ric96

Pi Monitor: My first android app [GitHub]

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:19 pm

A few days back The CPU usage for Pi2 Project exited me a lot https://www.raspberrypi.org/visualising ... -the-pi-2/. So, just as to have some experience in android app development, i made my first android app, this app compliments the above mentioned project.
Hence, you must have rCPU installed on a PI2 from https://github.com/davidsblog/rCPU.
APK LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/download/q058g ... onitor.apk
The app is not on the play store as i don't have a justification for the $25 publisher fees on the Play Store.
PS. This is my first attempt on android app development, So pl. be easy on the hate-train. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ric96 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Pi Monitor: My first android app

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:32 pm

ric96 wrote: The app is not on the play store as i don't have a justification for the $25 publisher fees on the Play Store.
The app is NOT on the Play Store, so I have no justification to load your 'first' app on my phone under any circumstances; until you have the justification (and accountability) to pay the fees and abide by the Play Store accountability guidelines. Holy Cow!

PS... if you want everyone to try your app, don't announce that its your 'first' one; also, don't make excuses for your coding (first or not, is it the best you can do?-- don't apologize for it!)

PPS ... the hate-train is part of the gig. If you fill a niche and your stuff is good, well, the hate-train will take care of itself. Just code, and offer your best; let the dust settle as it will.

:geek:
marcus
:ugeek:

ric96

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:35 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
ric96 wrote: The app is not on the play store as i don't have a justification for the $25 publisher fees on the Play Store.
The app is NOT on the Play Store, so I have no justification to load your 'first' app on my phone under any circumstances; until you have the justification (and accountability) to pay the fees and abide by the Play Store accountability guidelines. Holy Cow!

PS... if you want everyone to try your app, don't announce that its your 'first' one; also, don't make excuses for your coding (first or not, is it the best you can do?-- don't apologize for it!)

PPS ... the hate-train is part of the gig. If you fill a niche and your stuff is good, well, the hate-train will take care of itself. Just code, and offer your best; let the dust settle as it will.

WOW
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996

Sleep Mode zZ

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:02 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:

Holy Cow, indeed! Suppose someone started a new hobby, jogging - after all, it is healthy and might be fun. You are like someone telling him/her: "Don't go half-assed about it. You won't make it to the top if you aren't prepared to make real sacrifices."

How do you know that he wants to be a professional developer now - if ever? Why suggest that he should not make excuses for his coding - this is a forum where open communication is appreciated - not a market place where all communication should go through the PR and marketing departments first. If someone wants to make excuses, let him do it. Humility and honesty are greatly appreciated in many places of the world. They are, in the opinion of many, important prerequisites for further learning.
Last edited by Sleep Mode zZ on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkHaysHarris777

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:09 pm

Sleep Mode zZ wrote:Humility and honesty are greatly appreciated in many places of the world. They are, in the opinion of many, important prerequisites for further learning.
Sanctimonious, much?

I gave the man an honest reply to an 'honest' attempt to 'market' his app.apk; this was, how did you say, a learning experience.

My response to you, it goes both ways. If someone dangles a phishing line in front of me (or the forum) I'll just snag it on his anchor road and give it a little tug... everyone will learn something.

PS For one thing, the hate-train... his words... is the five star system of approval ratings... I don't look at it as a hate-train, I view it as a five-star opportunity for approval ratings and a narcissistic ego boost! If an app.apk developer is not willing to submit to that rating system, how humble is she?

;-)
marcus

ktb

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:24 pm

Wow. Just wow.

DougieLawson

Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:25 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote: I gave the man an honest reply to an 'honest' attempt to 'market' his app.apk; this was, how did you say, a learning experience.
I think you were just a bit unfair on the Ric (and I thought I was abrasive). He's a regular poster on here, he's very vocal on Android and you had to shoot him down in flames. I can't write my real thoughts on that because this is a family forum.

I'd like to see the source code for his APK, then I can try it and can suggest improvements (as a process of peer review or mentoring). Since the Raspberry Pi is intended for learning then Ric absolutely should announce his "first" Android app (with a give this a try request) and not have to pay Google's premium to get folks to see it. When it's ready for prime time he can pay the $25 fee to the evil empire. There's no "marketing" going on here.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

MarkHaysHarris777

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:00 pm

DougieLawson wrote:I'd like to see the source code for his APK, then I can try it and can suggest improvements (as a process of peer review or mentoring). Since the Raspberry Pi is intended for learning then Ric absolutely should announce his "first" Android app (with a give this a try request) and not have to pay Google's premium to get folks to see it.
hi Dougie, I respect your opinion, and frankly, if Ric had asked for a peer review my response would have been different. As it is, I stand by my sentiment. Well, for one I don't see google as the evil empire. I see google as a necessary 'evil' in order to maintain a semblance of order and accountability. It always ruffles my feathers (as a long time developer myself) when folks want to 'play' outside the rules, or outside the box if you will. We have a saying here in the States, "If you want to 'play,' you have to 'pay'". Anyone not willing to play within the guidelines of accountability and reasonable protection should not be too surprised if they bump up against some push-back. Again, I respect your opinion, as an educator and very knowledgeable go-to person. But, I do not agree with your take on this issue... I am, as you might have gleaned, on the other end of the spectrum. And, again, if Ric had asked for a peer review of his 'source code' that would have been a horse of another color.

