piglet

Re: Buy one Give one - Give One by Charity Donation?

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:47 pm

I use Give As You Earn to put all my charitable giving into a Charities Trust account (www.charitiestrust.org) - partly to ensure that I can\'t forget to give what I planned, and partly to ensure that what I can give is pre-tax/gross so that the charities get the maximum possible.

There are a number of different Charity Accounts

\"Buy one give one\" has been mooted a few times - but I was just wondering how this could work for people with charity accounts.

Ideally I\'d like to:
  • buy one - with my net-of-tax money for me to play with
  • give one - by giving from my Charities Trust account, by electronic transfer or Charity Cheque
I\'d also like to be able to nominate where the \"give one\" goes. I\'d like it to go to one of my children\'s schools.

Having two routes for paying, and two different delivery addresses for large numbers of low-volume sales sounds like an administrative nightmare. Do you have any plans on how this could be made to work?

Lurking is getting painful, you teases ;) . I\'d like to pre-order.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:55 pm

I\'m afraid you won\'t be able to nominate where your \"give one\" goes - as you suspect, it\'d be an administrative nightmare, and anyway, the money the charity receives may not translate directly into a computer; we may use some of it for administering the charity, although we expect the vast majority of the BOGO money to result in Pis. All that money will be used for charitable purposes - nobody is making any money out of this, although I should point out that at some point in the near future the Foundation will be employing at least one person, because we\'re dying under the strain of doing all the work on top of our day jobs!

If you want to outfit your kids\' school or have another specific charitable idea in mind for some Raspberry Pis, you\'re best off doing that directly using your Charities Trust account rather than using our BOGO option. You should be able to set up a direct donation to the school using Gift Aid (models we\'ve run suggest that someone like you, or a group of parents, would be able to outfit a whole classroom that way for around £500).
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

piglet

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi Liz,

Thanks. I thought that would be the case on the hypothicated BOGO, but still not sure how one would match up a charity donation and a purchase with funds from different accounts. Wherever possible I like to do all charitable giving from the charity account. Maybe it\'s as simple as a personal and charity cheque in the same envelope. I can\'t see how it could be done as an online transaction.

Outfitting a classroom is definitely on my radar. I\'m a Governor at a junior school and as an IT professional I despair at what children call \"ICT\". If we could get them some fun grounding in logic basics before they\'re 11 then that would be a massive step forward. I\'m looking forward to seeing what this project can do in this area. Something for another thread maybe. :)

Return to “General discussion”