stillness2health

The quiet Raspberry Pi

Mon May 11, 2015 12:14 am

Hello, again:

I posted a topic on “In search of a quiet mini-computer” for General Discussion, but realized that the discussions went off topic (see Off-topic Discussion) before I had time to check in until now. There are some very useful comments there, but I find the most important is a reference to an ariticle in The Telegraph of this Saturday (May 9):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/we ... d-ill.html

which mirrors what I find as a very important use of Raspberry Pi:

“What I saw in Raspberry Pi (model B and later B+) is a little silent-running (to quote E. Upton) computer fast enough for all that browsing (and e_mail) at home as well as for office work, using only a wire-feed for internet, not getting stuck with Wi-Fi (EMF) emissions like with many other computing devices (better yet, Wi-Fi dongles are available for Raspberry Pi when needed but you would know it is there since one has to plug them in first). The use of Raspberry Pi for daily work brought me back to the grad school days (late eighties) in the ability to think and to write, when at that time one had to visit a special computer center for dedicated tasks such data analysis and graphics visualization. For many years with desktop computing, there has not been a single day of work without muscle strains, eye problem, exhaustion and finally burn-out.....”

As to my uneasiness with using Raspberry Pi 2, many suggested that the unit be placed in some kind of (Faraday) shield to see if it helps reduce the tensions I feel. Indeed, it does and I think a more practical solution will be to use a metallic case for the Pi such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Alum ... ry+Pi+B%2B

which I certainly will try next.

Thanks to all for your interests and help!

Sincerely yours

Nick at stillness2health

ame

Re: The quiet Raspberry Pi

Mon May 11, 2015 1:35 am

Would you care to tell us what equipment you are using to post to this forum?

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 11, 2015 1:46 am

A solid metal case *is* a Faraday cage.

Heater

Mon May 11, 2015 9:28 am

A simple metal box may not be effective at all as a Farady cage.

The problem is it's full of holes. Those holes where the connectors poke out.

Worse still all those cables plugged in there, power, USB, HDMI, are all antennas. Carrying EMI from the inside to the outside where they can radiate very effectively.

As an example, I was amazed when my boss put some equipment inside a totally enclosing metal cabinet. That equipment had a GSM antenna for communications. I was convinced that not enough signal would penetrate that cabinet to allow GSM to work. It did work, a very well. Clearly there were enough little holes in that cabinet and cables passing in and out to allow the GSM signal to pass.

You can do the experiment yourself. Put a mobile phone in your selected box and then try to call it.
I'm very sure it will work.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 11, 2015 10:45 am

stillness2health wrote:Hello, again:

I posted a topic on “In search of a quiet mini-computer” for General Discussion, but realized that the discussions went off topic (see Off-topic Discussion) before I had time to check in until now. There are some very useful comments there, but I find the most important is a reference to an ariticle in The Telegraph of this Saturday (May 9):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/we ... d-ill.html

which mirrors what I find as a very important use of Raspberry Pi:

“What I saw in Raspberry Pi (model B and later B+) is a little silent-running (to quote E. Upton) computer fast enough for all that browsing (and e_mail) at home as well as for office work, using only a wire-feed for internet, not getting stuck with Wi-Fi (EMF) emissions like with many other computing devices (better yet, Wi-Fi dongles are available for Raspberry Pi when needed but you would know it is there since one has to plug them in first). The use of Raspberry Pi for daily work brought me back to the grad school days (late eighties) in the ability to think and to write, when at that time one had to visit a special computer center for dedicated tasks such data analysis and graphics visualization. For many years with desktop computing, there has not been a single day of work without muscle strains, eye problem, exhaustion and finally burn-out.....”

As to my uneasiness with using Raspberry Pi 2, many suggested that the unit be placed in some kind of (Faraday) shield to see if it helps reduce the tensions I feel. Indeed, it does and I think a more practical solution will be to use a metallic case for the Pi such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Alum ... ry+Pi+B%2B

which I certainly will try next.

Thanks to all for your interests and help!

Sincerely yours

Nick at stillness2health
OK it went a bit off-topic, but there are now 3 pages of discussion and no further input from yourself. Please don't just raise another thread asking the same questions.
thanks,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Return to “General discussion”