zerocool2015

Raspberry Pi 2 Jet Engine Noise

Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:08 pm

Hey every one, just got my raspberry pi 2, i installed open elec & putted heat-sink temperature is down from 45c to 28c stable, and every thing seems OK running fine, but just 5v fan noise annoying me, its making noise of Honda heavy bike running very fast, is there anybody who can help me to put my fan speed down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnYr2YwnwfQ

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 Jet Engine Noise

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:34 pm

Turn it off? You don't really need it, the chip is rated for most environments without a heatsink.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

djole94hns

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:12 pm

The only time you would ever need a heatsink or a fan on the RPi is if you use it in the middle of Sahara desert (maybe not even then), so relax and just disconnect the fan ;)

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:40 pm

Your fan is going to cause you two problems... one is the noise, and the second is dust. You do not want a fan pulling dust into your enclosure; otherwise, you will have a heat problem.

On the other hand, your fan is very cool <pun intended>. I like it. You now have a RPi project to work on... use one of your PWM pins and 'control' the speed of that fan; just slow it down a bit so that it runs quietly, then it will still look 'cool' --- by the way, I like your case too! very nice plexiglass...

Seriously, just turn the fan off; it isn't necessary at all.

regards,
:geek:
marcus
:ugeek:

zerocool2015

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:39 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:Your fan is going to cause you two problems... one is the noise, and the second is dust. You do not want a fan pulling dust into your enclosure; otherwise, you will have a heat problem.

On the other hand, your fan is very cool <pun intended>. I like it. You now have a RPi project to work on... use one of your PWM pins and 'control' the speed of that fan; just slow it down a bit so that it runs quietly, then it will still look 'cool' --- by the way, I like your case too! very nice plexiglass...

Seriously, just turn the fan off; it isn't necessary at all.

regards,
:geek:

thanks for ur reply, i understand it don't need fan, but i am going to over-clock it to extreme level, for my kali linux, maybe 1100mhz or bit more, temperature rite now is very good about 25c stable and 30c on load, can u tel me what maximum it can handle, second about fan its done now somebody on youtube told me to changed pin to 3.5v on board and i changed the cable from 5v to 3.5v now there is no noise.

zerocool2015

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:42 am

thanks for replying guys, i know i dnt need fan etc, but can u grantee if i am going to over-lock it to extreme level i want my kali linux to run fast, so i want overlock it to 1100mhz or more, do i still dnt need fan, heatsink?

second what is the maximum temp raspberry pi can take, what is dangr temp

thanks

scotty101

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:44 am

zerocool2015 wrote: somebody on youtube told me to changed pin to 3.5v on board and i changed the cable from 5v to 3.5v now there is no noise.
Bad idea! The 3.3v supply should not be used to power a fan.

If I recall, the Raspberry Pi is rated up to 85 degrees Celsius. It also has built in features to prevent it from exceeding this (under normal operating conditions)
Last edited by scotty101 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

zerocool2015

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:46 am

scotty101 wrote:
zerocool2015 wrote: somebody on youtube told me to changed pin to 3.5v on board and i changed the cable from 5v to 3.5v now there is no noise.
Bad idea! The 3.3v supply should not be used to power a fan.

can u plz tell me the reason?

scotty101

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:50 am

Of course.
The 3.3v supply is what drives the processor, it needs a stable power 3.3v in order to run correctly. If you put an inductive load (like a motor) on the 3.3v supply the processor may "brownout" and reset.
Also the 3.3v rail can only supply 50mA, your fan probably requires much more than this.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

xoopha

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:30 pm

It's very probable that your Pi doesn't even overclock that far, not because of the heat but because of the chip itself just not supporting it. Heat is not the only issue for a chip to perform beyond specs.

Return to “General discussion”