mvb

Re: Are you ready for the masses?

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Can\'t help myself but have to ask: Will there really be a RPI for everyone available in November? FAQ says there will!
Or is there some delay a-comming?

Ampix0

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:04 pm

They are saying it will most likely be pushed to December. they are apparently waiting on some legal stuff like patents and stuff. as well as packaging from what I hear.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:15 pm

I don\'t think anyone has confirmed for definite, but Liz has said a number of times on these forums they\'re considering having a brief period (e.g. a week or two) after launch where it\'s only available for those willing and able to \'buy one give one\'.

obarthelemy

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:18 pm

The first 10,000 batch will be available only via the buy one - give one program, which should dampen demand a bit ^^ Then, there\'s no theoretical limits to production, any volume will be much lower than the smartphones that use he same components and processes any way, so at worst, delays.
I\'m guessing the ordering and fulfillment process may turn out to be be the thorniest difficulties. Hopefully the Pi foundation will have a good subcontractor ^^

Ampix0

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:23 pm

[quote]Quote from asb on October 26, 2011, 18:15
I don\'t think anyone has confirmed for definite, but Liz has said a number of times on these forums they\'re considering having a brief period (e.g. a week or two) after launch where it\'s only available for those willing and able to \'buy one give one\'.[/quote]
Perfect for me. I want one and I want one as an Xmas gift. Xd so yay i get mine! or for people who want 2 lol

abishur

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:43 pm

The official word is that it is still going to be release in Q4 of this year. Right now that seems like December, and from what I\'ve been told, I don\'t think it has anything to do with legal or packaging concerns ;) The hold up is because they\'re very driven to present a high quality product and are working to get everything just right with the PCB layers/routing.

Which, hey, that\'s the way it should go. If companies released a product when it was ready instead of when the consumer demanded it then Windows 7 would be called Windows Vista, the Xbox 360 wouldn\'t have been famous for it\'s red ring of death, Sony wouldn\'t be releasing a second version of blu-ray that\'s incompatible with the first version, E3 wouldn\'t exist and video games would probably cost $25 a pop.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Blars

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Debian releases when it is ready, rather than to any specific schedule. Sounds like a good fit to the R-pi to me.

kme

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:40 pm

Yeah - rather a delay than a rush. If an engineer put his foot down and say \"guys, we may have a problem here\" you better listen and maybe delay shipping. Never happens in MegaCorps as no one listens to engineers in those places - PR and accounting runs those places.

Bacan

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:43 pm

I have so many arrows in my back, from being an early adapter / pioneer on tech products, I could go as a Porcupine for a o\'hallows eve party. I\'ll wait for a \"finished\" product, as defined and tested by the Engineers, not by a VP of Sales & Marketing needing revenue for an IPO.

Having been a firmware consultant, you learn to work with what your given, and document your desired changes for the next Rev.

crshbndct

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:57 pm

[quote]Quote from abishur on October 26, 2011, 19:43
Which, hey, that\'s the way it should go. If companies released a product when it was ready instead of when the consumer demanded it then Windows 7 would be called Windows Vista, the Xbox 360 wouldn\'t have been famous for it\'s red ring of death, Sony wouldn\'t be releasing a second version of blu-ray that\'s incompatible with the first version, E3 wouldn\'t exist and video games would probably cost $25 a pop.[/quote]

i think AMD\'s FX-8150 is probably at the top of that list. lol

MmmPi

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:13 pm

[quote]Quote from obarthelemy on October 26, 2011, 18:18
The first 10,000 batch will be available only via the buy one - give one program[/quote]
Is that now confirmed or still in the most likely category?
[quote]Quote from Ampix0 on October 26, 2011, 18:23
Perfect for me. I want one and I want one as an Xmas gift. Xd so yay i get mine! or for people who want 2 lol[/quote]
Sounds like you might be misunderstanding \'buy one - give one\'. Its more \'buy one - donate one\'.
You will not be able to choose who gets the 2nd one. Even if you want it donated to a specific non-profit, the logistics become too difficult. It was asked & answered by an mod (Liz?) in another thread.

obarthelemy

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:51 pm

I thought it was confirmed.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Not confirmed yet, but probably the most likely scenario at the moment.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “General discussion”