shadowofdarkness
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 pm

On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:51 am

I was hoping we could get some SD card benchmarks done on the Pi not a computer where variables like your card reader being USB3 or other computer performance can affect the results. This should give realistic real world Pi performance in the same environment the card will be used. This way I can see if I can find a better one for any future purchases.

If people can do the test and report results.
On a running Pi just install with "sudo apt-get install iozone3"
Then run this in from the command line (copy+paste is easiest)

iozone -e -I -a -s 50M -r 4k -r 512k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2 | tail -4 | head -2 | awk '{print "Block Size " $2"k", "Write " $3/1024, "Rewrite " $4/1024, "Read " $5/1024, "Reread " $6/1024, "Random Read " $7/1024, "Random Write "$8/1024}'

Note I made it convert the output sizes to megabytes from kilobytes to be more human readable.


Here are my results to start things off.

Brand Kingston
Model Number SDCA10/64GB
Class 10 UHS-I microSDXC Card, 64GB
Official product info when using the best equipment, speeds "Up to 90MB read" "Up to 45MB write"
Block Size 4k Write 0.398438 Rewrite 0.40332 Read 7.34277 Reread 6.65332 Random Read 6.77734 Random Write 0.394531
Block Size 512k Write 8.69043 Rewrite 10.6807 Read 18.1797 Reread 14.3623 Random Read 18.1416 Random Write 5.60352

User avatar
LitterBugs
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:49 am

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:29 am

Not finding the iozone with apt-get on raspian. Did a apt-get update and still can not find it. I have it installed on one of my Pi2 boxes, but it came from a .tar

What OS are you running?

You could just use the 'dd' command which is native to Linux to get benchmark data, or use the data that is already in the other SD benchmark thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... =63&t=4076 which we are already trying to steer to using a standardized SD benchmark on the Pi.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PS, I would also recommend doing uncached tests. Caching can skew results and do not reflect the true performance of the card.

shadowofdarkness
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:40 am

I'm running OSMC and never even thought of it not being in any other distributions repos.

For uncached I will have to look into how to do it. For the iozone command I just found it on the Internet listed as one that did the same tests as the popular benchmark program Crystal Mark for Windows.

User avatar
LitterBugs
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:49 am

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:19 am

Oops... I posted incorrect stats from wrong box... fixing and will repost.

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:44 am

I'm currently using a USB hard drive, so you're probably not interested in my results, but other people can use iozone like this:

Code: Select all

cd ~
wget http://www.iozone.org/src/current/iozone3_430.tar
tar -xf iozone3_430.tar
cd iozone3_430/src/current
make linux-arm
./iozone -e -I -a -s 50M -r 4k -r 512k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2 | tail -4 | head -2 | awk '{print "Block Size " $2"k", "Write " $3/1024, "Rewrite " $4/1024, "Read " $5/1024, "Reread " $6/1024, "Random Read " $7/1024, "Random Write "$8/1024}'

shadowofdarkness
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:10 am

ktb wrote:I'm currently using a USB hard drive, so you're probably not interested in my results, but other people can use iozone like this:

Code: Select all

cd ~
wget http://www.iozone.org/src/current/iozone3_430.tar
tar -xf iozone3_430.tar
cd iozone3_430/src/current
make linux-arm
./iozone -e -I -a -s 50M -r 4k -r 512k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2 | tail -4 | head -2 | awk '{print "Block Size " $2"k", "Write " $3/1024, "Rewrite " $4/1024, "Read " $5/1024, "Reread " $6/1024, "Random Read " $7/1024, "Random Write "$8/1024}'
Thanks for that it should help people that don't have it in a repo.

shadowofdarkness
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:49 am

A thread I had found before but after checking the first couple pages and the last which only had Crystal Mark benchmarks I gave up on as not being on device but I just noticed after hitting a middle page in a Google search the middle was a lot of results on device. So this thread is not really needed. I decided that a Samsung EVO was best performance for my price range beat only by the Samsung Pro at random 4k which I couldn't find for a good price.

The other thread
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... =63&t=4076

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:00 am

FWIW, I use all three of these SanDisk cards with my Pi's
SanDisk Ultra 32 GB UHS-1
SanDisk Ultra Plus 64 GB UHS-1
SanDisk Extreme Plus 32 GB UHS-3

There isn't really a huge difference between them when used on my Pi's.

