geffers

Quad Pi SD card problem

Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:24 pm

I've got four Pi devices, two with SD card and 2 with micro SD card.

Enthusiastically received my NEW quad Pi recently from Pimoroni.

My micro SD cards are both Sandisk 8GB both in working devices. Inserted one of these into my new quad Pi, wouldn't boot. Tried the other micro SD card, failed at boot. Both of these back in my older Pi devices work fine.

Email Pimoroni, they advised updating via apt-get update then upgrade to get latest kernel, did so again failed at boot. Reformatted one card, put noobs on it, older device sees it fine, new quad fails at boot.

Returned to Pimoroni and they advise that with Samsung SD card and noobs it boots fine soi they are returning device to me.

I am now very unsure of the reliability of this device.

Anyone else experienced any problems?

Geffers

DougieLawson

Re: Quad Pi SD card problem

Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:34 pm

Buy a fresh new 8GB micro SD from Tesco, Sainsburys, ASDA or Morrisons (they're in the cameras & tablets section).

Download the 2015-02-16 version of NOOBS or plain Raspbian. Write the new card and boot it in any old Pi. Shut down cleanly. Swap it to the 2B and it will boot if the 2B is OK.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

geffers

Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:56 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Buy a fresh new 8GB micro SD from Tesco, Sainsburys, ASDA or Morrisons (they're in the cameras & tablets section).

Download the 2015-02-16 version of NOOBS or plain Raspbian. Write the new card and boot it in any old Pi. Shut down cleanly. Swap it to the 2B and it will boot if the 2B is OK.
I shouldn't have to go through that sort or rigmarole to get a new device to boot. If I have a working OS in one machine it should work in another; all my others do.

Geffers

Pi_Fanatic

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:03 pm

Geffers, the new Pi processor Arm7 requires updated drivers that are not in the traditional B+ operating system. You shouldn't have to buy a new microSD card but you will have to reformat one of yours using the SD Formatter tool and copy over the latest Noobs release - 1.3.12 or 1.4 will work just fine. The best part is that these will now work in your B+ also.

Pi Fanatic

kusti8

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:38 pm

Pi_Fanatic wrote:Geffers, the new Pi processor Arm7 requires updated drivers that are not in the traditional B+ operating system. You shouldn't have to buy a new microSD card but you will have to reformat one of yours using the SD Formatter tool and copy over the latest Noobs release - 1.3.12 or 1.4 will work just fine. The best part is that these will now work in your B+ also.

Pi Fanatic
You don't have to reformat it. If he is using NOOBS, then there are special instructions that the pi hut made on how to upgrade that.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

topshed
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:33 pm

You shouldn't need to reformat the SD card.

The main command to run is
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and it never hurts to run
sudo rpi-update
too.
--
Richard Hayler - Citizen Science Programme Manager

ghans

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:57 pm

Actually , the latter is quite dangerous and should be only done
if you are troubleshooting a specific issue together with
Raspberry Pi engineers.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

geffers

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:57 am

So if I run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade on my existing cards they should run OK on the Pi2

Geffers

B.Goode

Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:03 am

geffers wrote:So if I run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade on my existing cards they should run OK on the Pi2
The process is very clearly documented here: http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi- ... berry-pi-2

Note that if the 'working on a original RPi' card was created via NOOBS then there are additional steps required over and above what you have mentioned.

DougieLawson

Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:06 am

B.Goode wrote: Note that if the 'working on a original RPi' card was created via NOOBS then there are additional steps required over and above what you have mentioned.
Which is precisely the reason I suggested buying a fresh card and using a fresh download of NOOBS (or plain Raspbian).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

B.Goode

Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:17 am

DougieLawson wrote:
B.Goode wrote: Note that if the 'working on a original RPi' card was created via NOOBS then there are additional steps required over and above what you have mentioned.
Which is precisely the reason I suggested buying a fresh card and using a fresh download of NOOBS (or plain Raspbian).
And I agree that is the cleanest most comprehensible way of making progress. But @geffers appears to be reluctant to take that approach, so I have simply referred to information that might assist with the process of 'rolling forward' a working installation from older hardware to the new.
geffers wrote:I shouldn't have to go through that sort or rigmarole to get a new device to boot. If I have a working OS in one machine it should work in another.

In my professional experience it was almost always the case that a new version of hardware would require a new/updated release of the Operating System to support it. That was certainly the case with DEC (Vax/VMS), Sun Microsystems and Silicon Graphics (SGI) to name-drop just a few examples.

RaTTuS

Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:21 am

geffers wrote:So if I run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade on my existing cards they should run OK on the Pi2

Geffers
yes...
YMMV

on an existing RPi
do a
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
wait for it to finish
sudo shutdown -h now #to stop the RPi
take micro sd card out and stuff it into the new B2

boot it and it should be happy
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

user007

Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:18 pm

geffers wrote: My micro SD cards are both Sandisk 8GB both in working devices. Inserted one of these into my new quad Pi, wouldn't boot. Tried the other micro SD card, failed at boot. Both of these back in my older Pi devices work fine.
Returned to Pimoroni and they advise that with Samsung SD card and noobs it boots fine soi they are returning device to me.
I am now very unsure of the reliability of this device.
Anyone else experienced any problems?
Geffers
The new RPI2 has different boot kernels and you should use proper RPI2 OS distribution.
You may just download new RPI2 OS image from this site and use SDFormatter and Win32DiskImager to format your microSD card and write the new RPI2 OS image. Any popular 8 GB+ microSD card like San Disk, Samsung, Transcend would be fine.
You may try also an alternative of NOOBS called Berryboot - Boot menu/OS installer for ARM devices (http://sourceforge.net/projects/berryboot/). It is needed to download 32.8MB zip file and to copy the unzipped files to a FAT or FAT32 formatted microSD card.
Then you may start RPI2 and add to the Berryboot main menu images of different RPI2 OS - Raspbian, Fedora 21, etc.
The OS images are downloaded from sourceforge.net at full Internet speed and installed immediately - easy and simple. You may install many RPI2 OS on the same SD card.

BMS Doug

Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:20 pm

RaTTuS wrote:

Geffers
yes...
YMMV

on an existing RPi
do a
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
wait for it to finish
sudo shutdown -h now #to stop the RPi
take micro sd card out and stuff it into the new B2

boot it and it should be happy
Oddly I have one SD card that will not work with the Pi2 despite having done a dist-upgrade, I'm not too concerned as I do have a different SD card that does work on the Pi2 (having been upgraded by dist-upgrade) so I haven't really looked into why this one doesn't work.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

geffers

Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:24 am

DougieLawson wrote:
My Pi2 was supplied without a microSD card. Had spare SD cards but not micro.

Obvious option was to try the two microSD cards I had in two working R-Pi devices.

Pomoroni suggested a few commands to correct it but not the detailed upgrade explained in the Pi Hut article.

Geffers

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:03 am

geffers wrote: Pomoroni suggested a few commands to correct it but not the detailed upgrade explained in the Pi Hut article.
The missing piece is that you need to muck about with a NOOBS card to replace the "firmware" and kernel in the first FAT partition to get NOOBS working. It's not the partition that's mounted as /boot when Raspbian is running.

Yet another reason to avoid using NOOBS, where possible.

Return to “General discussion”