ltaber

Newark Shipping Charges

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:58 am

Is there any chance that the Raspberry Pi foundation will partner with Mouser or DigiKey to reduce the shipping charges here in the United States? Newark will not even tell me the shipping cost until after the order is placed -- with credit card information. Mouser or DigiKey are MUCH easier to deal with.

ame

Re: Newark Shipping Charges

Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:20 am

You could buy from DealExtreme. Free shipping to anywhere!

rpiswag

Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:27 am

I have bought A LOT of products from newark including Raspberry Pis shipping was not expensive I would buy from them. I have never bought a product that was inferior or low quality. Newark is one of my favorite place to buy electronics from. The shipping price is nowhere near the price of Adafruit.
A computer's power can't be just measured Gigahertz. It is the same thing with us humans.

Jednorozec

Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:51 am

ame wrote:You could buy from DealExtreme. Free shipping to anywhere!
$55.44 for a Pi 2. No thanks!
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

ame

Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:38 am

Jednorozec wrote:
ame wrote:You could buy from DealExtreme. Free shipping to anywhere!
$55.44 for a Pi 2. No thanks!
C'mon, man. Free shipping, and it will be delivered within 2 months. What's not to like?

rahlquist

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:39 am

ltaber wrote:Is there any chance that the Raspberry Pi foundation will partner with Mouser or DigiKey to reduce the shipping charges here in the United States? Newark will not even tell me the shipping cost until after the order is placed -- with credit card information. Mouser or DigiKey are MUCH easier to deal with.
MCMElectronics will quote you shipping before order completion. Newark, MCM, and Element14 are all subsidiaries of Farnell ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Farnell ). I agree the shipping sucks. I am fortunate I have 2 Microcenter locations nearby and both stock the Pi2 for $35. Unfortunately they are not allowed to ship them, I am guessing thats part of their agreement with Farnell who is the sole official distributor in the US.

EDIT: This is one of the problems with exclusivity. Farnell companies do not offer cheap or free shipping as a rule, very few rare exceptions. The only person who winds in this agreement is Farnell. Unfortunately there are not many companies with their reach.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:10 am

rahlquist wrote: EDIT: This is one of the problems with exclusivity. Farnell companies do not offer cheap or free shipping as a rule, very few rare exceptions. The only person who winds in this agreement is Farnell. Unfortunately there are not many companies with their reach.
MCM is doing a shipping deal this weekend. They'll ship for $6. That's a pretty decent rate.

Bananaguns

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:39 am

I got mine from amazon, of course at a mark up but cheaper than eBay or anywhere else that I could find. Newark and mcm have ridiculous shipping cost. I sell on eBay and amazon and it cost %1.93 to ship anything under 13oz. That's for me, for companies with over 200 orders a month you get discounts via USPS. I went to order an oklt10 (boost circuit) which weighs less than an ounce and shipping was $6 -_-
I will gladly pay a premium to some smalltime vendor rather than pay ridiculous shipping to a giant company that doesnt need to rip people off on shipping.

pottzie

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:31 pm

I bought my first Pi from Newark and in the process had to create a user name and password, both of which were promptly forgotten, since I figured I'd never buy anything from them again. So when I ordered the Pi2, I couldn't complete the online order and had to do it over the phone. The sales rep figured the price, and informed me that with shipping it would be around 43 dollars. I figured I had to bite the bullet, and ordered it. When the bill came it was for just the Pi2, and nothing else- there were no shipping charges. So I hope that is Newark's policy, and I just didn't get lucky.

Hope this helps.

Muskoka1

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:47 pm

I'm in Canada and I don't / won't buy from them. First off, no Paypal, no thanks. Second, they only offer Fedex or Purolator, no thanks. Third, it says to request a shipping quote, no thanks.

Offer instant shipping rates like everyone else so I know what to expect, offer USPS like everyone else, good old regular mail, no couriers, and accept Paypal like everyone else.

I also live in a rural area and get all my mail at my village Post Office, no choice. They won't ship to my P.O. Box, that's not a problem with other online vendors I deal with. There's way too many online vendors willing to "accommodate" a customer in every way, those are the folks I deal with.

Just my take, and thoughts on Newark.

Glen

ltaber

Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:28 am

Both DigiKey and Mouser can and will use USPS first class for small items like the Raspberry Pi. What does the Raspberry Pi Foundation have against dealing with them? I really doubt the foundation makes any money from the excessive shipping charges by Newark/Element 14.

klricks

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:26 am

ltaber wrote:Both DigiKey and Mouser can and will use USPS first class for small items like the Raspberry Pi. What does the Raspberry Pi Foundation have against dealing with them? I really doubt the foundation makes any money from the excessive shipping charges by Newark/Element 14.
The RPF is not the manufacture of the RPi. The parent company of Newark/Element 14 does the manufacturing of the RPi under license of the RPF. Newark/Element 14 would have to be the ones to deal with Digikey/ Mouser etc.... not the RPF....... And I don't believe Newark/Element 14 is going to sell the RPi to Digikey / Mouser for less than $35.... So I don't see anything like that happening.

FYI - In Feb. I bought 2 RPi 2B from Newark and was charged $10.40 UPS (2-3 day).
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Muskoka1

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:26 pm

Using a "courier" is fine, if it's not going across a border. We get "nailed" with brokerage fees, and the like when stuff comes across the border using a courier. Had enough of it buying rc stuff. If something crosses the border using USPS, the only charge you may have is "Canadian" taxes, if the value of the order is high enough.

