sniper695

will a rasperry pi work as a media center pc.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:28 pm

I have been researching the new rasberry pi setup, I am considering buying one to set up a home theater pc for my grandmother. It will need to be pretty simple to use, and basically run netflix and video files off a flash drive. is that something that is reasonable? I work in IT but only windows, Mac, Chrome OS. I had linux on my laptop about 10 yrs ago but I am not familiar with it. If the rasberry pi can do this what is the best version of linux to run? any links to tutorials that are applicable would be great.

DougieLawson

Re: will a rasperry pi work as a media center pc.

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:36 pm

You can't run Netflix.

You can run an XBMC/Kodi media centre.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

sniper695

Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:56 pm

what I have done for my house is just using a windows pc, I can watch video files, netflix etc.

Can a linux install on the rasberry do that? or would I need to go the media center software route?

Why will netflix not run?

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Netflix needs Chromium, Chromium is badly supported in much the same way that Adobe Flash is badly supported.

If you want Netflix look at a dedicated HDMI plug-in media centre dongle like a Chromecast rather than a Pi.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

ghans

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:47 pm

Netflix doesn't need Chromium. Netflix needs Google Chrome.
Important difference.

ghans

EDIT : Wording
Last edited by ghans on Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

fruitoftheloom

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

kusti8

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:16 pm

sniper695 wrote:what I have done for my house is just using a windows pc, I can watch video files, netflix etc.

Can a linux install on the rasberry do that? or would I need to go the media center software route?

Why will netflix not run?
You could get playOn if you really want Netflix. The media experience on the pi is really great, except for small things like Netflix.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

sniper695

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:43 pm

OK, so I understand is the netflix issue a pi issue or a linux issue?

Bruny

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:22 pm

On other operating systems, Firefox users would be locked out of viewing Hollywood movies (as is the case today), but other browsers, for example Chrome on Linux and Android, would be in a position to support them.

:?

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:11 pm

sniper695 wrote:OK, so I understand is the netflix issue a pi issue or a linux issue?
It's a netflix.com issue because they don't want to support anything other than Google Chrome on Linux.

PiGraham

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:36 pm

DougieLawson wrote:If you want Netflix look at a dedicated HDMI plug-in media centre dongle like a Chromecast rather than a Pi.

I second that. There are LOTS of cheap Android TV sticks and boxes out there that will run Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc. They also run XBMC/KODI for the full-on media centre experience.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:01 pm

PiGraham wrote:I second that. There are LOTS of cheap Android TV sticks and boxes out there that will run Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc. They also run XBMC/KODI for the full-on media centre experience.
To be fair, Android doesn't run kodi very well. No hdmi frame rate switching means juddery video, there's poorer scaling, no deinterlacing, often no multichannel audio, often no VC-1/MPEG2.
This is a good thread that compares all the options: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268

But, for Netlix, a cheap Android stick is a good choice.

PiGraham

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:10 pm

dom wrote:
PiGraham wrote:I second that. There are LOTS of cheap Android TV sticks and boxes out there that will run Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc. They also run XBMC/KODI for the full-on media centre experience.
To be fair, Android doesn't run kodi very well. No hdmi frame rate switching means juddery video, there's poorer scaling, no deinterlacing, often no multichannel audio, often no VC-1/MPEG2.
This is a good thread that compares all the options: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=94268

But, for Netlix, a cheap Android stick is a good choice.
To be fair I haven't tried Kodi on it, but I have an MK809 that runs XBMC and other apps nicely.

abishur

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:41 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
sniper695 wrote:OK, so I understand is the netflix issue a pi issue or a linux issue?
It's a netflix.com issue because they don't want to support anything other than Google Chrome on Linux.
You can bypass this if you use pipelight, I've got netflix working great on my Linux Mint laptop in firefox... however that doesn't help with the Pi. :lol:

But Dougie is right, it's a netflix.com issue and their DRM security. Basically, like all DRM, they punish their paying customers and those who are going to pirate use other means to bypass the DRM. (Not that I have strong feelings about the subject)

I purchased playon many, many years ago and every couple of years I upgrade to the latest version to see how it works. The long and short is I've never been impressed with it. Even running on, what were then, powerhouse PCs I've found the video to be choppy or poorly transcoded, the interface lacking, and the whole thing largely underwhelming for all but the most basic of tasks. Others might have had better results, and maybe I'm just configuring it wrong, but to me it's always come up short. If Netflix is your only hold up, you'd be better of using some other method, I'd sooner use a Wii if you had something like that available to you.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

PiGraham

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:21 pm

abishur wrote:If Netflix is your only hold up, you'd be better of using some other method, I'd sooner use a Wii if you had something like that available to you.
Wii runs smoothly, but resolution is not so good. PS3 does a much better job. MK809is almost as good.

Return to “General discussion”