:roll:
marcus

kusti8

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:06 pm

Sure, it would have been better to see the source code or get some verification that the .apk is not a virus, but its downloading a binary, you don't have to have it hosted on a trusted repo. It's his first Android app and he should be proud of it. Since it is his first, he doesn't need to put it on Google Play, nor do I recommend him to, it's his first one. He has been vocal about Android on pi and got his first shot at adding to Android and you discouraged him...
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

DougieLawson

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:10 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:We have a saying here in the States, "If you want to 'play,' you have to 'pay'".
And that is a fundamental difference between Leftpondia and Rightpondia. Here in Europe we have some quite different rules. There are also quite different rules in Ric's sub-continent that used to be part of the British Empire.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

kusti8

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:11 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:We have a saying here in the States, "If you want to 'play,' you have to 'pay'".
And that is a fundamental difference between Leftpondia and Rightpondia. Here in Europe we have some quite different rules. There are also quite different rules in Ric's sub-continent that used to be part of the British Empire.
I'm in the US and have never heard that, nor do I think it is true.

ktb

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:14 pm

Marcus - While I wouldn't try the linked APK on any of my devices without first seeing the source code, I still think your responses have been inappropriate in this context and completely unnecessary.

MarkHaysHarris777

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:46 pm

ktb wrote: . . . I wouldn't try the linked APK on any of my devices without first seeing the source code . . .
I respect your opinion too, ktb; but I'm not sure if you realize that you've just made my point for me (again), in context, and for precisely the reasons I made my points in the first place!

No one would place Ric's app.apk on their device without reviewing the source code, or having some other means (google Play Store) of verifying its credibility and without being able to provide feedback in terms of quality points (five star system).

@ Dougie... the rules are not that much different on opposites sides of the pond, as it were. The Raspberry PI foundation is a charity (but) that does not mean they give their RPi away free, nor do they want people to attempt to clone the PI through some other means and call it the same name... etc. (Arduino is dealing with this issue from Italy, ask them?) If a person works outside of google's system of accountability (they are asking less than 2/3 of the going price of a Raspberry PI) then isn't that a moral (or ethical) issue that we all should be concerned with. I am not 'discouraging' Ric and his first attempt; to the contrary, I am encouraging Ric to play according to the rules and to help maintain the system that protects all Android users... just like I insist that Arduino developers support the Arduino from Italy, and , I expect all Raspberry PI prototypers to support the Raspberry PI foundation in the U.K. -- I expect ALL Android developers to support google's Play Store... its just fair, and its only reasonable.
marcus

kusti8

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:52 pm

@ MarkHaysHarris777

This is Ric's first app and it wouldn't be worth it to publish it. I would like to see the source code, but that doesn't excuse your rather blunt first post.

blachanc

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:59 pm

ric96 wrote:So pl. be easy on the hate-train. :mrgreen:

catch22
This sounds like a contradiction to posting on the PI forum. :lol:
but honestly, you already knew this, no (you are far from a newbie) ? ;)
Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

DougieLawson

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:08 pm

ktb wrote:Marcus - While I wouldn't try the linked APK on any of my devices without first seeing the source code, I still think your responses have been inappropriate in this context and completely unnecessary.
I tried it on the Android Studio emulator running on Windows (I learned two things - how to run the emulator without the studio and how to install an APK on the emulator with adb). That's a environment that is easy to trash and rebuild.

It's not the most sophisticated app, but it does connect to an rCPU server and does the job. It's just a simple web browser with no window decorations (something we could all create in an hour). The rCPU process isn't exactly complex, it reads two system files (/proc/stat and /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp) wraps some JS round it with a simple HTTP POST api.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:21 pm

people please dim it! :shock:

not many rules here, but being civil is a prerequisite ! :roll:

ame

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 pm

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
It doesn't have to be in the Play store. It could be a direct install APK, or it could be in the F-Droid repository (for example).

In fact, being in the Play store is no guarantee of quality or safety, and to think otherwise is foolish.

ric96

Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:54 am

GitHub Link: https://github.com/ric96/rCPU-app
I would have done it earlier, but i guess that's what you get for being lazy. Not really in the mood in earning for android apps as of now as 1) very few people "buy" the app
2) i personally hate adverts on any app.
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996

Douglas6

Re: Pi Monitor: My first android app [GitHub]

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:52 am

I'd say less of a geographic difference, and more of a mind set difference, i.e. 'community' vs. 'marketplace'.

Return to “General discussion”