Symon

Remote access

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:35 am

Hi everyone I am new to this product and was wondering if I can use these to run a program on my laptop and connect to a cpu remotely via a raspberry.
So I can plug the raspberry into cpu then connect to it at office pc via Internet.
Thanks in advance.
Sy

fruitoftheloom

Re: Remote access

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:49 pm

Symon wrote:Hi everyone I am new to this product and was wondering if I can use these to run a program on my laptop and connect to a cpu remotely via a raspberry.
So I can plug the raspberry into cpu then connect to it at office pc via Internet.
Thanks in advance.
Sy
No comprehend, this is a CPU http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_processing_unit
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Symon

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:00 pm

The system I am connecting to is a basic 9 pin RS232 port however it transfers data and changes parameters within its own cpu. This is run in windows.
Hope this helps.

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:27 pm

You may make more sense by writing in your first language rather than letting Google Translate turn your coherent thoughts into complete gibberish.

There are lots of non-English forums on here at: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=90
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Symon

Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:41 pm

Sorry if I am not clear in my description
I have a laptop with a windows based program on it. I travel all round the uk using this program
I was wondering if I could give my client a raspberry and they plug that into the on site cpu and I connect to it via the raspberry rather than traveling to each site.

davidcoton

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Symon wrote:Sorry if I am not clear in my description
I have a laptop with a windows based program on it. I travel all round the uk using this program
I was wondering if I could give my client a raspberry and they plug that into the on site cpu and I connect to it via the raspberry rather than traveling to each site.
It is certainly possible to re-write your Windows program on a Pi, maybe it is simply a terminal program running the serial port so standard software will do. You will need a USB to serial adaptor (or some wiring to GPIO) to connect to Pi to RS232. The harder part may be arranging to connect into the Pi from the WWW -- it can be done, but requires either fixed IP or an external service to simulate that, and some port forwarding from the internet modem. Client sites may vary as to whether or how that can be achieved (do you have control of the customer's network?). There are policy/security issues as well as technical ones.
Signature retired

Symon

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks for info would I beable to use a wi-fi connection to iphone on site to connect to raspberry then use the iPhone IP address on iPhone to connect.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:30 pm

Considering the Raspberry Pi only runs Linux or RiscOS natively, have you tested that you can run your software :?:

Regards iPhone http://lifehacker.com/tether-your-raspb ... -872447654
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

lumsdot

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:36 pm

maybe he wants remote user to connect pi to the serial port (of a piece of factory equipment i guess), the pi would also have internet access (which should be easy).
He then wants pi to transmit the serial port data to his laptop (via internet) so he can run his app which looks at data.
thus saving him having to drag laptop to every site.
Not easy if you ask me

Symon

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:31 am

That is correct lumsdot exactly what I need to do how complex is it to do that.

ame

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:36 am

Why not install a modem on-site?

Connect the serial side of the modem to the equipment. Connect the phone side to a phone line.

Have a modem at home (or the office or whatever). Run a terminal on your PC. Dial in to the modem, and you're connected via serial to the device.

That's how it used to be done in the olden days. No reason to do it like that these days though. All you need is a terminal server [1]. A Raspberry Pi could trivially be configured to act as a terminal server, but you would need permission from the company to access their intranet from outside.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_server

ame

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:39 am

And, as usual, there is nothing new under the sun:
http://networklessons.com/network-manag ... le-server/

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:52 am

You have two problems:

ame wrote:you would need permission from the company to access their intranet from outside.
In my experience that is going to be difficult. Maybe you can put a button on the RaspPi that makes it attach to your server.

2. You have a Windows program. Unless you can recompile that to run on Linux with an ARM processor, you're not going to get it working. The RaspPi can emulate a PC, but only one running at about 100MHz -- ten times slower than any laptop.

davidcoton

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:04 am

rurwin wrote:You have two problems:

1. ...

2. You have a Windows program. Unless you can recompile that to run on Linux with an ARM processor, you're not going to get it working. The RaspPi can emulate a PC, but only one running at about 100MHz -- ten times slower than any laptop.
I don't think that is necessarily an issue. There are several possibilities, some mentioned above:

1) Use a modem on an independent phone line on each site, dial in from the laptop using the existing program. (Comparatively high running costs for fixed line (at least in UK), no Pi required.)

2) Use a modem on a mobile phone on each site, dial in from the laptop using the existing program. (No Pi required, possibly tricky blend of old and new tech to connect RS232 via Bluetooth(?) to phone.)

3) Connect a Pi on each site, connect to www via existing network, relay the serial data via the web, modify the laptop software to work with that. (Lots of bits of code to tunnel RS232 over www, there may or may not be standard solutions. Possible network permissions issue.)

4) Connect a Pi on each site, connect to www via phone, relay the serial data via the web, modify the laptop software to work with that. (Lots of bits of code to tunnel RS232 over www, there may or may not be standard solutions.)

5) Connect a Pi on site, either use a terminal program or a custom replacement of the laptop program. Connect the Pi to web via existing network using VPN to run its program remotely. (Possibly one program to write, may be non-trivial. Possibly all standard programs. Possible network permissions issue.)

6) Connect a Pi on site, either use a terminal program or a custom replacement of the laptop program. Connect the Pi to web via phone using VPN to run its program remotely. (Possibly one program to write, may be non-trivial. Possibly all standard programs.)

Sounds like a fun project, definitely doable but not trivial.
Signature retired

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:22 am

You don't actually need a phone. You can get 3G USB dongles and data-only plans to go with them. It would need a little research to find one that could be made to work with Linux/RaspPi, but there should be one available.

... Although in my experience, mobile signals on-site are often non-existent. On the other hand, RS232 can run 50 feet (and probably much further) to somewhere with a signal. On the third hand, that may have to be in conduit, which might be a considerable expense.

Return to “General discussion”