skiwithpete

Re: Where are we?

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Like everyone else, I\'m desperate to get my hands on one (or more likely several) of these devices.

Can you update the blog with where in the process the device is (in terms of getting it made and into the hands of people)?

Probably like everyone else, I\'m interested to know what steps remain and how and when they will be achieved. I\'m sure it\'s complicated, but as much light as you can shed on it, I (and likely we) would be grateful.

Something else that would be cool would be knowing how likely I am to get one. How often you\'ll be able to make orders and how big you think demand will be.

The more you involve us in the process, the more we\'ll appreciate it.

Cheers,

P

kme

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:52 pm

+1
And we\'d love to get some info on the physical layout - board size and connector positions if that\'s settled. We are just five weeks away from shipping if the schedule holds, so it should be settled by now. I think?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:55 pm

I\'d say you guys are pretty darn involved in the process already!

Whenever we\'re able to make announcements, they go up on the front page here. As we\'ve said before, we\'re working on finalising artwork at the moment (I mentioned a couple of days ago on Twitter that the final hurdle on that is where we position the quartz crystal, which is causing a bit of re-jigging). As soon as that\'s ready, you get to see it (basically, you\'ll be seeing it as soon as I do). We\'ll let you know when we order the parts, we\'ll let you know when manufacture starts. We\'re trying hard to be as transparent as possible and to keep you as involved as we can - I hope you understand that the software video demos are a big part of the development process alongside the hardware, and also find those interesting!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Lob0426

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:57 pm

+1
Do not forget to ask about what the final decision is on the voltage while you are asking.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Bacan

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Liz & R-Pi team; You\'re doing GREAT, in my personal opinion.

So don\'t let anyone pressure you into anything or even listen to foolish demands. Those of us on the other side of the curtain are just making educated guesses about what might be happening or will happen. We are just being like kids a few days away from Christmas, wanting the presents under the tree.

MG2R

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:17 pm

[quote]Quote from Bacan on October 19, 2011, 23:06
We are just being like kids a few days away from Christmas, wanting the presents under the tree.[/quote]

Aah, yes, I love that feeling :D the impatience is always huge with me!

I share your opinion Bacan! The R-Pi team couldn\'t inform us better they\'re doing right now. I too would like to know a release date though, but hey; that\'s just waiting for Santa ;)

obarthelemy

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:39 am

Thanks for the update.

Indeed Liz, we had a post from Gert (I think)s telling us to stop assuming anything about the PSU. Any final info on that, so that the battery guys can go back to having fun ?

Lob0426

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:54 am

The voltage decision has held me up more than anything else at this point. I do not have a lot of room to work with inside that router and it would be nice to know if I am going to have to find room for a additional items like a power board. I have pretty much been on hold for weeks now. I had it pretty much ready to go to the next step when we got word there might be a change.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

skiwithpete

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:09 am

@liz - Thank you for taking the time to reply. I, and I\'m sure WE, all appreciate you doing this.
But I\'m not asking for you to make announcements when you have nothing to announce... :)
I\'m just trying to figure out (a) if this will happen on time and (b) if it does, how likely I am to get one.
The blog posts have shown mostly development on the Alpha boards (which I\'m still jealous of ;) ) while the information I\'m asking for you to reveal the plans.
Maybe you can\'t. Maybe you won\'t.
I want details like the initial order will be X,XXX units. And when you run out (which you will, I don\'t know if you realize that yet), how long will it take to get more?
Cheers,

P

PS It doesn\'t matter, I\'ll wait just like everyone else, I\'d just love to know.

tnelsond

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:17 am

The initial order will be 10,000 units I believe.

mateli

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:10 am

[quote]Quote from liz on October 19, 2011, 22:55
I hope you understand that the software video demos are a big part of the development process alongside the hardware, and also find those interesting![/quote]

No, not really. There is plenty of software that will run on the raspi already, we are just waiting for the hardware to run it on.

mateli

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:17 am

[quote]Quote from tnelsond on October 20, 2011, 04:17
The initial order will be 10,000 units I believe.[/quote]
Darn. That means they will be out of stock in less then 15 min and sold on ebay for a lot more then $35.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:24 am

[quote]Quote from mateli on October 20, 2011, 09:17
Darn. That means they will be out of stock in less then 15 min and sold on ebay for a lot more then $35.[/quote]

I doubt the website ordering system will work that well!

