georgewa

Where to buy RPi 2 living in USA?

Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:35 am

Hi! Just a quick question, for those living in the USA, where is the best place to purchase the RPi 2 ?

If you are thinking big, and want to purchase all the available accessory components for the RPi 2, what would be the best place to shop if you live in the USA?

Thank you.

Jednorozec

Re: Where to buy RPi 2 living in USA?

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:39 am

Adafruit is an excellent company that has a lot of Raspberry Pi stuff along with tutorials and a forum. I would especially recommend this power supply http://www.adafruit.com/products/1995. Because they're not an official distributor they charge more than list for the RPis. The official distributor is mcmelectornics.com. I get stuff from both companies.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

klricks

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

DavidSturzenbecher

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:22 pm

I also buy from Adafruit. They have great starter/sample code for all the little sensors and doo daads they sell, so I like to buy form them whenever logical.

rgvraspi

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:34 pm

I've purchased several Raspberry Pi (including the latest RPI2) and cases from www.newark.com. Never had a problem.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:37 pm

if you want to buy it over the counter and have a microcenter in your area then they normally have them in stock plus accessories.

georgewa

Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:14 pm

Thank you all for your help with purchasing a RPi2 in the US.

Are there any really good "kit" deals in your opinion, so one does not have to go a la carte for everything, because the costs really start adding up ?

klricks

Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:27 pm

georgewa wrote:Thank you all for your help with purchasing a RPi2 in the US.

Are there any really good "kit" deals in your opinion, so one does not have to go a la carte for everything, because the costs really start adding up ?
The only real expense is a monitor. I got monitor free from where work but had to fix it. Look for a monitor with DVI from a 2nd hand store.
Buy the cheapest wired keyboard and mouse you can find at Walmart.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm

I use MCM for Pis, Adafruit for PSUs, Monoprice for cables and mice, Fry's for keyboards and a local thrift shop for monitors.

Cases...I'm still evaluating sources on cases for the B+ and Pi2B. MCM has ones that aren't bad, but if you install the SD card cover you have to take the case apart (4 screws) to change it, which strikes me as a less than good design.

On keyboards, i don't recommend going as cheap as you can. Get a relatively low cost keyboard from a reputable manufacturer if all you want is something to do minor amounts of typing. I prefer the Logitech K120 for that. If you want a *good* keyboard, my prference is the Unicomp Model M, but they aren't cheap at $80, though that's still pretty reasonable for quality mechanical switch keyboard.

Mandrewpi

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:54 am

MCM
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

rahlquist

Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:57 am

georgewa wrote:Hi! Just a quick question, for those living in the USA, where is the best place to purchase the RPi 2 ?

If you are thinking big, and want to purchase all the available accessory components for the RPi 2, what would be the best place to shop if you live in the USA?.
Microcenter has them in their stores for walk in only purchase. $34.99. MCMElectronics also has it in its retail store I have read. Many places in the US will let you order, Sparkfun, Adafruit, MCMElectronics, Amazon etc. The difference is, mail order/online order you are going to get killed on shipping unless you buy enough with one of these companies to qualify for free shipping.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:05 am

rahlquist wrote:
georgewa wrote:Hi! Just a quick question, for those living in the USA, where is the best place to purchase the RPi 2 ?

If you are thinking big, and want to purchase all the available accessory components for the RPi 2, what would be the best place to shop if you live in the USA?.
Microcenter has them in their stores for walk in only purchase. $34.99. MCMElectronics also has it in its retail store I have read. Many places in the US will let you order, Sparkfun, Adafruit, MCMElectronics, Amazon etc. The difference is, mail order/online order you are going to get killed on shipping unless you buy enough with one of these companies to qualify for free shipping.
On shipping... Yes. That's an issue. However, there are ways to beat the problem. You can get together with friends to make a big enough order to get free shipping. Sometimes, the companies do a "sale" on shipping, offering either free shipping or free at a lower total order than normally. MCM, for instance, is offering $6 shipping this weekend.

You have to balance the cost of shipping against the cost of driving to a brick & mortar store. You can add in the value of your time, which for anyone out of high school is almost certain to be worth more than most shipping. You can also balance how fast you want the goods in hand against the cost of various shipping options. Want it fast...expect to pay more. Willing to wait...it will cost less.

Return to “General discussion”