henryhanselscott

Bottom line on RTC

Sun May 31, 2015 10:41 am

Suppose that I have a Rpi2 that is field deployed with no internet connection. I have a RTC installed (DS3231) and I want the pi to read the RTC on boot every time and write it to the system time. I cannot seem to find any definitive information on the net for this. Depending on what you read, you change the rc.local file or not. Also, some of the information is dated now and not relevant to the Rpi2 concerning the blacklist and i2c tools.

Could someone help me navigate through the correct procedure?

Thank you,

Henry

rotwang

Re: Bottom line on RTC

Sun May 31, 2015 1:06 pm

+1 to this. Ever since the first RTC add-ons appeared, I've kept hoping that a "real-hwclock.deb" would appear which simply replaced fake-hwclock with a real-hwclock, or better yet, just "hwclock" which uses an RTC if it finds one, and falls back to what fake-hwclock currently does if it can't. As a bonus, integrating RTC into the startup scripts would make transition to Jessie a lot less traumatic, since most of the instructions which are supplied for Wheezy will be downright wrong for Jessie.
Half the stuff that gets added to rc.local shouldn't ever be there in the first place, it should have been put into a proper start-up script. So - any volunteers, I can't break off from my current projects to look at what's needed, but I could probably find time to do some testing, as a have two or three different RTC modules available (none of whose install instructions work satisfactorily.)
henryhanselscott wrote:Suppose that I have a Rpi2 that is field deployed with no internet connection. I have a RTC installed (DS3231) and I want the pi to read the RTC on boot every time and write it to the system time. I cannot seem to find any definitive information on the net for this. Depending on what you read, you change the rc.local file or not. Also, some of the information is dated now and not relevant to the Rpi2 concerning the blacklist and i2c tools.

Could someone help me navigate through the correct procedure?

Thank you,

Henry

Return to “General discussion”