joesqua

How to connect to a network printer

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:31 pm

Pi2 is running just fine. How do I connect to an HP network printer? PI connected to network OK. Using Epiphany.

kusti8

Re: How to connect to a network printer

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Do you want to access the printer network site or print to the printer?

Look on how to use CUPS, there are plenty of tutorials available on Google.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

morgad

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:35 pm

try using the 'hplip' package ?

joesqua

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:48 pm

Need to print to the printer. I installed hplip but it does not appear anywhere as a printer selection. I am missing something. (ability).

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:58 pm

joesqua wrote:Need to print to the printer. I installed hplip but it does not appear anywhere as a printer selection. I am missing something. (ability).
Raspbian - HPLIP is command line, though if prefer a HPLIP GUI

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

joesqua

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:03 am

OK loaded hp-gui. Finds the printer on the network. When I go to add this hp 7510 printer, it says "printer not found". I tried the cmd line hp-setup as well. Same result. The printer functions perfectly when used with Windows 7 machines on the LAN. Appreciate all the help.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:34 am

joesqua wrote:OK loaded hp-gui. Finds the printer on the network. When I go to add this hp 7510 printer, it says "printer not found". I tried the cmd line hp-setup as well. Same result. The printer functions perfectly when used with Windows 7 machines on the LAN. Appreciate all the help.
Did you mean "HP Photosmart 7510 e-All-in-One Printer" :?:

I had have issues with a newer HP Wireless ePrinter under Linux, so left HPLIP installed and used CUPS to configure the Printer......
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

joesqua

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:42 am

Fruit of the loom: yes, that's the printer. I'll try CUPS.

joesqua

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:38 pm

No luck with CUPS.

Pete13

Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:56 pm

I went down this road last December. I used CUPS for my HP8500 all-in-one. My notes entail a lot of things you probably don't need to do but if you are able to get the Main CUPS screen using your browser, choose the CUPS for Administators and then Adding Printers and Classes. When I finished that, it was still a NO GO because it used the most common [default] driver. I went back and chose the other driver that was shown and that solved my problem.
I have made some assumptions regarding your setting up. Like setting up to a secure location (https), authentifcation with a user name and password (pi and raspberry are the defaults). I am using a wireless (wi-fi) connection.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help but my pile of notes [and trails and errors] are about 1/4 of an inch deep and I can't locate WHERE I got my info online.

Alchmist

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 am

Just a note of thanks

hplip-gui worked great.
Advanced options with each printers IP Address worked in seconds

I found that the printers didn't show up on the windows network, but printing from apps displays the range of printers to print from.
Just what i was looking for.

Thanks again

piinnkkie

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:26 am

joesqua wrote:OK loaded hp-gui. Finds the printer on the network. When I go to add this hp 7510 printer, it says "printer not found". I tried the cmd line hp-setup as well. Same result. The printer functions perfectly when used with Windows 7 machines on the LAN. Appreciate all the help.
Disconnect the power cord from the router.
Turn off the printer.
Close all running programs on your computer, including the HP software installation window, then shut down the computer.
Reconnect the power cord to the router, then wait for the Internet activity light to display a normal connected status.
Turn on the printer.
Turn on the computer.
Try installing the HP driver and software again.
I hope this method works for you. If not, then go to Hp Photosmart 7510 Manual and implement other given fix.

Return to “General discussion”