raspfly

Accessories

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:18 pm

When we place an order for RP what things are supplied free with it (in box) and what are the minimum accessories that we need to purchase without which we cannot use RP ? Are the in box content from RS and Element 14 the same ?

chadtrh

Re: Accessories

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Take a look at this link:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =63&t=4277

When you buy the unit, you get the Raspberry Pi ONLY. No cables, no power supply, no monitor. Just the RPi

Gert van Loo

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 pm

chadtrh wrote:Take a look at this link:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =63&t=4277

When you buy the unit, you get the Raspberry Pi ONLY. No cables, no power supply, no monitor. Just the RPi
Don't forget the box it comes in! :)

raspfly

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanx

(1) Do we get the SD card (free) with OS or we do not get that too :)

(2) If i use a usb AC Adapter that we plug into a mains outlet and gives us a usb port and a usb cable that ends in a microUSB connection then i hope it should be ok for power supply ?
Do we need to ensure that it says it can output 5V with at least 700 mA (for model B) even if we use a usb AC Adapter ?

(3) In case of doubt can i attach my RP to the usb port of my laptop for power supply ?

KCarscadden

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:16 pm

raspfly wrote:Thanx

(1) Do we get the SD card (free) with OS or we do not get that too :)

(2) If i use a usb AC Adapter that we plug into a mains outlet and gives us a usb port and a usb cable that ends in a microUSB connection then i hope it should be ok for power supply ?
Do we need to ensure that it says it can output 5V with at least 700 mA (for model B) even if we use a usb AC Adapter ?

(3) In case of doubt can i attach my RP to the usb port of my laptop for power supply ?

(1) No SD card comes with the RPi unless you order it separately.

(2) Yes, you should still ensure it supplies at least 700 mA.

(3) The specs for usb ports say they only need to supply 500 mA, so there is a high probability that your laptop's usb port will not supply 700mA.

raspfly

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:24 pm

In fact most of the 'Made in China' usb adapters available in my town seem not that reliable abt how much voltage / power output they would actually be giving so in that case if that adapter works fine with other devises then i hope it should work fine with RP too. Am i right ?

raspfly

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:28 pm

And i would use an old TV for video output so how bad can the quality be ?
So i would need a hdmi to RCA cable ?
Hope a cheap cable with RCA on one side and VGA on the other works ?

Gert van Loo

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:37 pm

raspfly wrote:And i would use an old TV for video output so how bad can the quality be ?
So i would need a hdmi to RCA cable ?
Hope a cheap cable with RCA on one side and VGA on the other works ?
1/ No, you don't need a cable as the PI has a composite video output. You can plug that direct in your video input (often a yellow socket)
Beware of the video format, I believe default it is NTSC, for PAL or Secam you need to update the config file (Search the forum)
2/ You can not convert HDMI to RCA with a cable as HDMI is digital and RCA is analogue.
3/ You can not convert RCA to VGA as RCA is a single analogue signal and VGA is three analogue signals plus sync signals.

raspfly

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:41 pm

(1) So basically i will be able to use the old TV with a simple inexpensive cable ?

(2) Most of the 'Made in China' usb adapters available in my town seem not that reliable abt how much voltage / power output they would actually be giving, so in that case if that adapter works fine with other devises then i hope it should work fine with RP too. Am i right ?

(3) And where can i see a list of accessories for RP and their price on RS website, as i am not able to search for that.

kaos

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 pm

1) Yes, a simple RCA - RCA cable is enough, provided that your TV has an RCA video in socket. Mind you, the resolution you get that way is limited, and if you are using an old fashioned CRT TV, the flickering is v. annoying. I recommend a HDMI or DVI monitor if you have the option.

2) Not necessarily. Your other devices may not be as power hungry or sensitive to voltage as the Raspi. You need to make sure that your power supply can deliver at least 700mA. Most USB chargers can do that, but not necessarily all. It must also deliver 5V; anything with a USB connector should do that, but since you are already courting eye strain checking the current rating, you might as well confirm the voltage at the same time. Of course, talk is cheap; just because a power supply claims to be 5V 700mA, doesn't necessarily mean it will live up to these claims. Unfortunately, the only way to make sure is to test it under load. Note that "Made in China" is no indication of quality or lack thereof; most mobile phone chargers manufactured today seem to be made in China, and most of them will work without a problem. The Raspi is made in China, for that matter.

3) When I ordered mine (from RS) I got a link to a special Raspi ordering page which also had a list of accessories / related items. Mind you, they managed to bollocks my order by sending a UK type power supply instead of EU, and haven't even bothered to reply to my complaint, so I'm afraid I can't , from personal experience, recommend ordering accessories from them. They did, however, get me my Raspi, both fast and cheap, so I can't give them an absolute F; more like a D-.

