edent

3G Dongle only connects for a few seconds (K3565)

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:31 pm

I'm using a Huawei K3565 USB 3G dongle on my Pi.

Using wvdial and sakis3g I can connect to my current provider (GiffGaff) for only a few seconds.

For example, I can ping 3 - 4 times, or download approx 25,537 bytes.

Then the modem disconnects.

I don't think this is a power issue - I'm using a 1.2A charger with no keyboard or screen attached. I also have sufficient credit :-)

So, any idea what is causing it to disconnect? Which logs can I look at?

dcuzhang

Re: 3G Dongle only connects for a few seconds (K3565)

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:18 pm

try to use a usb hub with external power source. Let me know ([email protected]) if it works cause I need to know as well. ;)

edent

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:01 am

Powered hub did the trick! Will write it up this weekend.

edent

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Here's the write up on how to connect the dongle
http://shkspr.mobi/blog/index.php/2012/ ... i-success/

deanbeasley

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:52 am

I have connected ok with a Huawei E220. however, I want to ping and ssh my pi, no joy, I understand t-mobile block ports or external access from outside the 3g network, therefore not allowing me to ping connect. Any advice? hacks, tricks?

Matt The Insane

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:30 am

I think your options may be:

Reconfigure ssh to use a port that isn't blocked on T-Mobile (sorry, can't help any more than that - no idea how you would do it!)

Switch to Vodaphone, who don't block the incoming ports (which is who I use for my laptop that has an ssh server, TFTP for PXE boot, http server etc. running on it). When I asked Vodaphone around 4 months ago regarding blocked incoming ports (after finding they were blocked on Three), they said they had no plans to as their business customers often used them.

deanbeasley

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:56 am

Thanks fo for the advice. Still no joy, I changed my incoming port to 21(FTP) as I know T-Mobile don't block that. Out going not a problem, it's just incomming. T-Mobile must block all incomming traffic from external sources. Can you ping your Vodaphone device? Very keen to get this T-Mobile PAYG sim working as it's an amazing deal! basically, free Internet which is going to be ideal for my Rpi project... sigh...

rez

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:16 am

deanbeasley wrote:I have connected ok with a Huawei E220. however, I want to ping and ssh my pi, no joy, I understand t-mobile block ports or external access from outside the 3g network, therefore not allowing me to ping connect. Any advice? hacks, tricks?
If you have another linux/unix box that you can connect to you could use SSH tunnels to give yourself connectivity to your pi on an IP address behind NAT.

You'd run it like this,

On your pi: ssh -R 2222:localhost:22 someremoteserver.blah.com

On your remote server: ssh -p 2222 localhost

Basically what this does is open an ssh session to "someremoteserver.blah.com" from the pi, and tells that server to open it's own local tcp port 2222. The pi is telling the remote machine to send any tcp segments that come in to it on port 2222 over the ssh link to the pi on port 22. You can then log onto the local machine on your remote server (port 2222 as specified) to connect to the pi, getting around the NAT by establishing the connection from the pi to begin with.

You can use "screen" and "autossh" on the pi to keep the connection open continually in order to ensure this tunnel stays up.

Return to “General discussion”