Real Gold

is raspberry pi suitable for industrial application

Thu May 21, 2015 2:12 pm

is raspberry pi suitable for industrial application like injection molding machine
and packing machine ?? and other

scotty101

Re: is raspberry pi suitable for industrial application

Thu May 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Is the Pi designed to be an industrial controller? No
Will the Pi be able to control my industrial application? Yes probably with some work and additional hardware
Will the Pi be robust enough to survive an industrial environment? You'll need to test it.

In short, yes but a specific industrial controller will always be better!
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Real Gold

Thu May 21, 2015 3:35 pm

with some work and additional hardware
what is the additional hardware ??
and what is the specific industrial controller do you advice to use ??
do you mean plc ?? if plc may you advice me about the model and kind
i am waiting for your reply
please replay my questions thank you

scotty101

Thu May 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Given that you have given no detailed information about the machine you wish to control, it is impossible to give you any further information.

Do you have any professional training that might qualify you to develop an industrial controller using a raspberry pi? An electronics degree perhaps?
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Real Gold

Thu May 21, 2015 4:04 pm

in fact i am a student in a faculty of computers and information and want to build a desktop injection molding machine ?? (stepper motors - temperature controller- hydraulic unit) on if i want to develop it in the future or build a big machines like packing machines and others which way should i take ??

henryhanselscott

Thu May 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Sounds like in general you need to continue your studies on industrial control systems. I have worked with many industrial engineers over the past 20 years, they come in all varieties and they all prefer different methods to accomplish the same goals. Its kind of like cooking, a cook will develop a liking to particular ingredients and they will use some of those same ingredients in every dish that they cook. As you learn, you will also develop your own methods and create a "tool set" that you will prefer to use to tackle automation projects. I myself have come to like using this company's products:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Home/Home

I do not work for them or have any affiliation with them. But, they offer free software for the bulk of their products and have many online video training sessions offered for free. I have used them for the past 10 years and have spent well over $100,000.00 (not my personal money, company money) on their products. The Click series of PLCs are a great learning platform and you can migrate up to the PAC series with a small learning curve.

As far as the pi goes for industrial use, I have used them in a manufacturing environment. At this point, I am not using them for anything "Mission Critical", just data collection and reporting. So far, absolutely no issues with heat, dirt, and 24/7 operation.

Henry

Jhon Jairo Teran

Wed May 11, 2016 3:39 pm

Hello Henry,

I'm working on a project to replace old computers (windows xp) that are connected to several weight scales (bus of up to 32 scales) that make controlling and reading data using serial port communications. I want to replace this old computers by raspberry PI, adding the posibility to send data to mobile app's (using websockets, and may be a database like mysql for persistence), the old computers are isolated from other systems o applications. Do you think the raspberry pi would be an option to replace this computers?.

Thank you very much in advanced.

Best regards.

Jhon Jairo.

Return to “General discussion”