qkumber1

Re: Android

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Would it be possible to get android on the raspberry pi? It should work well with the hardware... Thoughts?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:15 pm

It\'s not on the cards at the moment. On the whole, OSes which are designed for mobile devices don\'t really offer what we need for a desktop device - but I hope there will be some sort of port at some point.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Nexy

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:19 pm

It would be great to have access to the ready-rolled, easily deployed applications from the Android Marketplace. Especially thing like the Napster, Spotify and Pandora clients. Also things like the Citrix Receiver, Skype, GPS Navigation applications like Co-Pilot and NDrive; stuff that companies aren\'t going to compile and release normal ARM/Linux versions for. It\'ll also lessen the impact of not having proper Flash on the devices (and I\'ll go out on a limb and suggest Adobe will not keep an up-to-date fully featured port of Flash for ARM/Linux). While there are a huge number of great software packages available for ARM/Linux, some commercial software is not replaceable with the free alternatives. I\'d love to see hardware accelerated CM7 running on RasPi.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:24 pm

I haven\'t used this at all myself, but I wonder if there\'s any value in the \"Android Compatibility Layer\" projects. e.g.
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News ... for-MeeGo/

bnolsen

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:34 pm

The biggest problem with android will be RAM. I think most *modern* android devices have 512MB on them, and they only have 840x480 or equivalent resolution. It\'ll definitely be challenging, and likely limited.

Return to “General discussion”