ITX form factor no less, no more custom cases, just buy one premade (many HTPC type cases to chose from). No word of cost just yet, but I'd guess somewhere between 100 and 150 USD. Personally I love my Pi for what it is, and also what it isn't, but that'd make an awesome media center/android gaming device.

**Liliputing article**

Holy One

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:45 am

Nothing wrong with that. The price is a wee bit high but that's a real nice bit of kit. :D
One thing tho, why have they bolted on 50, 000 USB ports?

Jim Manley

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:55 am

Lob0426 wrote:@Jim Manley do not forget the greed factor either ... TI obviously does not want to sponsor more boards, or a lower price.
One of the things that has to be considered is the target market. The very price-sensitive education and low-end consumer market (e.g., the Pi) follows a very elastic curve, as the economists say. Lower the price a bit, and you get a roughly linear increase in demand. Keep lowering the price and demand starts to increase low-exponentially. Get the price low enough and demand becomes high-exponential (essentially, price goes into the denominator, and as it approaches zero, demand goes essentially infinite, or some fraction/multiple of the population capable of buying).

True development boards for devices that don't exist as finished products yet never sell in consumer electronics numbers, so, the development and manufacturing costs have to be spread across a much smaller number of units. At TiVo, our first-tape prototype boards cost upwards of $50,000 for one board, depending on how much hardware debugging was required (we eventually got to zero-defects on first power-up after about half a dozen model generations, which was about when the shift to Broadcom processors occurred, coincidentally). The second one was roughly half that, and so forth as production volume increased to hundreds of alpha software developer boards/boxes, when the per-box cost was under $1,000 each. The ultimate per-box cost of the consumer production versions is proprietary, but, let's just say that a profit was made on every box sold once the first few tens of thousands were produced at maquilladoras (Texas/Arizona/New Mexico adjacent Mexican border town plants). When we needed hundreds of thousands to millions of a model, the only show on the planet was China.

As has been pointed out, since many of these "development" boards don't have lower-level hardware interfaces (e.g., GPIO, SPI, etc.), it's not really clear who they're aimed at, since they're almost the cost of a low-end desktop PC with much more power. I think the market for these has been slowly getting drained away by closed, easy-to-use devices at nearly the same prices at one end, and low-end desktop systems just below those prices. The manufacturers just haven't woken up and smelled that there's no more coffee.

There is a rumor among angel investors (they handle investments too small for venture capitalists or investment banks who now won't invest much below $100 million and expect returns of tens of billions) that there are about 10,000 people who will buy one of anything because they can afford to and, sometimes, that's enough volume to get a startup going. Witness the Google Glass gizmo that upward of 6,000 people (not nearly all real developers) are going to pay Google $1,500 each for the privilege of receiving beta-at-best, known-to-be-buggy toys that no one has any idea what they will actually do with them. That is, no idea other than look dorky, and record a potential plunge to their death parachuting out of a dirigible or ramp-jumping BMX bikes between convention center building roofs. :lol:

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Hmmm.... Now if this thing included a SATA interface and could handle a modest sized SSD (say, 64GB), I'd have a use for 2 or 3 of them...as a set of redundant database servers to use in place of my aging dual-Opteron (240) system...

eLJay

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:16 pm

If you want a SATA connection you want to apply to be informed about the next batch of cubieboards.

http://cubieboard.org/

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:59 pm

eLJay wrote:If you want a SATA connection you want to apply to be informed about the next batch of cubieboards.

http://cubieboard.org/
That's a very interesting board...and from their replies to comments, it looks like the price is in the $50 to $60 range, though I'd bet that's with the 512MB memory, not the 1GB.

It does look like it would work with the application I have in mind...that being the server side of convention registration system where I'm going to use Pis for the data entry workstations connecting to a central server to actually run code and handle the database. With those boards, I could set it up with MySQL databases running in sync, and ever have a spare system in case one fails, with the database storage on either an HDD or SDD.

Since the current server is about 10 years old, is contained in a full tower, and weighs about 40 lbs., moving to something that small has some real appeal.... The $4 open side case (really, just two sheets of plexiglass with bolts run through the mounting holes) is very neat, too.

Return to “General discussion”