John_starman

Pi2 Crash..

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi All,

New to the Pi & just got mine up & running yesterday using Noobs with standard Raspbian desktop install. All was well & played with it for several hours - uploaded a few bits of s/w (Geany IDE and IceDove for mail).. Came to use this morning & it locked up so no option but to pull the plug - After reboot it wouldn't go into desktop - just scrolling lines & lines of message.. again no option but pull the plug. Tried reboot again & held Shift key - still wanted go into desktop - just gave me option of reinstalling Raspbian/ desktop etc.. which I subsequently did..?

Is this normal behavior for the Pi2.. can't see me sticking with it for long if I have to re install every other day.. :-(

Anyway, would welcome any comments - Thks, John

LeoJr2015

Re: Pi2 Crash..

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:42 pm

I am just curious, was the board made in UK or China? Because apparently, there are some made in China ones out there

expandables

Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:52 pm

Hi did you set an overclock? If so it corrupted the SD card. :mrgreen:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

bobbyyoustra

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:08 pm

LeoJr2015 wrote:I am just curious, was the board made in UK or China? Because apparently, there are some made in China ones out there
My board was made in China and works perfectly fine.

John_starman

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:12 pm

No it was purchased from Farnell in UK..

I did in fact try changing the overclocking up by ONE setting as was curious if it improved performance.... Is this a known problem with corrupting the SD card..

When I did the re-install I just used the same card - I didn't reformat or anything or reload NOOBS onto it & it seems to work OK now..

I guess I need to leave Pi on standard clock setting & see if I get same issue..

Thks for the help, John

klricks

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:37 am

John_starman wrote:No it was purchased from Farnell in UK..

I did in fact try changing the overclocking up by ONE setting as was curious if it improved performance.... Is this a known problem with corrupting the SD card..

When I did the re-install I just used the same card - I didn't reformat or anything or reload NOOBS onto it & it seems to work OK now..

I guess I need to leave Pi on standard clock setting & see if I get same issue..

Thks for the help, John
OC by any amount is not guaranteed to be stable including SD card corruption. I once experimented with OC and got SD corruption in less than 5 minutes though I was pushing max.
Do you power down properly using commands from terminal or GUI shutdown menu?
Do you ever see the small colored block on screen or have the red LED go off or blink?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

John_starman

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:24 am

Yes I always power down correctly... I do see coloured block top right occasionally - what does this? Thks, John

gkreidl

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:38 am

John_starman wrote:Yes I always power down correctly... I do see coloured block top right occasionally - what does this? Thks, John
undervoltage warning. Use a better power supply (or cable).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “General discussion”