--
Best regards, Kári.

raspfly

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Thanx

(1) Yes i understand that 'Made in China' stuff ! because i am in China since some years and every day i see things around here. Last month i had to buy a laptop power supply and there were ones available from 50 rmb to 350 rmb from 'authorised' company store and there was no way to make out which one was original and which one was fake, all looked nearly the same :) Here we get 'fake' apple accesories on the roadside like candies !

(2) I would try and look for some cheap small size display with hdmi port, hope it is available. Is there any tech spec to look out for in such displays. I saw some ppl talking abt small 3.5 inch LCD but i am not too technical to be sure abt how to use it. Whats yr advise ?

(3) Is it possible to run RP from rechargeable battery ? If so how do we go abt it ?

raspfly

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 am

Can any one kindly tell me how much does a charger and a pre-loaded SD card costs when purchased with RP on any of the two official sites.
Better if one could provide me with a link.

PaulCheffus

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:20 am

raspfly wrote:Can any one kindly tell me how much does a charger and a pre-loaded SD card costs when purchased with RP on any of the two official sites.
Better if one could provide me with a link.
Hi

No direct link I'm afraid as I bought mine from RS and once you have placed the order you can't get back in.

Chargers can be seen here at the bottom of the page (it moves so may not be instantly visible)
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisp ... aspberrypi

My pre loaded 4Gb card was £9.99

Funnily enough though I haven't actually used the image on the card as I went straight to the Wheezy beta when my Pi arrived. So I could have saved myself £9.99. I also bought a couple of Kingston 8Gb cards from Amazon for about £3.75

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Reider

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:42 am

If it helps the £1 HDMI Cables from the poundshops work really well. Several people confirmed it before I got one to replace the one I used from my Digital Recorder.

Steve

raspfly

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanx

raspfly

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:09 pm

I found a few displays available in the market with the following specs :
(These are cheap chinese made stuff and often the actual spec is inferior to what is printed in the manual)

12-inch multimedia LCD TV:
12.1 inch / 4:3 (plus tempered glass)
Color standard
PAL, NTSC, SECAM
Brightness:250cd / ㎡
Frequency:60HZ
Contrast:400:1
Signal response time:0-3ms
The best resolution:1024 * 768
Power adapter requirements:DC: 12V-3A work <12W Standby <1W
Input mode:TV, HDMI, USB, AV, PC-RGB,, Audio
Extensions:Optional USB
OSD language: Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Korean
Display type:Vertical, wall
Supplied Accessories:Power adapter, power cord, remote control, manual, warranty card, etc.
The USB interface can play movies, videos, pictures, music.

------------------------------------

Product Category: 10-inch LCD three-in-one TV (TV + monitor + AV)
Maximum resolution: 1024 x 768
Brightness: 300cd / ㎡
Contrast ratio: 300:1
Pixel Pitch: 0.297
Display color: 16.7m
Horizontal scanning frequency (KHz): 30 ~ 60
Vertical scanning frequency (Hz): 50 to 75
Viewing Angle: 160 (H), 140 (V)
Speakers: 2W +2 W
Input port: Power, VGA, AV, TV, the HDMI, audio input, audio output
Response time: 4ms
Menu language: English Chinese German Spanish Italian French
Key ways: Auto Menu Power Left Right
Input Power: DC +12 V 4A
Accessories: Remote control / external power / manual
Dimension (W x D x H) 270x50x215 (with base height)
Screen Size: 215 * 160
Weight 3.2 Kg

Can anyone kindly tell me which one of these two has better spec / matches better with RP's requirement. I have still not received my RP so i can not check which one works better.

From the attached pics of the ports available i hope it is clear that we can use with the RP's HDMI output. Am I right ?

How abt the resolution, frequency and response time ?

Attachments
ports.jpg
ports.jpg (12.29 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
monitor.jpg
monitor.jpg (32.78 KiB) Viewed 2622 times

AndrewS

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:01 am

It might be better to wait until your Pi arrives, and then try plugging it into each of the TVs (before buying) to see which you prefer?

raspfly

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:53 am

Yes what you say is correct but i just wish to know if the specs mentioned above are good enuf for RP ?

AndrewS

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:27 am

I'm no expert, but AFAIK the frequencies etc. are only relevant for analog (VGA) signals. I think HDMI (digital) connections are fairly well standardised and "just work". So the only factors to look for are refresh rate/response time (how quickly images on the screen can change - only really an issue for gamers I think) and resolution ("how much" you can fit on screen at once).

raspfly

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:33 pm

So is the refresh rate and response time suitable for RP ?

Return to “General discussion”