richard77

Re: Is Pi able to play streaming video ?

Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:18 pm

It is worth noting that Adobe is going to drop Flash on mobile device in favor of HTML5, so I guess that a lot of websites will have at least a mobile version without Flash. And since I don't think they will go with two different technologies for long, I foresee that Flash will fade away.

TinWhisker

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Not to step on other toes, but although 'flash' is a nice thing to have, it's not really a need nor point of the RasPi.
As other companies are turning their nose up at it anyway, it may as be a good start for the ship jumping rather than sink with it.

I'm sure some clever sausage will kludge a solution - it's available on virtually anything android, but I doubt there will be or exists a 'pay-per-unit' licence for anyone requiring it.

@richard77 - Was it html5? I thought they were pushing their AIR thing. (yet another propriety, but yeah)

kendrick

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Flash was truely a disaster, Silverlight will probably be the same way. It will be great when they and any other proprietery die off. Vender lockin on web tech is disasterous at best.

I mildly agree with the flash/java only sites. java often had mildly navigatible pages when java was turned off. stupid motherboard manufacturers and such though make it a requirement to have java to access the products menu 90% of the time. flash it was all or nothing, the point about it being a standardiser is quite true though. since ie7 or so thats not been nearly the issue.

to the issue with html5 looks good so far... just watched a 720p cartoon with webm and no glitches at all. they seem to be going in the right direction. when the standard is finished if it still has issues then i will be frustrated. and or if they let in non standard things like win codecs or some propriatary item like that

vinceAPPLE

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Hello

i am interested in this subject. According to what i read, the Rasberry Pi will be able to deal with a typical Flash web page. However, the PI won't be able to deal with any "Flash Video" content that is in a web page.

Many flash web pages don't contain "Flash video" but the pages still use other aspects of Flash graphics. So, unless i am mistaken, millions of traditional Flash web pages will still work fine on the RP as long as they don't contain "Flash Video."

For me, this is quite important. I have always felt that any web browser that can't understand Flash is giving you a sub standard surfing experience. I know of many many many web pages that require Flash but don't require "Flash Video".

As is mentioned here...the Raspberry will still be able to deal with Youtube and many other video web sites by using the HTML 5 setting on the youtube web page and then maybe using the Pi's web browser together with a Linux media player like "Mplayer".

I am expecting that all of this stuff will be tested and released in the best form
possible by the PI foundation.

As people already know....Flash is a talking point with Tablet computers. Apple ipads can't deal with ANY kind of Flash. The new Amazon Tablet "Kindle FIRE" is a direct competitor to ipads and CAN deal with ALL Flash. (199 dollars). This is a big selling point for that tablet and amazon.

I know the Rasberry is a different bread of computer. But it's great to know that the foundation will be trying to get every last drop out of the chips on the PI.

I assume after the PI is released, the community will come up with Flash methods and patches.

In a sense, it's actually quite surprising that the Rasberry can do ANY kind of Flash content at all. This flash topic is a pretty big bone of contention on the worlds tablets computers of late. I assume those hundreds of tablet manufacturers and "CHIP intellectual property rights owners" are having a field day about Adobe and Flash every other minute.

V.

abishur

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:57 pm

My understanding was that it could do flash video, it just couldn't take advantage of the GPU acceleration of flash video without paying obscene royalties to adobe? But it's possible I misunderstood 2 separate issues and just smashed them together :P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

vinceAPPLE

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:35 pm

you may be right Abishur.....the Rasberry *can* deal with flash video....but only by using software processing of Flash video content..which is very slow. The Rasberry deals with other forms of flash graphics in a normal manner...it seems.

bobbyville

Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Any idea if the Rasberry can play youtube html5 at 720p resolution?

stewiegriffin

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi.

Just days ago i came across the Raspberry Pi project and i have to say im very excited about it, can't wait to get one.

I did wonder about this though, if it would be able to play flash videos and the ones you find/stream online (not just youtube). From what i understood there isn't an official version of adobe flash player for it, is that right? Is there any projection of we being able to play flash videos on the raspberry? Its something i use and would be very good to have it.

Sorry for the kind of noob question. I also noticed the posts have some time now and so i thought that by now there could be anything new on this.

Return to “General discussion”