DougieLawson

Re: Running x86 apps on ARM

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:26 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:12 pm
Lets face it one can buy a used x86 miniPC for less than the price of a RPi + Exagear :o
You are not wrong when you can pick up a netbook for £13 and all it needs to get it running is a replacement HDD. If your cheapo netbook has a good HDD that just needs a reformat and a fresh OS install you can get a Linux system (running Raspbian X86 RPD) for £13.

We were playing with a £13 netbook and a £8 USB camera (on a 10 metre cable) at the SWAB Pi IG meeting last night.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

tenochtitlanuk

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:28 pm

When you are into your seventies it is nice to be able to run familiar software. I enjoy Python et al, but started out on versions of BASIC decades ago.
I tried the 3-day free-trial of Exagear and found it did indeed let me run the x86 'Liberty BASIC' which is a favourite, on my Pi's..
Paying for it seemed good value.
I know other BASICs are available for Pi/ARM, but LB is the one I know best.
I too have PIXEL x86 running on an eePC. But wouldn't want to build it into a hardware project/interfacing setup..

hippy

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 pm

tenochtitlanuk wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:28 pm
I tried the 3-day free-trial of Exagear
Not having a free trial or demo version back in 2016 is why I never tried it. Good to see there now is one. Can you ( or pUnK ) provide a link to that because I couldn't find one

sudo apt-get install exagear-desktop

Then click on the "exagear" desktop icon, complete the form. Haven't done that yet because I need to plan to make sure I make best use of the trial period.

pUnK

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:35 pm

hippy wrote:
Here a bit more details:
https://docs.eltechs.com/install-and-co ... ktop-trial
ExaGear Desktop - run x86 apps on Raspberry Pi
pUnK from Eltechs

hippy

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am

pUnK wrote:
hippy wrote:
Here a bit more details:
Many thanks. It may be worth going back and editing posts in this thread which say there isn't a trial to note there now is. I am surprised there wasn't more of an announcement because there are probably quite a lot of people who won't buy before trying. Maybe there was and I missed it.

zia.7575

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Hi Everybody,

I have question-related to configuring mono develop with dot net framework 4.5.

I have installed wine using an ExaDesktop software. After that, I installed dot net framework using wine. It all worked out well. but Problem is I am still unable to run C# application on MonoDevelop. It looks like MonoDevelop does not recognize the installation of dot net framework.

Can anybody help me what to do about? How should I give a reference or set PATH to the installed dot net framework? Thanks.

Best,
Zia

runboy93

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:10 pm

Got this email from Exagear:
Hello!

ExaGear Desktop in apt-get repository of Raspbian Stretch was updated on
August 26, 2017. So now there is a working and successfully tested version.
https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ ... n/?C=M;O=D

joeyreichard

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:17 am

why not just make qemu the operating system then make it automatically boot from a usb drive upon boot on pi with just qemu as the os you could allocate the ram to the vm im gonna try windows to go on qemu if it will work with just qemu it cuts the ram usage down just use the text boot to boot directly from usb im not a dev and i don't know how to code but i hope one takes this idea and does something with it could be useful in the future that way we could run whatever os if the ram is good enough for the operating system i would like to run remix os that way and have true android instead of some crap commercial os with a time limit

MaxVMH

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:24 pm

joeyreichard wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:17 am
i would like to run remix os that way and have true android instead of some crap commercial os with a time limit
Maybe you're interested in Lineage OS for Raspberry Pi? Android, no time limit.
Webserver stack: 2x Pi 3B | 1x Pi 3B+ ||| Pi Zero W for fooling around

Working on a soccer prediction web app:
https://github.com/MaxVMH/mijnscore
Attempt at writing up-to-date tutorials on making a Raspberry Pi webserver:
http://blog.mijnscore.be/

joeyreichard

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:47 am

lineage sucks with the dam privacy guard it keeps popping up just to run an app as root i can click remember and it doesn't save the settings and sometimes i'll lose the dev options forcing me to reformat the sdcard and reinstall pinn-lite its very annoying i have the rpi 3 model b i bought it on ebay lineage runs apps in background and i have to keep closing them or restarting the device remix os is better for that can i suggest getting a remix os arm image and port it to the pi http://www.jide.com/remixos/devices/pinea64 theres also an image for nanopi2 http://www.jide.com/remixos/devices/nanopi2 im afraid my knowledge is limited to sudo apt-get ,cd,rm i haven't got the slightest clue how to even code just like i suck at gta 5 but hey at least im honest lmao
Last edited by joeyreichard on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

joeyreichard

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:29 am

hippy wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:29 am
pUnK wrote:
hippy wrote:
Here a bit more details:
Many thanks. It may be worth going back and editing posts in this thread which say there isn't a trial to note there now is. I am surprised there wasn't more of an announcement because there are probably quite a lot of people who won't buy before trying. Maybe there was and I missed it.
i could never get that to work cause its just a trial version and not "free" i thought linux is supposed to be opensource and they are charging to use an application that may or may not work but thats why i mentioned making qemu run like exagear on command line interface at startup that way a person can choose an os that they really want to emulate without it being super slow like windows xp or some other x86 os
Last edited by joeyreichard on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heater

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:46 am

joeyreichard,
i thought linux is supposed to be opensource and they are charging
Indeed, the Linux kernel and much of what runs on top of it is Free and Open Source software.

