Benja

Re: Seriously? This "box" wont have a case to it?!?

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:24 pm

I believe most people already have a case at home, these things called \'rooms\'. It might be somewhat on the large side, but all cables and accessories will fit nicely inside! ^^

L_J_S_23

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:52 pm

I\'ve honestly never expected the r-pi to come in any kind of case or box. I thought part of the fun of it was being able to sort out the casing yourself and to build something individual.

SlayingDragons

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:23 pm

[quote]Quote from Benja on October 21, 2011, 18:24
I believe most people already have a case at home, these things called \'rooms\'. It might be somewhat on the large side, but all cables and accessories will fit nicely inside! ^^[/quote]

Not very portable though, I tried to carry a project I made that had been cased in a \"room\" around all day, and just felt really weighed down. :\\

[quote]Quote from L_J_S_23 on October 21, 2011, 18:52
I\'ve honestly never expected the r-pi to come in any kind of case or box. I thought part of the fun of it was being able to sort out the casing yourself and to build something individual.[/quote]

And this. Even if it came in a case, I\'d end up taking it out to put in a new case anyways. :P

carlosfm

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:00 pm

I\'m planning on using a small metal cigarillos box, some seem just the right size.
With the advantage that you can open the (top) lid at any time, without tools. :\')
Do you Pi?

Vindicator

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:04 pm

Mine is going to be housed in a keyboard that also has the usb powered hub and a 2.5 inch SATA HDD. So a case would just be unused.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

Bacan

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Any issues with the card resting on bare metal of a box? [Signal shorting or grounding]

Or is a sheet of cardboard or little plastic feet a good idea?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:01 pm

The alpha boards have little squidgy plastic feet. We may not stick the feet on the final boards themselves, but I\'ve asked, and if they\'re not pre-glued for you, they\'ll be included in the box.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

geeus

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:09 pm

For all my electrical projects I has to be poundland every time. I have that many Tupperware project-boxes it is getting mad and you can decorate them whatever way you like. excuse the pun but I think the raspberry pi board as a whole need alot of thinking outside the box.
Gee The Rabid Inventor :)

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:09 pm

[quote]Quote from liz on October 21, 2011, 21:01
The alpha boards have little squidgy plastic feet. We may not stick the feet on the final boards themselves, but I\'ve asked, and if they\'re not pre-glued for you, they\'ll be included in the box.[/quote]

just incl. a stick of blu-tac in the box and it\'ll keep us amused for hours

geeus

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:30 pm

[quote]Quote from ukscone on October 21, 2011, 21:09
The alpha boards have little squidgy plastic feet. We may not stick the feet on the final boards themselves, but I\'ve asked, and if they\'re not pre-glued for you, they\'ll be included in the box.[/quote]

just incl. a stick of blu-tac in the box and it\'ll keep us amused for hours[/quote]

I like the idea of being able to stick it anywhere. Kitchen, wall, next doors cat.
joking aside under tables is not a bad idea ( hello IKEA)

Chris

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:51 pm

[quote]Quote from geeus on October 21, 2011, 21:30

just incl. a stick of blu-tac in the box and it\'ll keep us amused for hours[/quote]

I like the idea of being able to stick it anywhere. Kitchen, wall, next doors cat.
joking aside under tables is not a bad idea ( hello IKEA)[/quote]

Why have an every day table when you can have a linux powered IKEA table.

geeus

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:59 pm

[quote]Quote from Chris on October 21, 2011, 21:51
[quote]Quote from geeus on October 21, 2011, 21:30

joking aside under tables is not a bad idea ( hello IKEA)[/quote]

Why have an every day table when you can have a linux powered IKEA table. [/quote]

Lets just say that little swedish firm has alot to answer for with my psyche. even though I would prefer \"skip diving\" and finding some thing of some use there. mmmmmmmmmmm Scrap

PiOfCube

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:14 pm

[quote]Quote from geeus on October 21, 2011, 21:59
Lets just say that little swedish firm has alot to answer for with my psyche. even though I would prefer \"skip diving\" and finding some thing of some use there. mmmmmmmmmmm Scrap [/quote]

You can find some great stuff while out-and-about.

I have found lots of things in the past while out walking the dog. I can\'t get out much these days though... But anyway... Aside from the usual stuff that people dump in the back lanes (much to the displeasure of the local council) such as fridges, broken TVs, etc etc... I have found PCs that are fully functional apart from a broken CD-ROM drive, small LCD monitors (obviously thrown out when they\'ve upgraded) and once a full server blade. I was disappointed about the server blade because this was during pretty bad weather and there was a great deal of water damage done to the capacitors etc... I did salvage 4 Gigabytes of registered ECC RAM out of it. I was hoping I could check out the hard drives to see if I could find out who owned it last, in case it was stolen property but no joy as the drives had already been taken out by other passers-by.

It does annoy me to see such waste though, all of these devices that could have been put to good use and they often end up being kicked around by kids.

When I was a kid, I wanted to buy a warehouse and fill it up with all this stuff and run it as some kind of bring and buy sale... Anyway, this is getting off-topic LOL...
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -

geeus

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:16 pm

I am starting to loose count of how many eeproms I have rescued from tv pcbs. I also have a local hackspace the recycles alot of hardware flotsome and jetsome. but recently I have found that with a bit of practice and alot of luck dead pci card components can be reused currently and slowly stripping and out burnt out ati radion8650 lots of smd caps and bits and bobs including a 512Mb eeprom yummy. and in fact the power system i have in mind for the Raspberry pi involves voltage regulators rescued from old flatbed scanners.
so never rule out that your hardware is not as dead as it seems.

to quote ghost on the shell, \' on to the disassembly\'
regards Gee

Blars

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:31 am

[quote]Quote from SlayingDragons on October 21, 2011, 19:23
[quote]Quote from Benja on October 21, 2011, 18:24
I believe most people already have a case at home, these things called \'rooms\'. It might be somewhat on the large side, but all cables and accessories will fit nicely inside! ^^[/quote]

Not very portable though, I tried to carry a project I made that had been cased in a \"room\" around all day, and just felt really weighed down. :\\
[/quote]

That\'s why mine has six wheels and a V8.

Benja

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:46 pm

Now that is a clever solution to a lot of problems, let your RasPi transport you!

langlo94

Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:30 am

Hmm, using the RasPi as an automated driver.

Return to “General discussion”