gzz

Re: Dosbox. What have you got running.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Anyone notice that the dosbox from apt-get doesnt have the ARM dynamic recompiler in it? (or maybe its only for armv7+, shrug)

Wonder if that could improve some things.

Also, I believe the webos version of dosbox had opengles working, so that might also help.

Maybe I'll take a look at it...

Vanfanel

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:14 am

I'm wondering the same... Why does the DosBOX version in the apt repository have dynarec disabled? This would be VERY important in the Raspberry Pi.
We could get games and programs to run at a VERY decent speed with this feature enabled!

gzz

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:38 pm

I've manually compiled my own dosbox with (I think) the proper configure options and there is very little speed difference.

So while the apt-get binary doesn't have core=dynamic available it doesn't seem to matter.

Speed is equivalent to approx a slow 386.

Now if we can get the sdl video ported to dispmanx that might improve some things.

billb

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Over the weekend I played with "Jumpman Lives!" (a DOS port of Randy Glover's Jumpman written by Dave Sharpless) some over the weekend. I had trouble with sound until I changed to cycles=max while running the RPi in "turbo" mode. Still got the occasional audio buffer underrun / hiccup but otherwise it ran well.

Also, I played Ragnarok a bit. It's the greatest ... roguelike ... ever. :mrgreen: It is freeware and can be found here:

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppe ... gnarok.htm

dan-youd

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:36 pm

chromebookbob wrote:I got civilisation 1, elite, simcity & worms working.
I realise this is an old post but how did you get worms working on dosbox on the pi? I have tried but it just freezes on the dos protect mode startup. Did you try it on soft floating point or hard floating point?

dan-youd

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Just got Duke Nukem working, got C&C Red Alert to start but it was extremely slow. Still can't get worms to load though

bobbysq

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Has anyone tried anything that is meant to run on Windows 95? I'm interested in playing some old Lego games.

franck

Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of installing Windows 95 on FastDOSBox 1.5 using the binary from the PiStore.

I have good hope it works before the end of the night.

Problem is that I never played any games on Win95.
Some of you can recommend me some games that could run on 386/486 Win95 setup ? (I guess with no DirectX from the 1995-1997 era).

Thanks.
Franck / NoRisc-NoFun - [email protected]
http://www.norisc-nofun.co.uk
Twitter : @noriscnofun1

abishur

Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 pm

I've installed Windows 3.1 on Dosbox. It works, but it's not great. As I recall when I did it, Dosbox, regardless of if you're using the Pi or a traditional computer, cannot handle Win95.

Other things I've run on Dosbox:

Chip's Challenge (in Win 3.1)
A slew of Edutainment games such as Treasure Mountain, Outnumbered, Midnight Rescue
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Mortimer

Thu May 23, 2013 12:17 pm

abishur wrote:As I recall when I did it, Dosbox, regardless of if you're using the Pi or a traditional computer, cannot handle Win95.
Really? I have iDOS on my iPhone, which is based on DOSbox 0.74, which runs Windows 95.

Screen grab from iPhone...

--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

abishur

Thu May 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Mortimer wrote:
abishur wrote:As I recall when I did it, Dosbox, regardless of if you're using the Pi or a traditional computer, cannot handle Win95.
Really? I have iDOS on my iPhone, which is based on DOSbox 0.74, which runs Windows 95.
I'm just repeating what I learned while setting up windows 3.1 Specifically from here

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405

Taking a look at this instructional again just now I notice at the bottom he's using version .70 which might explain why the information appears to be outdated ;-)

I suppose it's also worth noting that when I initially did my stuff (and haven't really touched it since then) I was using the softfloat version of the pi. There might be a slight performance increase running dosbox on Raspbian, but even with a performance boost win95 would be as slow as molasses. As I recall someone got WinXP to boot onto the pi. It took 8 hours, but it "ran" :-P

franck

Thu May 23, 2013 5:24 pm

On FastDOSBox, windows 3.1 is pretty smooth (well like on 386 @ 25Mhz). I spent couple of hours on Windows 95 (OSR2) but got unlucky at the end of the installation process.
Not sure it makes sense to run Windows 95 on a RPi anyway.

ZinUru

Thu May 30, 2013 12:30 pm

Civilization works very well.
Star Control 2 lagging even with 1000 Mhz overclocking unfortunately.

P.S. Tested with original DosBox.

abishur

Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 pm

ZinUru wrote: Star Control 2 lagging even with 1000 Mhz overclocking unfortunately.

P.S. Tested with original DosBox.
SC2 is hands down my favorite game of *all* time. You can run the Ur-Quan Master's version very nicely on the pi. I did a post here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... f=2&t=5310 describing how to run it from terminal, I'm not sure if it's still necessary or if they worked out the issue.

ZinUru

Fri May 31, 2013 7:34 am

abishur, thank you, I'll try it!

ZinUru

Fri May 31, 2013 10:13 am

franck wrote:On FastDOSBox, windows 3.1 is pretty smooth (well like on 386 @ 25Mhz). I spent couple of hours on Windows 95 (OSR2) but got unlucky at the end of the installation process.
Not sure it makes sense to run Windows 95 on a RPi anyway.
I have working Windows 98 lite image with S3-video, Sound Blaster and NE2000-network drivers installed but I don't think it's a good idea to run W95 or 98 on RPI. But I'll test it anyway soon.
P.S. Does FastDOSBox support NE2000? Who can tell me?

ZinUru

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:51 pm

Tried Star Control 2 on FastDOSBox too - no speed increase. :(
Also tried to run Win98lite image with no success.

franck

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:47 pm

ZinUru wrote:Tried Star Control 2 on FastDOSBox too - no speed increase. :(
Also tried to run Win98lite image with no success.

Hi,

Which version of Fastdosbox did you try ?

Sincerely,

Franck

ZinUru

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Which version of Fastdosbox did you try ?
Hi! The last one from Pi Store - v1.5.

chocolate

Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:13 am

On !fastdosbox (RISC OS), I was able to run Commander Keen 1, Duke 1, and God of Thunder with out any major problems, but games like Commander Keen 4 had too many issues (unplayable ones). I might give the GNU/Linux port (Raspbian) a try.
New RISC OS user.

Thecicada

Re: Dosbox. What have you got running

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Blood runs fine although it has no sound as long as you up emulated cpu speed there is no frame drop I have heard of .ini file changes to get sound working but been scared to tamper with it

DavidS

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:11 pm

The DOSBox setings are pretty simple to understand. Probably setting the emulated sound card to an SB16 and making the settings match what the game expects (remember back then we often had to physically change jumper settings for programs that had different expectations, a lot safer to just edit an ini).

This is a good necro thread to bring back, especially with all the current talk about x86 software on the RPi.

To add my reply to the initial thread:
Everything from Watcom C, to DesqView X, GEM, Windows 98SE, GEOS x86, an older RedHat Linux, CP/M-86 with AT patches, and a lot of programs and games with each. This all with FastDOSBox in RISC OS. Thought I do not do much with it anymore, it is a good reminder of the problems of doing anything productive on the x86 series CPU's (strange segmentation [both real mode and PMODE], IDT/GDT, odd behaviours, TSS, etc).
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “General discussion”