And since the lead time for the next batch will be pretty short, I doubt that Ebay prices will get too high!

I\'m buying the first 9900 anyway, so that only leaves one hundred for the rest of the world.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

hippy

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:12 am

[quote]Quote from mateli on October 20, 2011, 09:17
Darn. That means they will be out of stock in less then 15 min and sold on ebay for a lot more then $35.[/quote]
If the first batch is buy-one-gift-one, and also capped to a maximum order of two per buyer that means there could be just 2,500 lucky campers. I\'m not sure if 10K is the finalised figure or if that\'s 10K A + 10K B or 10K A+B but I\'m resigned to likely having to wait until the second or third batch to get my hands on an R-Pi B.

While premature, I\'d like to have a rough idea when that will be. Given the Christmas holidays I\'d guess not before January at the earliest, but that\'s just gut feeling.

Burngate

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:27 am

My boss just asked me if I was willing to work Christmas. So will RasPi ship by then? Or should I work Xmas, and have the New Year off to play with it?

toxibunny

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:07 pm

[quote]Quote from hippy on October 20, 2011, 10:12

If the first batch is buy-one-gift-one, and also capped to a maximum order of two per buyer that means there could be just 2,500 lucky campers. [/quote]

It *could mean that, but wouldn\'t it make more sense for the \'buy-one-gift-one\' thingy to be flexible enough to apply later. i.e. the \'gift\' raspis could easily just come out of the second batch...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

hippy

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Good point toxibunny.

abishur

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:24 pm

[quote]Quote from mateli on October 20, 2011, 09:10
[quote]Quote from liz on October 19, 2011, 22:55
I hope you understand that the software video demos are a big part of the development process alongside the hardware, and also find those interesting![/quote]

No, not really. There is plenty of software that will run on the raspi already, we are just waiting for the hardware to run it on. [/quote]

And how would you know that there is plenty of software that will run on the r-pi unless someone had showcased that evidence for you in a software demo???

<rant/>Also, I can\'t stand the eBay thing. As if there was ever a product that you had to have so immediately that it made sense to pay 10x for it on eBay rather than waiting for the next shipment or, dare I say it? even a month or two extra. And people wonder why video game and systems have become so expensive!</rant>
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Bacan

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Maybe a program can be started for all these Hot to Have It people. A way to Donate\'em back for the disadvantaged, after the new toy smell wears off and before it is lost on a shelf or in a closet?

God knows, I\'ve got enough boxed part in the garage to help an number of people or clubs.

liz

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:39 pm

The distribution of the 10k units isn\'t quite like Hippy envisages - the BOGO system doesn\'t work to take units out of the pool, so there won\'t only be 2500 available. And as we\'ve said before, production is very quick once we\'ve got started, so that 10k isn\'t a hard ceiling.

Speaking of eBay, for those of you who ABSOLUTELY MUST have one, there is a plan in the works for a limited special edition of about 50 signed boards (in a PCB colour we\'ll never use again), which we are going to sell via charity auction. If you\'re rich and desperate, that might be your speediest route in.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

skiwithpete

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:38 am

Thanks Liz.

I\'m an ad man by profession and this project has a rare \"word of mouth\" buzz. I live in NZ and I heard people at the local computer store discussing this product the other day. I have to imagine as I sleep during the UKs daylight hours, I won\'t be able to purchase one of the first units.

I believe the first 10K will sell out in the first hour. Probably less. In fact, we should start a discussion group pool.

Anyways, getting back to the original point of this thread. You should post these numbers and details about your ability have a second run and third run (on specific dates) as this will help us \"fans\" cope with needing to be patient. Also the 50 signed boards is a great idea, but why don\'t you mention it on the front page instead...

We\'ll soon be your customers and the more you involve us (and disclose to us) the happier we\'ll be (even if you have to tell us to wait).

Cheers,

P

MorgUK

Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:51 am

Is it 5k A and 5k B?

Gert van Loo

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:35 am

My guess is 3K A and 7K B. (So even I have not got all the details...)

Scribe

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:42 am

Limit the number of purchases per person in the first instance seems fair to me, or you\'ll end up with a few very happy people and many unhappy people.

abishur

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:27 pm

I kinda doubt there will need to be any such limitation. As they\'ve been saying once it\'s in production, a second batch won\'t take long to produce. Limiting the amount of devices one can order would actually end up counter productive.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Return to “General discussion”