johnaaronrose

Raspbian Jessie

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:00 am

I understand that Debian Stable is being released on 25 April 2015. Does anybody know when Raspbian will make it available from Raspbian's Downloads web page?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Raspbian Jessie

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:59 am

Are you asking about Raspbian's download page or the raspberrypi.org download page?

Raspbian has had jessie available for quite a while now. raspberrypi.org isn't quite there yet. The next release will still be wheezy, then we're going all out on getting a Jessie release sorted. I don't think it will be more than a week behind Debian, but who knows.

Edit: Boy, was I wrong... Yet another reason giving estimates on things like these is a bad idea.

TimG

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:45 pm

That's excellent news. I'm looking forward to trying out Debian Jessie, and hoping bluetooth support will be better.

johnaaronrose

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:40 pm

I was asking about the https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ page. This already has Wheezy.

ShiftPlusOne

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:42 pm

And that's the answer I gave, because I assumed the original question was worded incorrectly.

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:43 pm

I wouldn't expect Jessie to be part of the stock Raspbian download for a few months (at least) it's going to need lots of work to kick the bugs out of it before it's ready to let it loose on the general population.

Two of my Raspberry Pis are running Jessie and it's not stable.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

ShiftPlusOne

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:44 pm

DougieLawson wrote:I wouldn't expect Jessie to be part of the stock Raspbian download for a few months (at least) it's going to need lots of work to kick the bugs out of it before it's ready to let it loose on the general population.
What kind of bugs?

eriktheitalian

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:05 pm

Distro issue is related with users selection.

Some type user focusing robotics or different electronic projects. They are using x86 desktop pc for everyday desktop computer usage. Terminal screen and rpi1 256mb is enough for them.

Raspbian or riscos, Pi perfect fitting to them.

Some type user focusing desktop usage. Focusing gui and distro. Pi2 is better for their needs.
Now i'm using archlinux. New source is good. Lots of extra source ready at repositories ( like kodi or ioquake or more.... ). Archlinux fbdev driver showing performance like raspbian fbturbo driver.

BFQ scheduler ready to use with stock archlinux kernel. I'm installed

gnome-mate, lxde, xfce 4.12, last of kde, e19. I'm installed all of them from repository. All of them working easily with lightdm.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

Douglas6

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 pm

TimG wrote:That's excellent news. I'm looking forward to trying out Debian Jessie, and hoping bluetooth support will be better.
I wouldn't get too excited. My experience with BlueZ 5 and Pulseaudio 5 showed (maybe) some slight stability improvement, but nothing else too exciting. In fact, they took a step backwards with HFP and HSP. AVRCP is better supported, which is nice when it works. The commandline tool bluetoothctl is a big improvement over the previous handful of utilities, but that's just sugar. BLE support is there, but will take some time to be useful, I suspect.

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:26 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote: What kind of bugs?
Systems that don't reliably boot, systems that don't reliably terminate, things that hang for no apparent reason. Network interfaces that don't come active automatically. I'm pulling power on about 2 out of ten boots that don't complete one way or another.

That's before doing battle with the broken packages that get purged by apt-get for no sensible reason. I'd like fake-hwclock to stay installed because my RTC is on my Wheezy B+ system. That B+ was going to run Jessie but I ended up backing off to Wheezy for my home server.

You've got months of work to do to hammer Jessie into any kind of shape before it's ready for the average NOOBS user. If you don't the forum is going to get very busy.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

ShiftPlusOne

Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:02 am

DougieLawson wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote: What kind of bugs?
Systems that don't reliably boot, systems that don't reliably terminate, things that hang for no apparent reason. Network interfaces that don't come active automatically. I'm pulling power on about 2 out of ten boots that don't complete one way or another.

That's before doing battle with the broken packages that get purged by apt-get for no sensible reason. I'd like fake-hwclock to stay installed because my RTC is on my Wheezy B+ system. That B+ was going to run Jessie but I ended up backing off to Wheezy for my home server.

You've got months of work to do to hammer Jessie into any kind of shape before it's ready for the average NOOBS user. If you don't the forum is going to get very busy.
I haven't had any major issues with it myself (though there have been some). Thanks for the heads up. The plan is to run a jessie release candidate alongside wheezy for a while to get a good feel for it before making it the recommended download.

ShorTie

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:23 am

Post by DougieLawson » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:26 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
What kind of bugs?

I assume you updated wheezy to jessie ??

Although that does work for the most part, It is also known to cause issue's for unknown reasons.

It has always been best to start off fresh, not only on a system that has not been keep up to date,
but especially for a new distros.