User avatar
LitterBugs
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:49 am

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:12 am

Handful of cards tested on Pi2 Raspian, sorted slowest to fastest:

Toshiba 16GB Class 4 (took several hours to complete)
Block Size 4k Write 0.907227 Rewrite 0.953125 Read 2.81543 Reread 2.89648 Random Read 2.375 Random Write 0.00390625
Block Size 512k Write 4.40723 Rewrite 4.21582 Read 17.5498 Reread 17.458 Random Read 17.4053 Random Write 0.569336

Kingston 8GB Class 4 (took several hours to complete)
Block Size 4k Write 0.930664 Rewrite 0.842773 Read 2.74707 Reread 2.93848 Random Read 1.97363 Random Write 0.00878906
Block Size 512k Write 6.87012 Rewrite 6.42285 Read 13.6182 Reread 13.6143 Random Read 13.5264 Random Write 1.16113

Sandisk 32GB Class 4
Block Size 4k Write 0.988281 Rewrite 1.11816 Read 3.53125 Reread 3.57715 Random Read 2.72266 Random Write 0.277344
Block Size 512k Write 4.55566 Rewrite 4.41309 Read 10.3506 Reread 11.1279 Random Read 11.1279 Random Write 1.22461

Micro Center 16GB Class 10
Block Size 4k Write 1.37988 Rewrite 1.50391 Read 3.61328 Reread 4.61523 Random Read 3.74121 Random Write 0.415039
Block Size 512k Write 8.64258 Rewrite 9.28809 Read 18.2686 Reread 18.2666 Random Read 18.1992 Random Write 1.21094

PNY 16GB Class 10 UHS-1
Block Size 4k Write 1.54004 Rewrite 1.59473 Read 4.89941 Reread 5.30859 Random Read 4.42969 Random Write 0.993164
Block Size 512k Write 7.12402 Rewrite 6.875 Read 17.0186 Reread 15.8545 Random Read 18.4717 Random Write 7.33398

Sandisk Ultra uhs1 32GB
Block Size 4k Write 1.30371 Rewrite 1.36035 Read 6.18164 Reread 6.17871 Random Read 4.7666 Random Write 0.790039
Block Size 512k Write 13.1904 Rewrite 13.249 Read 18.5205 Reread 18.5244 Random Read 18.3779 Random Write 2.5293

Samsung 16GB Class 6 http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memo ... -MS16DA/AM
Block Size 4k Write 1.47266 Rewrite 1.68359 Read 5.16699 Reread 5.07031 Random Read 5.06934 Random Write 1.63477
Block Size 512k Write 16.9814 Rewrite 17.1748 Read 17.8906 Reread 17.8857 Random Read 17.877 Random Write 17.1445

Samsung Pro 16GB Class 10 uhs1 (ran on B+ with other stuff running)
Block Size 4k Write 1.32227 Rewrite 1.63574 Read 5.12402 Reread 5.11719 Random Read 5.02441 Random Write 1.54492
Block Size 512k Write 17.04 Rewrite 17.1963 Read 17.9385 Reread 17.9248 Random Read 17.9297 Random Write 17.2061

Samsung Pro 16GB Class 10 uhs1 (on Pi2. this time with nothing else running)
Block Size 4k Write 1.9209 Rewrite 1.92871 Read 7.33496 Reread 7.36914 Random Read 7.33008 Random Write 2.24219
Block Size 512k Write 17.2217 Rewrite 17.5508 Read 18.3584 Reread 18.3623 Random Read 18.3633 Random Write 17.4951

Samsung Pro 32GB Class 10 uhs1
Block Size 4k Write 2.13184 Rewrite 1.89453 Read 7.29492 Reread 7.29688 Random Read 7.25195 Random Write 1.38965
Block Size 512k Write 17.6465 Rewrite 17.6377 Read 18.3613 Reread 18.3633 Random Read 18.3604 Random Write 17.7373
Last edited by LitterBugs on Sun May 31, 2015 3:04 am, edited 9 times in total.

User avatar
LitterBugs
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:49 am

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:14 am

shadowofdarkness wrote:A thread I had found before but after checking the first couple pages and the last which only had Crystal Mark benchmarks I gave up on as not being on device but I just noticed after hitting a middle page in a Google search the middle was a lot of results on device. So this thread is not really needed. I decided that a Samsung EVO was best performance for my price range beat only by the Samsung Pro at random 4k which I couldn't find for a good price.

