shadowofdarkness

Is 5.3v to much for a Pi?

Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:51 pm

I have read a long time ago the Pi went up to 5.25v for its power supply but at the time 5.3v didn't commonly exist. Would I have any problems with using one that gives a little to much voltage. It will be for a Pi 2.

I ask because in a unrelated thing I read before when they first started coming out on a Android phone forum was that you could charge older phones with them but the extra voltage would over time lower the batteries life. I know the Pi doesn't have a battery but would other components have any problem.

I let someone borrow one of my Pi's to try it out and they are using my good 5.25v 2 amp. So I'm seeing what I have laying around until I can buy a 5.25v 3 amp I saw online.

DougieLawson

Re: Is 5.3v to much for a Pi?

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:09 pm

Measure it. You'll have some voltage loss in the cable between the supply and the RPi depending on whether it's thick copper or some kind of wet string with a thin strand of copper.

Anything over 5V2 at the microUSB connector is out of spec.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

shadowofdarkness

Re: Is 5.3v to much for a Pi?

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Thanks I never even thought of loss. So using a 5 foot official Samsung microusb cable I measured at tp1 and tp2 and it was 5.11v which is safely in the 4.75-5.25 spec.

Return to “General discussion”