pipe.santa

How to connet tv to Raspberry using RCA cables [help]

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:44 pm

I can see a big opportunity to use the old tv's like a monitor to raspberry
I have a Raspberry pi b+ and i want to connect it to old tv and then to portable tv. although I am now doing tests on my TV using the AV inputs
I has been see some tutorial where is doing the same but with raspberry pi b, I don't know why but it's settings no work for raspberry pi + or i am doing some thing wrong? because the tv show me the raspberry (black and white) and the screen moves and the audio is an annoying sound
0003.jpg
TV show me that
0003.jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
cables RCA.jpg
I am using this cable
cables RCA.jpg (56 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
all lines are comments in config.txt except " sdtv_mode=2 " .
what more I have to uncomment or what line I have to set?
thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: How to connet tv to Raspberry using RCA cables [help]

Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:48 pm

Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

pipe.santa

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:13 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Is the cable correctly wired, see

http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/0 ... video-jack
sorry my english is very basic.
my question is how I have to edit the config.txt or what I need to do if I have the RCA wired and it's good.

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:36 pm

The cable has the ground and video signal reversed.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:41 pm

this is a textbook example of:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 45#p653422

13. RCA TV OUTPUT SIGNAL (ON A+ AND B+) LOOKS "NEGATIVE" AND DOESN'T SYNC

pipe.santa

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:44 pm

how I can to fix it? is there some tutorial for this case? because i know things abouts electronic and it would make me easy to modify the RCA wired. thanks

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 pm

If you have a model B+ and want to use the composite Video (A/V) for composite video and analog sound, you need an A/V cable, like this one:
But note that there are many cables that look exactly like this one but do NOT work! That is because the wiring within them must be correct!

This is a picture listing the most common A/V cables, and their wiring:

The Raspberry PI can use cables designed for the Ipod, or for the Microsoft Zune, but can also work with some "camcorder cables" (but see below)
The PI does not work with the "hodgepodge" of systems that have pin 1 as GND.

As in the picture above, the tables below count, from sleeve (1) to tip (4) of the four pole 3.5mm jack plug.

A real "Raspberry PI model B+" 4-pole 3.5mm A/V output jack cable uses:
B+ wired cable
1 Video out
2 GND
3 Right audio
4 Left audio

Only Zune Cables are exactly right, because the PI want to keep left and right audio in the right place, and for some obscure reason iPod cables have those swapped.

The most common, and reasonably compatible, cable that is on the market now, uses the iPod wiring:
Ipod wired cable
1 Video out
2 GND
3 Left audio
4 Right audio

Note that you can make this cable 100% compatible by switching the two audio channels, that is the white and red RCA plugs. Its possible that in future software releases, when the system detects you are using a B+ with composite video, the software will swap the audio channels automatically.

A common cable that is also on the market now and often very cheap, is normally called a "camcorder cable"
Camcorder cable
1 Right audio
2 GND
3 Video out
4 Left audio

Note that you can use this cable by switching the video and right channels, that is the yellow and red RCA plugs.
When using a "camcorder" cable, try plugging in the red RCA plug of the cable into the yellow RCA receptacle of your TV and see if you get a picture, if so you can put the yellow plug in the red receptacle, and the white plug into the white receptacle.

Note that no cable you try to use should be able to damage your PI, so you can safely just try.

The cheap ($1.99) cable below is a camcorder cable, and has been tested and is reported to work (with the "camcorder RCA swap").
http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Technology ... B00HND2FW8

The iPod compatible cable below has also been confirmed to work, is more expensive but does not require the camcorder swap.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UCU72U/

Note that instead of such an A/V cable, you could also use an adapter like this. Note that the same reservations as for the cables apply, it might not work, or the signals come out of the wrong plugs. Also, normally its more of a hassle to use and more expensive, but you might have one lying around you can try:
This one, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380747364232? ... 3556628784 has been reported to work.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:49 pm

buy, steal, borrow or make a suitable cable, according to the info above which I copied from one of the sticky posts.

rpdom

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:26 am

If you can't get the correct cable you could try cutting the video wire and cross the wires over. Connect screen to inner and inner to screen. You won't get sound working, but video should be usable.

pipe.santa

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:36 am

rpdom wrote:If you can't get the correct cable you could try cutting the video wire and cross the wires over. Connect screen to inner and inner to screen. You won't get sound working, but video should be usable.
thanks , yes i tried at the first time and the video began to work fine, was in this moment when understood which was the problem, and then I bought an special adapter for mine wire, now it's working so fine.
"sorry my english is very basic because my native languaje is spanish I am learning english"

Sdueyr

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:52 am

From what you describe you DO not have a B+.
The B+ DOES have HDMI and it does NOT have RCA.
No yellow, no red and no white.

pipe.santa

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:09 am

mahjongg wrote:buy, steal, borrow or make a suitable cable, according to the info above which I copied from one of the sticky posts.
Friend, thank you very much you are the best. your answer solved me all my questions. now i have my portable tv working with the raspberry pi b+ now I have new questions about how to install the gps to my raspberry. maybe you see it later.
Thank you very much again.
"sorry, my english is very basic because i am just learning"

Return to “General discussion”