newguy1980

What happened to my Pi?

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi. I have my RPi now for about 5 months. I use it as a media centre and watched movies the previous night. Got home today and it won't switch on. Opened it up and found this tiny hole in the graphic chip. What might have caused it?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: What happened to my Pi?

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:46 pm

Do you have a photo?

piman2000

Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:35 pm

I dont know much about how the pi works but a similar thing happened to my last pi i got off ebay. I ordered the same one again and got a heat sync and put on it and have no problems since. Hope it helped and good luck!

eriktheitalian

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Be care. Sometimes microchips realy dangerous can be blast after some type reaction. This is very very rarely but possible for microchips. (blast and integrate near wall like bullet.)
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

newguy1980

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:30 am

ame

Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:43 am

It looks like you dropped something onto the chip. Something heavy, with corners.

BMS Doug

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:14 am

ame wrote:It looks like you dropped something onto the chip. Something heavy, with corners.
+1.

that's the USB and ethernet chip.

I can't imagine why it would implode so my guess would also be that it got bashed hard by something solid.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

newguy1980

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:32 am

Well I can promise you guys that I take great care of all my electronic goods. This is the casing it was in

http://i.imgur.com/sGnIcuo.jpg

And this is where it was when it was in working order bottom left of the tv hanging out that I can see the lights when it comes on

http://i.imgur.com/ecvdbCw.jpg

newguy1980

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:36 am

I just thought that it might be a power surge that someone has experienced the same problem or maybe an issue that is covered by the warranty.

eriktheitalian

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:46 am

This is like some type external physical crush.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

ktb

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:56 am

It looks melted to me, but what do I know? Why do people think something was dropped on it? It doesn't look dented or chipped to me. EDIT: I suppose it looks like there is a crack in it too.

newguy1980

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:19 am

It's more like a burn/melt type of mark.

newguy1980

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:21 am

ktb wrote:It looks melted to me, but what do I know? Why do people think something was dropped on it? It doesn't look dented or chipped to me. EDIT: I suppose it looks like there is a crack in it too.
I don't understand why people think I would drop something on it as well.

ktb

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:34 am

newguy1980 wrote:
ktb wrote:It looks melted to me, but what do I know? Why do people think something was dropped on it? It doesn't look dented or chipped to me. EDIT: I suppose it looks like there is a crack in it too.
I don't understand why people think I would drop something on it as well.
To me, it looks as though the markings on the chip melted down into that hole/indent. It may just be the photo, but it also looks like there is a hairline crack from the top left corner towards of the center of the chip. A better photo might help, but I'm not suggesting you need to post another photo.

It would have had to be a heavy and accurate blow for what other people are saying to make any sense, IMO.

If what you're saying is true, I would at least try to return it. However, if you have been using this Pi (B+?) as a media center, I wouldn't be surprised if you had been heavily overclocking/overvolting it. I can't say I support the idea of you trying to get a free replacement if that is the case.

rpdom

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:44 am

It looks to me like a chip that has either been overloaded on voltage or had a serious defect.

I've seem chips like that before, but not on a Pi. A small part of the die gets way too hot very rapidly and causes a small piece of the casing to explode outwards leaving a small crater. What appear to be markings in the hole are the actual silicon.

I very much doubt it was caused by impact.

adlambert

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:49 am

Yes, Rpdom, I agree I've seen many chip packages blow out from the inside like that, usually though it is more central than that and there would be a tell tale smell and the displaced piece would be loose in the case.

Suggesting that it is caused by dropping something on it is way off the mark.

What's at the other end of the Ethernet cable? I would suggest that you are very careful before using that hub or switch again.

kaos

Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:55 am

As pointed out above, this is the USB hub and ethernet chip, so overclocking shouldn't affect it. I'm wondering more about an errant power spike on either USB or ethernet connections. I hope nobody has been running around with an etherkiller at your place? Or, more prosaically, a failed power suppy, either for the Pi or a connected device, could be the culprit.

Edit: rpdom and adlambert beat me to it.

--
Regards, Kári.

Burngate

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:02 am

I've seen this sort of thing before - too much power in some part of the chip, caused by faulty manufacture.
Unlikely to be dangerous at the energy-levels of a Pi unless your eye is in the firing-line (I've seen a 400v capacitor fire its can through a fibreboard case, and that's somewhat more disconcerting)

Return the Pi to your supplier for a replacement.

jamesh

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:12 am

Looks like a chip failure to me, if less than 2 years old in the EU, its can be returned under warranty.

Overclocking will not have caused the problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

rpdom

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:18 am

jamesh wrote:Looks like a chip failure to me,
I just noticed you are 1337 x 10 (and a bit) on your posts. Congarats, I think :-)

Burngate

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:24 am

1337?
Ah yes, on 17 March 1337 Edward the Black Prince was made Duke of Cornwall.
I understand the reference now. Possibly.

DougieLawson

Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:31 am

jamesh wrote:Looks like a chip failure to me, if less than 2 years old in the EU, its can be returned under warranty.
That's not applicable to the OP who states that he's in Jo'burg.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

ame

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:40 pm

Ok. I am seeing a chip with a small area depressed. The surface of the depressed area has the markings from the top face of the package. i.e. the top face has dropped down into the package somehow. The inside of the hole does not like the die or the bond wires.

To me, it looks like an impact, or something inside the package melted and allowed the top surface to drop down. The former is more likely than the latter.

A better picture would help.

adlambert

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:27 pm

I don't see the print markings from the surface depressed into the package, I see some of the internals of the package which have been exposed and show as a similar colour in that photo.

newguy1980

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:24 pm

I use the 5v output from the TV itself and we had a massive thunderstorm this side which might have spiked the voltage but all my other goodies are still in working order. I am from south Africa and will try and send it back to the supplier and see what they say. I don't believe in over clocking and overvoltage. (If you need something faster,buy something faster). I loaded xbmc on it and that was that. Was running between 30% and 90% cpu and it as fast enough for me for what I was using it.

Just dissapointed because I had so many plans with it. It's not that expensive but in our country (to put it into perspective) I could buy 100 cans of coca-cola for the price of a RPi.

Return to “General discussion”