Page 1 of 1

When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:25 pm
by extjoe
When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?
Is there a new model with USB 3.0 in the near future?

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:39 pm
by fruitoftheloom
extjoe wrote:When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?
Is there a new model with USB 3.0 in the near future?
When they change the SoC ;)

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:18 pm
by solar3000
USB 3 uses too much power at this time. but that's sure to change. Just like gigabit ethernet used to take a lot of power, now you can get a gigabit switch that fits in your pocket and uses only 5vdc at 2amps.

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:42 pm
by mahjongg
Is there a new model with USB 3.0 in the near future?
NO. 3 or 4 years from now.... (I'm guessing)
Also think that USB 3.0 is a bit pointless on a PI, and introduces more problems than it solves.
Moving ethernet off the current USB 2.0 is a much better solution for both USB and ethernet speed problems than adapting USB 3.0

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:57 pm
by riklaunim
extjoe wrote:When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?
Is there a new model with USB 3.0 in the near future?
Raspberry and most other ARM projects is not a good place for "new technologies". ARM in general has problems with supporting even technologies common for x86 as they aren't designed for that... but they are good for embedded projects ;)

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:11 pm
by asavah
extjoe wrote:When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?
Is there a new model with USB 3.0 in the near future?
I see USB 3.0 as somewhat problematic for the pi:
You might need an external controller like asmedia which would increment the price, it's possible of course to embed such IP into the SoC too.
It's power hungry.
It needs proper shielding or it will interfere with 2.4GHz equipment, like wi-fi dongles, RF mice, etc. This would increment the price too.
There is already a new shiny USB Type-C standard, by the time RPF develops a new pi USB3.0 will be obsolete.

For connecting HDDs I'd rather have a SATA/eSATA port, but it also needs a controller, which increments the cost of the board.
And finally I would really want a *proper* *not usb* Gbit NIC, it would be nice if Broadcom developed a SoC for the next-gen pi with a proper RGMII port.

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:15 pm
by ric96
Usb type-c FTW

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:49 pm
by jdb
asavah wrote: There is already a new shiny USB Type-C standard, by the time RPF develops a new pi USB3.0 will be obsolete.
USB type-C is a reversible connector that implements the signals used for USB3.0. It's a royal pain in the arse because on the host side you have to deal with routing twice as many differential pairs as required for USB3.0, to cater for the cable being plugged in backwards.

Also: expect USB3.0 to be a future feature of the Pi platform, coincident with when we release a model that comes with wheels and a sandwich.

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:45 pm
by asavah
jdb wrote:coincident with when we release a model that comes with wheels and a sandwich.
Can we have a special beer+ edition? :roll:

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:02 pm
by DougieLawson
asavah wrote:
jdb wrote:coincident with when we release a model that comes with wheels and a sandwich.
Can we have a special beer+ edition? :roll:
Too late, it's already available: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 8&t=104946

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:10 pm
by asavah
DougieLawson wrote: Too late, it's already available: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 8&t=104946
I've seen that. ;)
But, hey, a pi on wheels bringing on my voice command a sandwich and a nice cold beer ...
I guess that's an idea for a project.
Gotta build fridge->pi interface too ... mmm NFC will do.

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:27 pm
by DougieLawson
asavah wrote:
DougieLawson wrote: Too late, it's already available: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 8&t=104946
I've seen that. ;)
But, hey, a pi on wheels bringing on my voice command a sandwich and a nice cold beer ...
I guess that's an idea for a project.
Gotta build fridge->pi interface too ... mmm NFC will do.
You'll need two or probably three Pis. One to open and close the fridge door, another read the barcodes and lift the beer. The third to transport the beer from your kitchen to your workshop.

Have we got enough for a kickstarter?

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:50 pm
by asavah
We need another pi on a quadcopter drone to resupply the fridge.

Re: When will the Raspberry Pi have USB 3.0?

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:26 am
by extjoe
Thank you all for your comments
it was very helpful ;)