jmcastellano

Power Raspberry Pi through GPIO pins

Sun May 31, 2015 8:52 pm

Searching the website I have not found information regarding powering the Raspberry Pi board through the +5V and +3V pins on the GPIO. Looking at the schematic, it appears that it would be possible to do this. Care should be taken, though, to not also try to power through the USB connector.
Another side question: Since the board being attached draws too much current for the Raspberry Pi to power it, and it needs it's own power source, should the +5V and +3V pins on the GPIO be no connects?

joan

Re: Power Raspberry Pi through GPIO pins

Sun May 31, 2015 9:03 pm

You can not power the Pi via the gpios.

You can power the Pi via a 5V and a ground rail pin on the expansion header. You could instead power via a 3V3 and a ground rail pin on the expansion header if you don't need USB or HDMI or any 5V peripherals.

davidcoton

Sun May 31, 2015 9:08 pm

You can power the Pi through the GPIO at 5V, but it bypasses the polyfuse so you should provide your own protection.

3V3 is regulated on board from the 5V supply. The 3V3 on GPIO is not (AFAIUI) intended as an input, as you cannot then power the 5V parts of the Pi.

If you have independently powered circuits connected to your Pi, then usually there will be no connection at 5V or 3V3. Ground should be connected.
Signature retired

jmcastellano

Sun May 31, 2015 9:10 pm

Thank you. Yes, I meant the GPIO header, not the GPIO pins. (The +5V pin on the expansion header.)

henryhanselscott

Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:04 am

This is the ONLY way that I will power a pi. I do use an external fuse to protect things if something goes wrong.

Henry

Return to “General discussion”