rpdom

Re: What happened to my Pi?

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:00 pm

newguy1980 wrote:I use the 5v output from the TV itself and we had a massive thunderstorm this side which might have spiked the voltage
That would be it. A spike on the 5V line from a nearby lightning strike could cause the chip to blow like that.

Jednorozec

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:02 pm

newguy1980 wrote:It's not that expensive but in our country (to put it into perspective) I could buy 100 cans of coca-cola for the price of a RPi.
An RPi is a lot healthier than 100 cans of coca-cola. In fact, any pie is probably healthier that 100 cans of coca-cola.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

BMS Doug

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:14 pm

newguy1980 wrote: I could buy 100 cans of coca-cola for the price of a RPi.
So could I in the UK, if I bulk bought 100 cans, but retail purchase price of a single can in London is a much more expensive proposition. (closer to 36 cans at London prices) So I guess that depends or your coke purchase methodology.

I was swayed by Ame's argument that the inner printing was the top of the chip sunk down, re-examining the image I can see that it is more likely to be true that a top section of chip had blown clear, exposing the inner chip.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

newguy1980

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Proportionally coke is sold in each country at round about the same rate at which the countries currency is at any given moment. For instance if coke is a dollar in America then it would cost us R10 (Rand) for a can. I just used it as an example to tell you guys that we don't accually pay $35 for a RPi.

I also thought it might be the spike in power but was not sure because all my other appliances does not have damage.

It really looks like it melted but only in that small section. All the other resistors etc looks fine. Thank for all your effort in helping me.

gordon77

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:01 pm

newguy1980 wrote:....We don't actually pay $35 for a RPi
Who does ;)

xoopha

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:30 pm

gordon77 wrote:
newguy1980 wrote:....We don't actually pay $35 for a RPi
Who does ;)
No one, not even buying it from China.

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:32 pm

I got my latest RPi for $27. It was a discounted B+.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:12 pm

an ESD event (probably lightening related) caused latch-up in the chip, causing a massive short circuit of the 5V, this is known as "letting the magic smoke out", and the smoke literally blew a piece of the chip package away from the inside out.
As this is caused by "external force" normal guarantee rules do not apply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latchup

newguy1980

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:16 pm

Like I said. I am not sure what caused it. It might have been the lightning I might not have been. If there was some of my other appliances broken I would accept and move on but it's just the RPi that's broken. Though some of you might have sun something like this.

gordon77

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:18 pm

Is your TV connected to an external aerial? The surge could have come down that?

ame

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:07 pm

newguy1980 wrote:I use the 5v output from the TV itself and we had a massive thunderstorm this side which might have spiked the voltage but all my other goodies are still in working order. I am from south Africa and will try and send it back to the supplier and see what they say.
Ok, in the light of new information it might be some sort of ESD damage.

Why would this be a warranty issue? It's unfortunate, yes, but not a design or manufacturing flaw.

adlambert

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:19 am

Nobody is going to go to the trouble of attempting to prove whether the lightning event caused the failure, and as there are several other electronic devices close by and none of them are affected then I would suggest that on the face of it, the failure is with the comms chip. I would expect for any supplier that I would use in Europe, they would exchange without question as that is the normal custom.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:30 pm

As I said, the energy to blow the Ethernet chip probably came down the ethernet cable, and "external force" damage is never covered by warranties.

Return to “General discussion”