fastR3l0ad3r

Re: Seriously? This "box" wont have a case to it?!?

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:44 am

I heard that this ARM GNU/Linux \"box\" won\'t have a case? :?
Unless the board is indestructible, then this would be a HUGE turnoff.

I was expecting a complete desktop machine, not a barebones

SlayingDragons

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:00 am

...Are you being serious? >_>

Of all the things to complain about, you picked probably the least important and most discussed thing. A case doesn\'t automatically make it a desktop machine, nor really make it a lot more versatile. You\'re underestimating how strong boards really are.

And nothing\'s finalised yet, there may very well be a case included with it or availible for sale along with it. The machine itself is supposed to be barebones, btw, in order to keep cost down. I have no idea why you\'re expecting so many extras with it.

When I get a fully-functional linux machine for $25 that\'s the size of a credit card, I expect it to be full featured and packed with extras, darnit! :P

Lob0426

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:46 am

The RasPI is not a desktop machine. If that is what you are looking for then you might want to look around Ebay or something for a complete computer. I suggest you take a look at the FAQS or the Wiki to see just what the Raspberry Pi really is. The model that is going to go out to the schools and kids will probably have a case, at least I hope so. The rest of us have all kinds of ideas where these things are going to wind up, some of them even end up with a case!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

obarthelemy

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:52 am

A case will be offered for sale later on. It\'s really just a bit a molded plastic, so anything could do. I\'m going for a match box.

Coburn

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:00 am

Mine\'s going to be bundled up with a USB Power Brick in a nice case... Although, will need to make holes so I can access the I/O Ports (HDMI, LAN, USB)...

Bacan

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:15 am

How about two sheets of plexiglass, four stand offs, eight screws and four rubber stick on feet.
Been done before. You can look, yet not touch anything breakable.

obarthelemy

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:28 am

not sure the Pi has holes in it to secure it to the plates. Nice design otherwise.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:38 am

[quote]Quote from fastR3l0ad3r on October 21, 2011, 03:44

[/quote]

Well, if it turns you off that much, I suggest you don\'t buy it. And I think it should be referred to as a \'board\' rather than a \'box\'. Can I ask why you were expecting a complete desktop machine for $25? i.e. where did your expectation come from?

I\'ve been using an unboxed alpha for weeks, crashing around on my desk with other kit, thrown in my bag to take home, don\'t even bother with antistat bags.

Works fine.

A case would add a lot of cost to the basic machine, so will be an \'aftermarket\' accessory, but at the moment no design has been done and it won\'t be available when the board first comes out. All effort is being directed at board design and software.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jamesh

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:39 am

[quote]Quote from obarthelemy on October 21, 2011, 09:28
not sure the Pi has holes in it to secure it to the plates. Nice design otherwise.[/quote]

The alpha does, I need to look at the schematic to know whether the release version does. I\'ll check.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

kme

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:42 am

[quote]Quote from Bacan on October 21, 2011, 05:15
How about two sheets of plexiglass, four stand offs, eight screws and four rubber stick on feet.
Been done before. You can look, yet not touch anything breakable.[/quote]Like I descibed here maybe? http://www.raspberrypi.org/?page_id=43& ... opic&t=797

jacklang

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:57 am

There are mounting holes.
This release is mainly for developers, including third party case suppliers. The board will not yet have gone through CE and EMC testing, so its a hobbyist component not a consumer product.
Next year we plan additionally a bundled package, including case, power adapter, cables, software bundle as a regulatory tested and documented product. Your commmunity input will help us define what is in that, and its price point.

abishur

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Well two things. The first is that this is not a desktop replacement. There\'s a lot of misunderstanding that it is which is why we have a ton of threads of people wanting things like 4 sata ports, 2 GB of memory, gigabit lan, etc. It is however an alternative to a traditional desktop meant to provide access to a computer system for children who normally would not have access to a system where they can do anything and everything they want on.

The second thing is, it\'s a motherboard. Since when does a motherboard come bundled with a case?! Isn\'t that a bit of a unbalanced expectation to think that the r-pi should come with a case when no other motherboard out there comes with a case?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Bacan

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Answer to not having mounting holes: Side/Edge mounting holder clips for my R-Pi card.

KME: The examples I was thinking of were from the 1970s & 80s SBC educational boards with the plexiglass covers. Yes, very much like like what you very nicely described, just I remembered it from 35 years ago.

FYI- Flame treating the edge of plexiglass give it a nice smooth edge.

Bacan

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Abishur: The R-Pi tag line is An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!

So maybe they are having a bad case of believing Everything that Marketing tells them.

garyamort

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:15 pm

[/quote]

Seriously? You can\'t get a devboard with the power of this for less than 50$ and generally they run between 100-150$... And they don\'t have cases either.

Chris

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:47 pm

[/quote]

Then I suggest you actually take a look at what the R-Pi is. Its not a $25 PC to replace the £300 ones you find in the shops, its an educational tool which is to meet a price point.

You do know most PC cases cost more than $25 right?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Expect cases early next year. (As the OP would have realised if he\'d expended even a minimum of effort with the search tool.) And much though I disapprove of the feeding of trolls - I do love you guys.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Chris

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:00 pm

[quote]Quote from liz on October 21, 2011, 14:58
Expect cases early next year. (As the OP would have realised if he\'d expended even a minimum of effort with the search tool.) And much though I disapprove of the feeding of trolls - I do love you guys.[/quote]

>.< it would drive me nuts if I was a mod.

liz

Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:07 pm

It spills over into your real life after a bit. I have to go and have my MacBook poked by a \"Genius\" later on today, and have been warned very severely \"not to get all patronising and moderaty\" with him.

abishur

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm

[quote]Quote from Bacan on October 21, 2011, 14:06
Abishur: The R-Pi tag line is An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!

So maybe they are having a bad case of believing Everything that Marketing tells them. [/quote]

Or maybe they haven\'t bothered to read around on the forums about the issue? The r-pi team has made it painfully clear that the initial release will be just the board with an option (i.e. additional cost) of buying a case for it sometime later. They\'ve even explained the why of this.

Now as to why they\'re calling it an ARM box... well maybe it\'s because I\'ve worked in a professional environment, but when I hear someone say \"a box\" I go, okay so what does that box include? \"Box\" has so many meanings it\'s practically meaningless. Or maybe it\'s referring to the fact that they plan on donating complete systems to children who need it while selling just the board to us hobbyists... which the OP will discover the more they read around on the forum.

@Chris - It usually doesn\'t annoy me too much since I know I\'ve been on the other end enough where someone says something like \"shesh why don\'t you Google it?\" and I\'m sitting there going \"But Google didn\'t turn up anything that\'s why I\'m posting in this board you jerk!\" :P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Scribe

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:16 pm

Hack around with one of these then, same CPU as the Pi, more costly editions even have Wifi, remote and cables included:
http://www.roku.com/roku-products#3

Gert van Loo

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:06 pm

There is a thread about that. I believe nobody has been able to hack one yet....

zerth

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:18 pm

I don\'t know about the rest of you, but mine will come with a case.

The cardboard box it ships in, with a few holes cut out:)

Gert van Loo

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:30 pm

What if we ship it in a padded envelope? :-)

liz

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Scissors, Gert. Scissors. 8)

Return to “General discussion”