Jim JKla

rj45 Wi-fi not usb

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:49 pm

I found this on amazon

Portable Mini Travel 3-in-1 Wireless 802.11 N WiFi WLAN Network Router/Access Point/Client Adapter

At circa 28 quid it aint cheap but I recon it should allow you to connect with wi-fi using the ethernet port. I'd love to try it but it's not in my disposable income price range I'm nearer a nano usb wifi connecter for a fiver price range.

I would be interested if there's anyone who has tried it.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

AndrewS

Re: rj45 Wi-fi not usb

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:49 am

a) Would it have hurt to provide a link? ;) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Travel ... B00438INGI

b) I've not tried this (or my suggestions below) myself, but AIUI they should "just work"

c) There's no need for a router (it'll only make the setup more complicated), all you need is a "wireless bridge" e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vonets-VAP11G-W ... B0050AI804

d) The other alternative would be something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-85Mbps- ... B002XL6IUU

:)

Jim JKla

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:00 am

Cheers :) valid points here's a response (not an argument) ;)

a) Links to Amazon and E-Bay can be flaky and vanish, and I was hurrying. ;)

b) Once I looked up AIUI (As I Understand It) cool. (I had to Google AIUI). 8-)

c) I was assuming that if you are looking at wi-fi you probably had a wireless router already. ;)

d) If this replaces the first item it actually costs more and if it's with the first item it doubles the price. :?

I was looking to use the ethernet port to prevent loss of the USB port to wireless If you are using the bridge you have to power it from the USB it's all moot to me I don't have the disposable income. :(
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

exartemarte

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:50 am

I'm using the Vonets wifi bridge as suggested above and I'm very happy with it. I note that you are currently somewhat strapped, but you never know, there might be a change in your fortunes...

A specific benefit of using an Ethernet bridge, as against a USB dongle, is that you don't have to fight the operating system to make it work - just plug in and go.

I am powering mine from the hub, but it doesn't have to occupy a hub output. Although it's not visible in the pictures there is a power input socket in the base, and the usb adapter comes off to reveal a power output connector, so you can plug your hub supply into the bridge and the bridge's output connector into the hub. Also, since it runs on 5 - 15V, you could do the same if you were using it with a small Ethernet switch. All in all, it seems pretty well thought out.

Forrrge

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:59 am

I never thought about using a powerline adapter, great idea. The one I've linked to below gives you over twice the speed for just a little more.

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack

On a related subject regarding wifi usb dongles, has anyone found one that works without having to use a USB hub? My Pi is ordered so I'm just gathering the bits I'll need for when it comes, I might go down the powerline adapter route if I can't get hold of a reliable USB Wifi dongle.

Reider

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:28 am

For me, the Edimax 7811Un is both cheap and successful in working directly in the RasPi USB Port. In fact it`s caused boot up problems running from a USB Hub. I have tested mine in both Debian Squeeze and Debian Wheezy and it thankfully works in both. It`s a small size and I add it with a script from http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =26&t=6256 Don`t worry about it not being the speed of an N type adaptor, it is fast and especially in Wheezy. I seriously doubt the USB ports used in the RasPi would take much advantage of any increased speed.

Currently I have the Edimax direct in the RasPi USB Port (£8), in the lower USB Port I connected an unpowered USB Hub I bought from the pound shop and yes the HDMI cable is from there too, into which I have a Rii mini keyboard/trackpad-BT and got it for about £20. Plus I have a BT adaptor from the poundshop-guess the price. None of this setup presents a problem and I am able to use BT to a Pic Frame that has had Linux added to it, even though I have 2 BT adaptors plugged in to the USB hub.

This post is for the user above but in the context of the thread I believe that small £17 Vonnets type is one that works. If I needed one I guess that is the one I`d have gone for. Not oversize, a sensible idea, tested (if it`s the one I recall), and a good pricing point. I needed something even smaller so I can add the RasPi with a cam, an Arduino, Power of some description to a set of bogey wheels on a scutter, finally adding my robotic arm. So I can control it and see it via VNC from the relative comfort of another room. We all have different needs so I guess this results in different choices. Hence my excessive diatribe in explaining my setup and uses. Far better, in my view, if you know something works before you buy it.

Hope this helps,

Steve

exartemarte

Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:50 am

Solutions to a variety of problems are emerging as the number of users with reliable setups grows, and the wifi device described above by Reider seems to be one of them. It's very useful when, as well as coming here for help or advice, people come back to tell the rest of us what worked.

After I'd sorted my connectivity problem (by using an Ethernet bridge) I found I had other problems which were solved by using a single power supply for everything.

I'm happy with my current setup, but when I have nothing better to do I might have another go at installing my usb wifi dongle, just to see whether it works now that the other problems have been sorted.

Hubertrum

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:40 am

It seems there's a lot of opinions out there as to which is the best way to configure a R-Pi wirelessly. I am not sure what a wifi bridge.

Can someone please explain the easiest way to get my R-Pi connected to wi-fi?

I want to use Debian Wheezy on my current R-PI and RASPBMC on my other one when it comes.
I have ordered a powered USB Hub. I have an Edimax wifi adapter. But if this can be done easier with bridges then please explain how that can be done with the 2 existing USB ports of the R-Pi.

exartemarte

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:59 am

Using the usb wifi dongle you already have is clearly the cheapest option - provided it works and is available.

