Terratic

Intended for kids and hijacked by adult hobbyists?

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:51 am

Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.

Should I feel bad for using this thing as a home theater PC?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Intended for kids and hijacked by adult hobbyists?

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:20 am

No.

Profits from selling the Pi go straight in to educational projects. The more people who buy, for whatever reason, the more money gets spent on education.

And of course, education doesn't stop at school.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

henryhanselscott

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:53 am

With the Rpi, I am a 47 year old kid.

Henry

Terratic

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks for the reply.

Reading up on the history and development of the RPi left me a bit confused. The device is amazingly versatile; although education seems to be the main focus, I don't see why it shouldn't be available to everyone, whatever their interest may be, since it helps to support the RPi Foundation.

PeterO

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:05 am

Terratic wrote:I don't see why it shouldn't be available to everyone
Why do you think it is not available to everyone ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Terratic

Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:09 am

PeterO wrote:
Terratic wrote:I don't see why it shouldn't be available to everyone
Why do you think it is not available to everyone ?
PeterO
I don't. It's a hypothetical circumstance. In other words: I don't see why not.

jamesh

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:22 am

And indeed, it is available to everyone, and always has been.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

henryhanselscott

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:33 am

Has their ever been any data compiled about the average age of the users here on the forums? Any survey information. My bets are most are older than 18.

bobstro

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Terratic wrote:[...] Should I feel bad for using this thing as a home theater PC?
Only if you ripped it out of the little tyke's mitts. Even then, you've taught a valuable life lesson.

hampi

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 pm

There is no age for learning something new. I think this forum profits from mixture of old and new ideas and from different points of view.

kusti8

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 pm

henryhanselscott wrote:Has their ever been any data compiled about the average age of the users here on the forums? Any survey information. My bets are most are older than 18.
Most people here are over 18 and most have experience in computers for a long time, but we do get people who are younger. I am 13 and have had a pi since December 2013 and have found a lot of use for it. I now have two and it had really helped me in learning about computers and finding out about Linux.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

rpiswag

Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:58 pm

I am 15 and I own 5 Raspberry Pi's and I love them all. I live in the US and have known about the Raspberry Pi since I was 8 and I got my first pi in 2011. I use a pi as my only home theater pc. It plays hd movies with near perfection! That was a little bit of an over statement but not by much. You can use your pi for what ever you want! Just stay in the legal boundaries but that is a almost uncountable number of projects. One of my favorites is a tweeting drone that tweets when it flies above 400 feet.
Last edited by rpiswag on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A computer's power can't be just measured Gigahertz. It is the same thing with us humans.

Heater

Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:28 pm

Terratic
Intended for kids and hijacked by adult hobbyists?
Hmm...let's rephrase that a bit: "Intended for kids and supported by adult hobbyists?"

I am very happy that there are millions of people who want nothing from their Pi but use it as a TV. Why? Because:

1) As James says, more sales means more income means more resources for the Raspberry Pi Foundations educational mission.

2) I would add that it also means the Pi has been developed over the years and is now a far nicer machine than it was originally. Whist maintaining it's original low price.

3) Having millions of users like that means production is ramped up, distribution channels are flowing, Pi's show up in local stores and so on. This means we are assured of easy availability and a long term future for our projects.

4) Having millions of Pi's around encourages people and companies to support it. Think Mathematica, or even now Microsoft is getting involved (God help us), and so on.

5) For every person that snags a Pi to use as a TV there is some chance, however small, that they will one day get curious and start tinkering with programming it. Then they will learn how boring watching TV is and spend the rest of their lives hacking.
Should I feel bad for using this thing as a home theatre PC?
Yes:)

As far as I know there is no age limit on being a "kid".

toxibunny

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Also remember that it was first released deliberately to adult techies as a sort of beta testing/software development phase...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

asavah

Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:13 pm

Terratic wrote:Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.

Should I feel bad for using this thing as a home theater PC?
RPF actually did a great job!
First pis were already very popular, but now with pi2b, which is a little MONSTER, the success is huge.
RPF actually built a very powerful community around the pi, starting from very skilled engineers who design and support the project.

I think that the popularity of pi(e)s amongst all kinds of hackers and tinkerers helps the project.
Sales help with funding and developing new targeted educational projects.
And all the experienced people I've seen on this forum help the newbies to solve problems and share their experience with them.
There are a lot of pi related projects.
How many pi targeted OS do we have ? - Quite a bunch.
And who writes or adapts the software packages to run on the pi ? - Experienced developers, who love their pi(e)s.
And so on.

Feeling bad about using pi as a media center?
No way!

I'll talk a little about my own project which I have not published yet.
I'm an old sysadmin with years of *nix experience on x86 machines.
The goal for buying my first pi was to learn about ARM platform, cross compilation, software integration and internals of gnu/linux OS.
I tried and succeded in building my own fully cross compiled OS from sources.
There was a secondary goal: this OS of mine should be able to work as a media center, actually the OS itself was designed to be just a platform providing necessary underlying bits for Kodi(xbmc).
So in my case the foundation's goal of creating an educational platform was met - I actually learned a whole lot and the more I learn - the more I want to.

RPF is making something very nice for all interested people, not just the kids and I wish them success in all their current and future projects.

pluggy

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:03 pm

rpiswag wrote:I got my first pi in 2011.
You get one of the first batch that was auctioned ?(they went for a lot of money)

The mass produced Pi's didn't come around until about this time in 2012.

I'm an old man with 12 Pis of various ilks. I've killed a couple in my time too. I fully support the Foundations aims, I was inspired to switch to a career in IT back in the Early 80's. Without inspiration for kids, 40 years from now there won't people like me.

Maybe a good thing depending on your point of view.....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

rpiswag

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:22 pm

On my Raspberry Pi model B is says (c)2011.12 on it. I got it in late 2011 to early 2012. Should have said that before. I forget the the exact year ordered it I have ordered over 5 and I found my original pi.
Last edited by rpiswag on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A computer's power can't be just measured Gigahertz. It is the same thing with us humans.

pluggy

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:30 pm

It would have been early 2012. Around the time I got my first. That one is still going albeit with short circuited USB polyfuses. :)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

rpiswag

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:41 pm

I run a tweeter bot on my original pi model B and every few days my router disconnects my pi from it and from the internet. Why does this happen and how do I stop it?

Heater

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:49 pm

Good question, my dlink routers and others stopped doing that sort of thing when I reflashed them with OpenWrt.

Return to “General discussion”