The other thread
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... =63&t=4076
Don't get hung up on the 4k stats. It is only one aspect of the card's performance. The Pi does not solely read/write at 4k or you would not see better statistics for the 512k blocks

Cheers!
LitterBug

User avatar
LitterBugs
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:49 am

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Sun May 31, 2015 3:06 am

Bump. Edited my above post to include the latest Samsung 16GB Class 6 card. Comes in very close to the Pro card without the uhs-1 expense

Regards,
LitterBug

Tom_A
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:34 am

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Sun May 31, 2015 3:37 am

LitterBugs wrote:Handful of cards tested on Pi2 Raspian, sorted slowest to fastest:

Toshiba 16GB Class 4 (took several hours to complete)
Block Size 4k Write 0.907227 Rewrite 0.953125 Read 2.81543 Reread 2.89648 Random Read 2.375 Random Write 0.00390625
Block Size 512k Write 4.40723 Rewrite 4.21582 Read 17.5498 Reread 17.458 Random Read 17.4053 Random Write 0.569336

Kingston 8GB Class 4 (took several hours to complete)
Block Size 4k Write 0.930664 Rewrite 0.842773 Read 2.74707 Reread 2.93848 Random Read 1.97363 Random Write 0.00878906
Block Size 512k Write 6.87012 Rewrite 6.42285 Read 13.6182 Reread 13.6143 Random Read 13.5264 Random Write 1.16113

Sandisk 32GB Class 4
Block Size 4k Write 0.988281 Rewrite 1.11816 Read 3.53125 Reread 3.57715 Random Read 2.72266 Random Write 0.277344
Block Size 512k Write 4.55566 Rewrite 4.41309 Read 10.3506 Reread 11.1279 Random Read 11.1279 Random Write 1.22461

Micro Center 16GB Class 10
Block Size 4k Write 1.37988 Rewrite 1.50391 Read 3.61328 Reread 4.61523 Random Read 3.74121 Random Write 0.415039
Block Size 512k Write 8.64258 Rewrite 9.28809 Read 18.2686 Reread 18.2666 Random Read 18.1992 Random Write 1.21094

PNY 16GB Class 10 UHS-1
Block Size 4k Write 1.54004 Rewrite 1.59473 Read 4.89941 Reread 5.30859 Random Read 4.42969 Random Write 0.993164
Block Size 512k Write 7.12402 Rewrite 6.875 Read 17.0186 Reread 15.8545 Random Read 18.4717 Random Write 7.33398

Sandisk Ultra uhs1 32GB
Block Size 4k Write 1.30371 Rewrite 1.36035 Read 6.18164 Reread 6.17871 Random Read 4.7666 Random Write 0.790039
Block Size 512k Write 13.1904 Rewrite 13.249 Read 18.5205 Reread 18.5244 Random Read 18.3779 Random Write 2.5293

Samsung 16GB Class 6 http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memo ... -MS16DA/AM
Block Size 4k Write 1.47266 Rewrite 1.68359 Read 5.16699 Reread 5.07031 Random Read 5.06934 Random Write 1.63477
Block Size 512k Write 16.9814 Rewrite 17.1748 Read 17.8906 Reread 17.8857 Random Read 17.877 Random Write 17.1445

Samsung Pro 16GB Class 10 uhs1 (ran on B+ with other stuff running)
Block Size 4k Write 1.32227 Rewrite 1.63574 Read 5.12402 Reread 5.11719 Random Read 5.02441 Random Write 1.54492
Block Size 512k Write 17.04 Rewrite 17.1963 Read 17.9385 Reread 17.9248 Random Read 17.9297 Random Write 17.2061

Samsung Pro 16GB Class 10 uhs1 (on Pi2. this time with nothing else running)
Block Size 4k Write 1.9209 Rewrite 1.92871 Read 7.33496 Reread 7.36914 Random Read 7.33008 Random Write 2.24219
Block Size 512k Write 17.2217 Rewrite 17.5508 Read 18.3584 Reread 18.3623 Random Read 18.3633 Random Write 17.4951

Samsung Pro 32GB Class 10 uhs1
Block Size 4k Write 2.13184 Rewrite 1.89453 Read 7.29492 Reread 7.29688 Random Read 7.25195 Random Write 1.38965
Block Size 512k Write 17.6465 Rewrite 17.6377 Read 18.3613 Reread 18.3633 Random Read 18.3604 Random Write 17.7373
If you care enough about the speed to spend this much time testing, you should really do a USB install using a smaller SD card to start the boot process. The Sandisk Cruiser Fit (USB 2) I tested had a read above 20.
This one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLEODCK/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
Now that had a read of about 30.

User avatar
LitterBugs
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:49 am

Re: On the Pi itself, SD benchmarks.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:53 pm

Tom_A wrote: If you care enough about the speed to spend this much time testing, you should really do a USB install using a smaller SD card to start the boot process. The Sandisk Cruiser Fit (USB 2) I tested had a read above 20.
This one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLEODCK/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
Now that had a read of about 30.
I have done USB as well, but the topic of the thread is about SD benchmarking, On the Pi itself.

Cheers!
LitterBugs

Return to “General discussion”