Crazy8

Screen for Pi

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:04 pm

I currently have a Pi 2 running Raspbian. I have been looking for a screen for it but I have just a few issues. Most of the screens I am finding target for the Pi, are not cased. I feel that this can be kind of a problem when it comes to managing cable and extra attached boards. Because of that, I want to find a cased screen that is 10"+. Here is my question, can I use pretty much any screen/computer monitor as long as it has HDMI? Does anyone know of a cased 10" screen that works on Pi? Havent decided on if I want touch or not, the cost may be a deciding factor.

Thanks for the help.

AndyD

Re: Screen for Pi

Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:23 am

Crazy8 wrote:Here is my question, can I use pretty much any screen/computer monitor as long as it has HDMI?
Yes.
Crazy8 wrote:Does anyone know of a cased 10" screen that works on Pi? Havent decided on if I want touch or not, the cost may be a deciding factor.
No, I don't. In Australia, I have found that 19" to 20" computer monitors (with DVI ports) are the cheapest options. However, I have never really looked for 10" monitors. These smaller monitors appear to me to be more expensive.

Also, the touch interface may be more of an issue to get working. HDMI is mostly plug-n-play.

mrpi64

Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Agreed, any HDMI monitor should work. I've got a DVI monitor with a DVI-HDMI adapter myself, and it seems to work fine.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

klricks

Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Crazy8 wrote:.....
..... Does anyone know of a cased 10" screen that works on Pi?....
Search Amazon and Ebay there are many cased 10" screens with HDMI inputs there.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

mikronauts

Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Inexpensive LCD TV's with an HDMI input make good monitors for Pi's.

I've used 15", 19", 22" and up TV's with good success.
Crazy8 wrote:I currently have a Pi 2 running Raspbian. I have been looking for a screen for it but I have just a few issues. Most of the screens I am finding target for the Pi, are not cased. I feel that this can be kind of a problem when it comes to managing cable and extra attached boards. Because of that, I want to find a cased screen that is 10"+. Here is my question, can I use pretty much any screen/computer monitor as long as it has HDMI? Does anyone know of a cased 10" screen that works on Pi? Havent decided on if I want touch or not, the cost may be a deciding factor.

Thanks for the help.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

aXeRepublic

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:59 am

Hey Guys!
I have a spare LCD TFT Screen which I want to connect to my Raspberry Pi...
The thing is that, I don't know the type of connector through which I can connect it to the Pi
The attachment shows the type of connector the LCD has.
Any advice on how to connect it to the Pi?
Attachments
LCD.JPG
Connector of the LCD
LCD.JPG (21.42 KiB) Viewed 1232 times

klricks

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:20 pm

aXeRepublic wrote:Hey Guys!
I have a spare LCD TFT Screen which I want to connect to my Raspberry Pi...
The thing is that, I don't know the type of connector through which I can connect it to the Pi
The attachment shows the type of connector the LCD has.
Any advice on how to connect it to the Pi?
No you can not connect that to the RPi directly. You need an interface board that will drive the display and convert to something the RPi can use such as HDMI or Composite. There are some 3rd party interface boards that work with LVDS type screens commonly found in old laptops. If your screen is not that type then it is very unlikely that there is an interface board made.
Here is an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-DVI-VGA-Dr ... 19df01deb8

Get the model number from the back of the screen and search Ebay or email the seller and see if there is something that will work.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

tinylcd

Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:22 am

Hello

do you want 10 inch screen only

or 7 inch HD screen (1024x600) with or without touch but with case will do which can mount raspberry pi ?

if it is ok than you can have a look at below website which has four options in all with and without case

http://www.neosecsolutions.com//index.php?cPath=21

regards
tinylcd

Return to “General discussion”