Have A Great Day
ShorTie ;)

gkreidl

Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:43 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote: I haven't had any major issues with it myself (though there have been some). Thanks for the heads up. The plan is to run a jessie release candidate alongside wheezy for a while to get a good feel for it before making it the recommended download.
Will there also be a dist-upgrade after a while? I'm running Raspbian from HDD and would hate to set up a completely new system.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

rpdom

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:40 am

gkreidl wrote:Will there also be a dist-upgrade after a while? I'm running Raspbian from HDD and would hate to set up a completely new system.
What's stopping you testing a dist-upgrade now? The software is all there and ready to try.

The more people (ideally experienced users) who test out Jessie on the Pi and provide proper reports of any problems, the better :-)

I'm actually running Jessie on two of my Pis and two Debian systems at the moment, but they all run headless and I've disabled systemd for now as it caused a few hiccups which I haven't had time to investigate yet. Other than that they are running fine.

DougieLawson

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:11 pm

Both of my Jessie systems are running systemd, because it's not clear whether DebIan is sticking with sysvinit or migrating to systemd.

All of my Raspberry Pis run headless apart from the one which is running FreeBSD (while I try to understand that thing).

rpdom

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:32 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Both of my Jessie systems are running systemd, because it's not clear whether DebIan is sticking with sysvinit or migrating to systemd.
There has been much discussion (ranting) about this on various lists. It has been made clear (at great length and very loudly) that Debian Jessie (at least) will run systemd by default. sysvinit will work, but certain software will depend on systemd (I'm looking at you, Gnome!).

One of the problems I had with systemd was when I had my /home filesystem on an external drive and the drive wasn't available systemd stalled the boot for two minutes to wait for the drive to appear, then dropped into a maintenance mode which didn't give me any useful options. Without systemd I could have booted the system and at least logged in as root locally (I have local root login with password enabled on all of my systems).

Joe Schmoe

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:37 pm

systemd is a disaster. That's clear. Certainly from any sort of "end user point of view". I.e., unless you enjoy being part of the beta cycle, it will be a disaster for you.

Interestinly, I'm sort of in-between. Although I'm not totally opposed to trying out new crash-and-reboot software, I think I'll sit systemd out - at least for a few years.

Let others enjoy the pain.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

ShiftPlusOne

Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Please don't derail this topic into a systemd vs sysvinit argument. Feel free to start another thread for that, but such posts will be deleted here.

eriktheitalian

Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm tried ubuntu, debian jessie, raspbian beta, archlinux arm. Best of them archlinux arm (for me).
Good stability for very new sources. Lots of extra package. Fast bugfixes. What i need in my hands.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

swdrumm

Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:53 pm

Any update on this thread? Raspberrypi.org still shows wheezy as the recommended distro. Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:53 am

swdrumm wrote:Any update on this thread? Raspberrypi.org still shows wheezy as the recommended distro. Thanks!
The RPF have never released information regarding release dates of any hardware or software since the launch of the Original RPi.

The rule appears to be it will be ready when it is ready ;)
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

ShiftPlusOne

Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Deleted a few posts. If you want to complain about systemd, do it in a relevant thread.
fruitoftheloom wrote:
swdrumm wrote:Any update on this thread? Raspberrypi.org still shows wheezy as the recommended distro. Thanks!
The RPF have never released information regarding release dates of any hardware or software since the launch of the Original RPi.

The rule appears to be it will be ready when it is ready ;)
This case is a little different, since almost all progress is out in the open. The repo is populated with packages which are either ready or almost ready. There are some packages which aren't ready and are still being worked on and some which are missing entirely because there's a significant amount of work that needs to be done on them. If someone is curious, they can take a look.

DougieLawson

Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:09 pm

I can see there's been a massive amount of updates to Jessie but with three NFS mounts (/home included) I can never get a Jessie system to reboot without using the magic [CTRL][ALT][SysRq] & [CTRL][ALT] key sequence.

So at the moment Jessie is still not ready for the general population.

gdt

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:11 am

I'm not as negative as you. I've got Raspbian Jessie and ARM Jessie happily running on RPi2.

There's some stuff which doesn't work (the RPi audio mixer, but the standard LXDE one works fine anyway), and some stuff I recompiled for a better experience (gst-omx, vlc), and some stuff I had to massively hack with to make work at all (omxplayer) but nothing really major.

Upgrading from Raspian Wheezy to Raspbian Jessie can be a little tricky, because of early-boot issues. I wrote a blog post of avoiding those: https://vk5tu.livejournal.com/54182.html. I wouldn't say that upgrading is ready for the general population.

DougieLawson

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:46 am

Can anyone explain why /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_GB changes from

Code: Select all

date_fmt      "<U0025><U0061><U0020><U0025><U0062><U0020><U0025><U0065>/
which decodes as

%a %b %e
to

date_fmt    "<U0025><U0061><U0020><U0025><U0065><U0020><U0025><U0062>/
which decodes as

%a %e %b

Return to “General discussion”