Luke269

.exe setups.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:04 pm

hi, i have a wifi adapter with a cd that works for linux, i have copied these files to a usb stick to run, is there anyway that you can run .exe files on these rs-pi ?

thanks again any help will be appreciated:)

godFather89

Re: .exe setups.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:15 pm

short answer: no, there is no (useful) way.

dukla2000

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:43 pm

.exe are
1) Typically Windows executables
2) Compiled for Intel architecture CPUs

Your Pi meets neither of these. More likely the linux setup on the CD will be some scripts that you should try browse to and review. (And arguably copy to your pi and try run there as per any instructions.)

More realistically: device support for linux either exists in the kernel already and you just need to configure your particular device or you are out of luck. Haven't done any wifi on my pi but suggest you also check through the other threads about Pi/wifi for setup hints/tips and the wiki for known working devices
Daily driver: Pi3B, 64GB Samsung Evo+ @100MHz, DVB-T, onboard WiFi for internet, BT/USB dongle for KB/mouse, 250GB HDD via USB for media, Raspbian Jessie Lite with Openbox desktop.
Museum: Pi B

bredman

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:08 pm

The CD will install the drivers for a Windows PC. These will not work for a Linux PC.

For a Linux PC, you do not need a CD. The drivers are most likely available with only one command. Typical commands, depending on the manufacturer of the WiFi device are...
sudo apt-get install firmware-realtek
or...
sudo apt-get install firmware-ralink

To tell which command you should enter, see this page
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters

To check which WiFi device you have, plug it into the RPi and enter this command
lsusb

ghans

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:37 am

If you really are desperate , try NDISWrapper (use cabextract !).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Narishma

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:34 am

ghans wrote:If you really are desperate , try NDISWrapper (use cabextract !).

ghans
That won't work. NDISWrapper is a wrapper around Wifi drivers written for Windows x86 PCs, and thus won't work on ARM processors.

scrawford

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:56 am

Full Disclosure: The last programming I did was pascal in college 16 years ago...

I just hooked up my Pi and am trying to install The Dude. It says it is compatible with Linux but I am not sure how the install works. Their site says I need WINE and CentOS, but unfortunately I have no idea what this means. Please help.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Dude_Linux_Installation

felix123

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:22 am

scrawford wrote:Their site says I need WINE and CentOS, but unfortunately I have no idea what this means.
It means it won't run on the Pi. Wine doesn't work on the Pi, so unfortunately no go for you.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:29 am

scrawford wrote:Full Disclosure: The last programming I did was pascal in college 16 years ago...

I just hooked up my Pi and am trying to install The Dude. It says it is compatible with Linux but I am not sure how the install works. Their site says I need WINE and CentOS, but unfortunately I have no idea what this means. Please help.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Dude_Linux_Installation
As stated above, this won't wiork - it's a x86 processor architecture application, not Arm, and whilst it works on a x86 based PC running Linux (with appropriate software to emulate Windows), it won't run on an Arm device running Linux.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “General discussion”