tarjalan

Surprise finding a Pi 2

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:09 am

I live in Finland and, as I am visiting the UK next weekend, thought I would order a couple of Pi2s, along with other items, to pick up when I am in UK - they are generally cheaper.

I was somewhat disappointed to read that Pi2s are not currently available from the suppliers.

My wife wanted to do some clothes shopping in Helsinki yesterday and I decided to visit, what may be, Helsinki's largest computer/white goods/phones/toys etc store - there are not many.

Much to my surprise they had several Pii2s on the shelf and I bought a couple - not bad at 49.90€ inc ALV (VAT) each.

It is not often that something is available in Finland and not in the UK.

adlambert

Re: Surprise finding a Pi 2

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:27 am

One of the official suppliers, CPC, are currently showing the Pi 2 in stock at £24.94 + VAT.

raymer

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:45 am

I just visited each of the four suppliers listed on the official "shop" link from www.raspberrypi.org

RS - Out of Stock
Egoman - 404 link, searching egoman.com.cn for Raspberry Pi 2 produces no results
Allied - clicking through to Raspberry Pi 2 info say "Oops product no longer exists"
Element14 - "Export orders (outside of U.K.) cannot be processed on the website."

Might be time to get new suppliers or just direct people to Amazon? By the way, prices on Amazon are still high in the U.S.A. and in Japan.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:46 am

Demand is still high, and production is going as fast as it can!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

RaTTuS

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:00 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

tarjalan

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:06 am

Sorry if this comes twice but it seems to have disappeared the first time.

You are correct.

When I checked Farnell a while back they had no stock.

RS show not available till 24/4.

I have tried my new models - they seem a lot quicker than my original Bs.

I use them, with cameras, for bird boxes but am now making/trying to make a wildlife camera - I live in a forest.

Just read RaTTuS post - yes there are several places but you have an advantage that, living in Finland, I don't.

RaTTuS

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:19 am

you asked for UK places to buy from ,
you can also use several of those to get shipped to Finland

Covfefe

toxibunny

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 am

I got mine from modmypi.com . shipped to finland at a very reasonable price.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 am

There's always dear old Currys/PC World for £30 (inc VAT) which is € 41.20
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/component ... 2-pdt.html

They have a click'n'collect service, buy it today it'll be in the store when you're here in the UK.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

andrum99

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:36 am

I notice Curry's PC World are claiming that it runs Windows 10, with no mention of the fact that the version of Windows 10 for Pi 2 is not yet available, or that it is sans-GUI. A bit naughty of them!

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:45 am

andrum99 wrote:I notice Curry's PC World are claiming that it runs Windows 10, with no mention of the fact that the version of Windows 10 for Pi 2 is not yet available, or that it is sans-GUI. A bit naughty of them!
They've always been a box shifter and mostly clueless about the products they're selling.

But I can't knock them. My B+ for £17.49 last week was a bargain (and got past the household finance director's (aka SWMBO) spending audit).
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

raymer

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:52 am

As I said.
Also, as I said, they don't ship outside of the U.K. from their website. When you click through to order it states, "For delivery outside of the UK, including the Channel Islands, please contact our Export Coordinator at [email protected] or fax on 08447 880089. Export orders cannot be processed on the website."

[snip...]
The "many others" you mention are not on the official site. I was just trying to make a point that, unless you live in the U.K., NONE of the suppliers linked to on the website are valid (and even if you do live int the U.K. two are 404).

Regards,
Ray

adlambert

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:00 am

I can see that the original question was for the availability of Raspberry Pi 2 for purchase during a visit to the UK. So, in the context of the topic of the thread, all of the sites listed by RaTTus are valid.

RaTTuS

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:02 am

for errors on the RPi pages then a mail / tweet to the foundation may be more relevant

Covfefe

tarjalan

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:11 am

I didn't mean to start an arguement and am sad it seems to have done so.

The point I was trying to make was similar to raymer in that:

A person such as me - coming to the UK for a weekend, using the raspberry.org site to obtain information, delivery (to my son for me to collect) in UK - could not easily make it happen as there, albeit I now understand there are other suppliers, appeared to be nowhere to obtain a Pi2 because of a backlog of orders.

Posting has done one thing and that is to throw up several additional companies I can utilise when I need items in the future.

For the latter I thank you.

Bruny

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 am

raymer wrote:Element14 - "Export orders (outside of U.K.) cannot be processed on the website."
they are not allowed to use certain bay?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:43 am

tarjalan wrote:I didn't mean to start an arguement and am sad it seems to have done so.

The point I was trying to make was similar to raymer in that:

A person such as me - coming to the UK for a weekend, using the raspberry.org site to obtain information, delivery (to my son for me to collect) in UK - could not easily make it happen as there, albeit I now understand there are other suppliers, appeared to be nowhere to obtain a Pi2 because of a backlog of orders.

Posting has done one thing and that is to throw up several additional companies I can utilise when I need items in the future.

For the latter I thank you.
tarjalan it is not unusual for a post to go meandering as comprehension gets lost somewhere in the threads.

Glad you managed to find a RPi at a reasonable price locally ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Emexrulsier

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:51 am

I bought my pi2 just last week from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T ... ge_o00_s00 they are still showing stock aswell.

Heater

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:27 pm

tarjalan,

When I want a Pi I just go to the store and buy one. In Helsinki one can get Raspberry Pi from at least three places:

Part Co in Haga : http://www.partco.biz/verkkokauppa/adva ... 0&y=0[url] Part Co is a brilliant electronics store they have all the electronic components, tools and supplies, you might ever need. Just walk in an buy them. They have lot's Pi accessories too.

YE International in Espoo : http://www.yeint.fi/index.php?lang=fin& ... spberry+pi YE is a actually an RS distributor. Located a bit out of the way but a wonderful store.

verkkokauppa, where I guess you have been already : http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/search?q ... i+2+model+

tarjalan

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Heater

Last time I checked Partco (my supplier of choice and in Vantaa, I live is Sipoo) didn't have any Pi2s.

I did, in fact, use Verkkokauppa as I happened to see them when there (looking at camera lenses) - to my surprise as Partco had none.

I will add Yeint to my knowledge base (head).

Thanks.

Heater

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:06 pm

Yes, Part Co were sold out last week or so. I was lucky enough to get a B2 there almost as soon as it was out, Like you I was surprised they had some when went there for something else.

I see they are back in stock today.

pluggy

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:12 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
andrum99 wrote:I notice Curry's PC World are claiming that it runs Windows 10, with no mention of the fact that the version of Windows 10 for Pi 2 is not yet available, or that it is sans-GUI. A bit naughty of them!
They've always been a box shifter and mostly clueless about the products they're selling.

But I can't knock them. My B+ for £17.49 last week was a bargain (and got past the household finance director's (aka SWMBO) spending audit).
You took my hint and bought a B+ then ;)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:50 pm

pluggy wrote:
DougieLawson wrote: But I can't knock them. My B+ for £17.49 last week was a bargain (and got past the household finance director's (aka SWMBO) spending audit).
You took my hint and bought a B+ then ;)
It's freed up my 2B for experiments (the 2B was way too over powered for the light workload on my home server). I was amazed that Mrs. L. didn't complain as much as I'd expected. I had to use a B+ (or another 2B) as the server has a HDD in a USB carrier. Trying to get a 2B for £30 passed as OK by the CFO would have been a bit harder.

Return to “General discussion”