A wireless Ethernet bridge is a network device, not a usb one - so it connects to your Pi's Ethernet port, not to a usb port. It needs no drivers or installation on the Pi, which thinks it has a wired Ethernet connection. You do have to set the bridge up initially, ie tell it the name and security key for your wireless network, using a Windows pc or laptop and the software and instructions provided. After that you can just connect it to any device that expects a wired Ethernet connection - including an Ethernet switch if you want to share it with other devices.

I use this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vonets-VAP11G-W ... B0050AI804

Montala

Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:11 am

Having read the above posts, another option (I think!) which I have just found on Amazon is a Mini wireless pocket router: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palm-Size-Porta ... 33&sr=1-17

I am not too familiar with w-fi terms, but using it in 'client adapter' mode, but could I just connect the LAN socket to my RasPi and use it as a wi-fi receiver, or not?

peterm2

Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:57 am

I have the same problem - Limited funds!. My R-pi is in my 'office' where the computer is connected to the rest of the house and the Internet by wireless. Everything I see implies that you can download stuff from the Internet to the Pi to configure the wireless, but that is catch-22.

If you don't mind working without wireless security for awhile, I have a Netgear ME101 (One available on e-bay) that is an Ethernet connected device as a wireless bridge. From what I remember there was a configuration disk that ran under XP.

The other thing that I would like is instructions on how I can download R-Pi stuff on my Ubuntu office computer, get it on to the R-Pi SD card, and thus configure/build the application. In years gone by I did configure Wpa-supplicant on the ubuntu boxes, but it is now pretty easy, so I might need to dig out my notes on how I did that.

Cheers, on a wet Saturday. I might give up temporarily and go and watch Serena Williams win at the tennis.

Peter M.

Jim JKla

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:46 pm

We are hacking though some interesting solutions so I guess the thread is going to benifit some people.

If someone does figure out a solution for a cheap USB Wi-fi (I am thinking £5 USB micro dongle) can we put together a write up for the wiki (I am prepared to help with the wiki page if you are not sure). ;)

I remember the first wiki page I put together being a daunting prospect. 8-)

maddogdave

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:13 pm

I've also been looking into wireless connections using spare equipment I already have rather than buy new, also to see what I can get to work. There's a lot of posts on wireless dongles and luckily the ones I have appear to work for some (but not yet for me). Ultimately I will probably stick to a wired connection or maybe get a smaller nano sized adapter once they are fully supported / documented. But with a spare Edimax Wireless Router BR-6204-WLg it was fairly straightforward to create a wireless bridge by setting it to "client bridge mode" and as a "DHCP client" and letting it link up to my existing router / network. Gave me 4 LAN ports, tested one with a Windows laptop and then another with the Raspberry Pi. In this mode I'm only using the wireless on this router to link to my existing wireless network, giving me the RJ45 LAN ports for the Pi and other equipment. It's not a compact or neat solution so I don't recommend going out any buying one, but it does show that an old wireless router can be used for this purpose to latch onto an existing wifi network where runnning a cable is not possible. If you have an old wireless router then give it a try first.
Dave

exartemarte

Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Unfortunately some wireless routers won't operate in bridge mode - including an old Netgear one I'd thought I might use for the purpose.

JoeDaStudd

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:48 pm

The only trouble with using a device like that is they aren't generally the easiest to setup (bridge mode can be hidden, weird default ips address, etc), they are pretty static and they aren't very portable.

Stick with a nano wifi dongle if you can afford one (EW-7811Un is less then £9 delivered) as they are very nice pieces of kit in an amazing form factor.

Grumpy Mike

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:03 pm

JoeDaStudd wrote: Stick with a nano wifi dongle if you can afford one (EW-7811Un is less then £9 delivered) as they are very nice pieces of kit in an amazing form factor.
Still stuck with the catch 22 situation. You can't install the software to make it work without a Wi_Fi connection or wired Ethernet connection.

Jim JKla

Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:08 pm

All we need to get round this is have someone with a wired connection build a wheezy copy thats got the dongle up and running make an image of this available. ;)

Preferably on a 2gig unexpanded SD then it maximises the install options

Montala

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 am

I know that this is quite an old thread, but this a subject which does seem to crop up on a fairly regular basis, especially as more than a few users seem to be having problems setting up USB wi-fi adapters, when plugged into their Raspberry Pi, or rather into a powered hub.

One solution which has already been mentioned is the Vonets VAP11G WIFI Bridge, obtainable from Amazon, and elsewhere, or another alternative, which I am using myself is the small TP-Link-TL R702N nano router. (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... =TL-WR702N)

This little device, which costs only a few pounds more can be 'run' in either AP, Router, Repeater, Bridge or Client mode, although in this case 'Client' mode is the one to use. It just require connecting to another Windows or Mac PC first, and the appropriate settings quickly saved to the device, following the clear instructions. (http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=395)

It can then simply be plugged into the Ethernet port of your RasPi, and voilà... wi-fi internet access. Although it comes with its own 3 pin PSU, it can also be powered from a 5v USB socket and has both the power and Ethernet leads included.

One advantage of using something like this is of course that if, for example, that you don't have to use a powered hub... or go through the 'hassle' of trying to make you RasPi recognise your wireless adapter!

Return to “General discussion”