That does not mean that one cannot create closed source software for it. It also does not mean one cannot ask for money for programs that run on it, open source or otherwise.

Personally I find the idea of paying for an emulation of the worlds worst instruction set architecture somewhat amusing.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

joeyreichard

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:25 am

Heater wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:46 am
joeyreichard,
i thought linux is supposed to be opensource and they are charging
Indeed, the Linux kernel and much of what runs on top of it is Free and Open Source software.

That does not mean that one cannot create closed source software for it. It also does not mean one cannot ask for money for programs that run on it, open source or otherwise.

Personally I find the idea of paying for an emulation of the worlds worst instruction set architecture somewhat amusing.
i will most likely pay to emulate an x86 os on my pi 3 with just CLI and qemu it was cool to install raspbian lite via pinn and install lxde on it and use it and sudo raspi-config to change it from cli to desktop in boot options but if i can do that why not make qemu or qemu launcher the desktop environment and solve everyones x86 emulation or wine questions iv'e used dosbox before to play wolfenstein 3d on an android phone lol we need something better then the windows iot crap which i've never been able to install they make you jump through hoops of fire with gasoline on

puccaso

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:06 am

would be really nice if it could run x86_64
it only does i686
and like, google doesn't build for i686 anymore..
if we could get x86_64 working, then we could get google chrome maybe installed directly on the debian image, without having to involve wine, and thus maybe get netflix working..

but they only support i686 :'(

i bought the app too! but it had no idea about this before.. there went 20 quid..

code_exec

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:56 am

Paying money just to be able to run i386 programs? No thanks.

Some time ago, I made a package called Pi386, which is a compatibility layer for the Pi 2 and 3. It includes a custom 3G/1G kernel required to use WINE. I was able to run LibreOffice 6.1 and Lightshot on the Pi using it.

Please be aware that 64-bit x86 (amd64) software cannot run since Raspbian is a 32-bit OS.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=226376
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

code_exec

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:59 am

You MAY, and I say 'may' here because I cannot confirm this would work, be able to compile the RPi's kernel with virtualisation support and then compile qemu-kvm for the Pi, and then run an OS such as Windows XP in QEMU.

code_exec

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:08 am

puccaso wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:06 am
would be really nice if it could run x86_64
it only does i686
and like, google doesn't build for i686 anymore..
if we could get x86_64 working, then we could get google chrome maybe installed directly on the debian image, without having to involve wine, and thus maybe get netflix working..

but they only support i686 :'(

i bought the app too! but it had no idea about this before.. there went 20 quid..
Eltechs CLEARLY KNEW that Google had stopped supporting 32-bit Linux.

On their tutorial page on how to get Google Chrome running (https://eltechs.com/run-google-chrome-on-raspberry-pi) there's a YouTube video about installation and running Chrome on the Pi. When launching the browser, the user quickly closed the warning message saying that this computer won't receive Chrome updates anymore.

The timestamp of the warning is 0:29.

DavidS

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:31 pm

If the goal is to run x86 software that will not port to the ARM, which would be DOS, OS/2, BeOS, Win16, Win32, CP/M86, MP/M86, DR-DOS Plus, GEM (x86), and similar targeted software, would not a better starting point be to have the emulator boot into ReactOS?

At least then most of the Windows NT (eg XP) programs will run native on the guest OS, and I think that the WoW (Windows on Windows, to run Windows 16 bit stuf on NT based windows) is coming along for ReactOS, likely to be usable by now (the 32-bit side has been usable for a long time now, I use it in FastDOSBox on RISC OS to toy with some of the worste programs I have ever seen [Win32 Programs]).
Joe Schmoe wrote: From your description, these sound like DOS, not Windows, games.

But in any case, I don't really consider pre-Win95 to really be Windows.

Maybe I should have said "32 bit Windows (x86) apps".
(Yes, I'm aware that there were sorta, kinda, ways to run 32 bit before Win95, things like Win32s, etc, but that doesn't really count...)
Ok I know that is an old comment, though.

Not correct, Win32s was only to run SOME already existing Windows 32 bit software on the 16 bit version of Windows.

Windows NT was 32 bit from the start, and dates back to the time of Windows 3. The two were seperate projects. Windows 95 came out of the 16-bit windows with the ability to run more of the NT programs in the same way that Windows 3.x did (with a bit of improvement in many areas).

The original Windows line that includes Windows 3.1, 95, 98, and ME died after Windows ME.

It was Windows NT 3 that evolved to Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows 2008, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and finally Windows 10.

And in turn Windows NT had evolved from MS-OS/2.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “General discussion”