I buy all my rpi stuff locally, "shipped", here in Canada, and yes, it's usually around $10-$15, depending on how much you order. It's cheaper to get something from China, (for me), than it is from Newark, and pay courier shipping.

No biggie, just stating why I'll never buy from them. Tried once, saw the shipping options, and that was the last time I looked for anything from Newark. Like I said, lots of "accommodating" online vendors to buy from.

Glen

rahlquist

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:20 am

W. H. Heydt wrote: MCM is doing a shipping deal this weekend. They'll ship for $6. That's a pretty decent rate.
That is more fair. Still a bit overpriced in my book. A Pi2 fits in a small priority mail flat rate box and ships for $5.35 with free shipping supplies (I know I shipped one). Matter of fact you could easily ship 2 in that same box for the same price.

Shipping in bulk like MCM does, they should be able to do it for $4-3.50.

rahlquist

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:27 am

klricks wrote: The RPF is not the manufacture of the RPi. The parent company of Newark/Element 14 does the manufacturing of the RPi under license of the RPF. Newark/Element 14 would have to be the ones to deal with Digikey/ Mouser etc.... not the RPF....... And I don't believe Newark/Element 14 is going to sell the RPi to Digikey / Mouser for less than $35.... So I don't see anything like that happening.

FYI - In Feb. I bought 2 RPi 2B from Newark and was charged $10.40 UPS (2-3 day).
Microcenter sells them for $34.99. Their price tag on the shelf references either Farnell or MCM. The wont ship them and I imagine that is part of their agreement with Farnell/MCM/Neware/Element14.

$10.40 is high for priority mail shipping. My wife runs an embroider business from our home and she did over $10k in USPS shipping last year. 2 Pi2 should ship for $5.50 or less priority mail. Handling to package should take an experienced shipper less than 2 minutes and $1 in supplies.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:35 am

rahlquist wrote: Microcenter sells them for $34.99. Their price tag on the shelf references either Farnell or MCM. The wont ship them and I imagine that is part of their agreement with Farnell/MCM/Neware/Element14.
That's all very well...but the nearest Microcenter store to where I live is something over 400 miles away. Not exactly a place to go to on a whim.

rahlquist

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:59 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
rahlquist wrote: Microcenter sells them for $34.99. Their price tag on the shelf references either Farnell or MCM. The wont ship them and I imagine that is part of their agreement with Farnell/MCM/Neware/Element14.
That's all very well...but the nearest Microcenter store to where I live is something over 400 miles away. Not exactly a place to go to on a whim.
Agreed, I was mainly pointing out that Microcenter obviously has no issue selling them at $35 and I doubt they are doing so at a loss, so obviously Farnell is indeed willing to sell at wholesale.

RaTTuS

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:04 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Lob0426

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:18 pm

I received my Pi2 from Newark/Element14 from USPS. I think it was $6 for two boards to be shipped. The default is for $10 shipping. You have to change the default shipping option.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Brendan Quigley

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:41 pm

Right now, http://www.Buyapi.ca has $15 shipping to the US, $11 shipping in Canada, $10 shipping in Ontario or Quebec, and Free pick-up in Ottawa.

If that helps.

Update: Orders over $200 are free Canada-Wide
Last edited by Brendan Quigley on Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Bearded Social Media Manger for BuyaPi.ca :)
Send me a message here or on our social media if you have any questions

leon_heller

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:50 pm

I get free shipping from Farnell (same company as Newark) for orders over £20, here in the UK. :D From RS as well.
Leon Heller
G1HSM

Muskoka1

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:58 pm

I often use these guys, http://www.robotshop.com/en/ , this is the U.S. link, I use their Canadian site. They state that orders over $200 shipping is free, and under $200 it's $9 in the U.S..

My last order with Robotshop with "Express" shipping in Canada, shipping was $9.29 on a $75 order.

Glen

mettadas

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:06 pm

klricks wrote: FYI - In Feb. I bought 2 RPi 2B from Newark and was charged $10.40 UPS (2-3 day).
Here in Canada their minimum shipping charge seems to be $20. What's worse, when I tried to order something that was in stock along with something that wasn't, the shipping fee was $40, even though I asked them to ship when everything was available. It dropped back down to $20 when I trimmed my order to just the backordered RPIs.

$40 is a lot of money for an envelope.

Frank.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:25 pm

leon_heller wrote:I get free shipping from Farnell (same company as Newark) for orders over £20, here in the UK. :D From RS as well.
Generally speaking...distances are shorter in the UK. Or, as one version of an old joke has it, in the US, a hundred years is a long time; in Europe, a hundred miles is a long distance.

When I order from MCM--they're in Ohio and I'm in California--the shipping distance is the better part of 2000 miles.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:36 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
leon_heller wrote:I get free shipping from Farnell (same company as Newark) for orders over £20, here in the UK. :D From RS as well.
Generally speaking...distances are shorter in the UK. Or, as one version of an old joke has it, in the US, a hundred years is a long time; in Europe, a hundred miles is a long distance.

When I order from MCM--they're in Ohio and I'm in California--the shipping distance is the better part of 2000 miles.
You do, do distances to a different order of magnitude over there in Leftpondia.

Here in Rightpondia, when I saw
W. H. Heydt wrote: That's all very well...but the nearest Microcenter store to where I live is something over 400 miles away. Not exactly a place to go to on a whim.
my first thought was that's the distance between London & Edinburgh.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “General discussion”