jayteasuk

Raspberry PI 2 Rainbow

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Ive received my pi2 after a successful run with PI 1. Ordered a micro sd card, formatted it, installed the PI 2 version of XBMC and i just get the rainbow of death screen.

How do i solve this?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Raspberry PI 2 Rainbow

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:37 pm

XBMC isn't an operating system. Could you be specific about what you actually installed and from where?

jayteasuk

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:37 pm

ive got the open elec version which is used by the masses and i never had a problem on my pi1

http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

fruitoftheloom

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:18 pm

jayteasuk wrote:ive got the open elec version which is used by the masses and i never had a problem on my pi1

http://openelec.tv/get-openelec
Which file did you download

OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.0.6.img.gz

OpenELEC-RPi2.arm-5.0.6.tar

what Rainbow Screen ??
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

jayteasuk

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:10 pm

the zipped image, if you google raspoberry pi rainbow on google yoou'll see the image i am experianving

steve.t.oppenheim

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:19 pm

jayteasuk wrote:Ive received my pi2 after a successful run with PI 1. Ordered a micro sd card, formatted it, installed the PI 2 version of XBMC and i just get the rainbow of death screen.

How do i solve this?

I have found that with the PI 2 you must use the new version of NOOBS which provides a new elements for the PI 2, it will then walk you through the option of choosing 1 or multiple OS's to load onto your newly formatted SD card. I would not think that the old PI1 kernal would work for the PI 2, so the load may function but not the boot. This may be what your experiencing.

If you desire a fully operational Raspbian + OpenELEC dual book SD card and your sd card is 32GB in size
you can try a ready to go image on this thread:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 92#p722892

DirkS

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:25 pm

steve.t.oppenheim wrote:
jayteasuk wrote:Ive received my pi2 after a successful run with PI 1. Ordered a micro sd card, formatted it, installed the PI 2 version of XBMC and i just get the rainbow of death screen.

How do i solve this?
I have found that with the PI 2 you must use the new version of NOOBS which provides a new elements for the PI 2,
Doesn't look relevant to me. AIUI OP used a new SD card and wrote the Pi2 version of Openelec to it.
If done right, this should just work. I wouldn't force Noobs on a user who apparently is comfortable with using 'bare' images...

ShiftPlusOne

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:01 pm

One thing that jumps out is "formatted it" which is not a step in writing a raw image. Perhaps the exact steps you went through would be helpful.

jayteasuk

Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:56 am

sure i used SDformatter v4.0 and ran a quick format over the card

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:20 am

jayteasuk wrote:sure i used SDformatter v4.0 and ran a quick format over the card
Did you set Size Adjustment ON when using SD Card Formatter :?:

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:24 am

Why does it matter? When you write an image, you write over the entire card, so the formatting step doesn't do anything.

This makes me wonder if you've maybe mixed up image and archive install instructions and maybe extracted the img onto the card rather than flashed the card. You're being very terse about what you've actually done, but the fact that the rainbow screen even comes up suggests that you've done a part of the process correctly. Anyway, I'll leave the guesswork to the others.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:52 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:Why does it matter? When you write an image, you write over the entire card, so the formatting step doesn't do anything.

This makes me wonder if you've maybe mixed up image and archive install instructions and maybe extracted the img onto the card rather than flashed the card. You're being very terse about what you've actually done, but the fact that the rainbow screen even comes up suggests that you've done a part of the process correctly. Anyway, I'll leave the guesswork to the others.
Only trying to help, the suggestion was to make sure he had a clean SD Card to start with of the correct size and FAT32.

Though yes definitely a SD Card .IMG install issue afaiac ;)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:01 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:Why does it matter? When you write an image, you write over the entire card, so the formatting step doesn't do anything.
Not true, the "formatting", might actually remove partitions that "are in the way" when you write an image, it may also reset the flash controller on the card. A flash card isn't equivalent to a floppy. I suggest to do what the documentation tells you, and don't use the quick format, and use size adjust. If it does "nothing", it wont do any harm either.

pluggy

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:02 pm

When all else fails, get another SD card off the pile (I'd recommend you have 3 for each Pi you own) and start again from scratch.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

fruitoftheloom

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:09 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Not true, the "formatting", might actually remove partitions that "are in the way" when you write an image, it may also reset the flash controller on the card. A flash card isn't equivalent to a floppy. I suggest to do what the documentation tells you, and don't use the quick format, and use size adjust. If it does "nothing", it wont do any harm either.
+10000000000000 :roll:

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:25 pm

mahjongg wrote:might actually remove partitions that "are in the way" when you write an image
mahjongg wrote:may also reset the flash controller on the card
What does that even mean? There's no such thing as a partition 'in the way'.

http://sourceforge.net/p/win32diskimage ... w.cpp#l307
Regardless of where the volume(partition) is, win32diskimager will find the device(disk), unmount the volume and write to the disk itself.
On Linux, we certainly don't format things first to 'reset the flash controller'. If the controller can't deal with raw data, then it's just broken. I'm open to being corrected, but if what you say is true, Linux users would run into issues with the flash controller not being reset and partitions being in the way (we don't).

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Three points.
  • installing Raspbian will create a number of partitions! So there might clearly be multiple partitions on the card.
  • True, if the card would act the same as a hard-disk imaging it might automatically remove them while it is overwriting the disk-space
  • But an sd-card isn't the exact equivalent of a hard-disk, it uses flash memory that must be wiped before it can be overwritten, also the flash controller may loose track of what it was doing, "resetting" the card will both wipe the flash, and reset the card controller to a factory state.

ShiftPlusOne

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:31 pm

I'll leave it to avoid de-railing the thread.

dpenezic

Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:40 pm

Hi all,
some times is good thing to understand what is written in post and even have experience on that meter.

Simple answer is "RAINBOW" is correct , I try it and got same thing with RPI 2.0. Be aware that RPI 2.0 is little bit different and i suspect that is reason way XBMC from image didnt start correctly.

Return to “General discussion”