feverish

easyGUI, anyone? Or apricots?

Sun May 10, 2015 1:29 pm

According to the web, the package to download and install easyGUI is python-easygui. So, sudo apt-get install python-easygui should do the trick? It seemed so, according to Terminal. Then, in a py script, I should be able to import python-easygui? Terminal says NO! No such thing. import easygui? Not on your Nelly! import python-easygui * ? Syntax error. Google is not my friend in this, nor are the forum searches. Is this something to do with a need for another dtoverlay, I ask myself? If so, quite what? ISTR the arabs have a saying, 'bukhra, inshallah, fi'l mishmish' . . . tomorrow, if god wishes, there will be apricots, so apricot-hopes are high right now, in this heathen mind.
If discrimination is not challenged then we are effectively in collusion with the perpetrators of such behaviour:-Oxford dictionaries

kusti8

Re: easyGUI, anyone? Or apricots?

Sun May 10, 2015 1:45 pm

According to the web, you import it as easygui. Try installing it with pip and try again as import easygui

Code: Select all

sudo pip install easygui
Should do it.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

mikerr

Sun May 10, 2015 1:47 pm

Install easygui:

sudo apt-get install python-easygui

import easygui
easygui.msgbox("hello world")
Note easygui needs x windows running...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

feverish

Sun May 10, 2015 2:00 pm

mikerr wrote:Install easygui:

sudo apt-get install python-easygui

import easygui
easygui.msgbox("hello world")
Note easygui needs x windows running...
Thanks. Unfortunately that's how I did install it, with the failure results I mentioned, plus trying later also to include in /boot/config.txt, when it didn't work:- dtoverlay=python-easygui
If not python-easygui, does anyone have a recent install of a close simple equivalent? I see there is a very long list of (many now-also-unsupported) equivalents.
If discrimination is not challenged then we are effectively in collusion with the perpetrators of such behaviour:-Oxford dictionaries

kusti8

Sun May 10, 2015 2:02 pm

I would try installing it via pip like I showed and see if that helps.

feverish

Sun May 10, 2015 2:11 pm

kusti8 wrote:According to the web, you import it as easygui. Try installing it with pip and try again as import easygui

sudo pip install easygui
Should do it.
Thanks. I haven't got pip installed, so I tried sudo apt-get install pip and Terminal said there was no such packet, so now searching for a HowTo. If it works out, I'll report back later :-)

kusti8

Sun May 10, 2015 2:15 pm

Pip's package name is python-pip

feverish

Sun May 10, 2015 2:37 pm

kusti8 wrote:Pip's package name is python-pip
I think I may have become caught up in the 'python 2 or python3' wars? Pip seems to install under python 2.7 and I have python 3.4 installed here. So even after installing pip, apparently I can't use it, as Terminal still reports no such file etc. Anyway, thanks for trying, I'll try to move on to a different GUI-thing.

Jednorozec

Sun May 10, 2015 3:18 pm

If you're running python3 then you need to install python3-easygui. I installed both versions and it works for both python2 and python3. If you want to use pip for something then you need to install python3-pip.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

feverish

Mon May 11, 2015 1:18 am

Jednorozec wrote:If you're running python3 then you need to install python3-easygui. I installed both versions and it works for both python2 and python3. If you want to use pip for something then you need to install python3-pip.
Ah!! Excellent. A small glimmer of light breaks through, thanks to that. I'm off to give them both a try.

feverish

Mon May 11, 2015 1:44 pm

Jednorozec wrote:If you're running python3 then you need to install python3-easygui. I installed both versions and it works for both python2 and python3. If you want to use pip for something then you need to install python3-pip.
That's where I went wrong, many thanks for the cures. Both pip and easygui now work here.

tonywaite

Fri May 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Just to sum up, choose one of the following, depending on your chosen flavour of Python:
sudo pip install easygui
sudo pip-3.2 install easygui

Return to “General discussion”