qkumber1

Re: How many of these will you guys be producing?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:36 pm

I\'ve got a bad feeling they will sell out extremely fast :(

abishur

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Using the search feature of the forum, I\'ve seen a couple suggestions that it would be in the 10,000 range. That said, it\'s not like that\'s the maximum number of Model A/Bs they\'re going to make ever and once they\'re gone you\'ll just have to wait for the model C :P If they sell all of the first batch quickly, that just means they have the capital to produce a second batch. The double good news here is that if these boards just keep on selling then that means they\'ll be able to order more per batch which will bring the total cost of the board down which will allow them a little flex room on the 25 USD target price
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

tnelsond

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:34 pm

But they\'ll have a buy one give one at first, so perhaps that will curb people\'s urge to buy it, or maybe it won\'t.

Bacan

Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:46 pm

An issue that I experienced while working with a Fab-less design house, was getting a spot in the factory\'s production line and bringing all the parts together in a timely fashion. Given that The Pick-n-Place assembly of the card only take a few seconds to stuff a board, say 5 seconds. That means the whole 10k build could happen in one 24 hour period. So the actual assembly is not a holdup. Once the robotic line is set up to run and tested, out they flow. It will be other issues limiting how fast future orders are filled and when the next build window can be scheduled.

Are things so slow there that the robotic assembly plant is waiting for this R-Pi order? God I hope not for that factory, the workers, owners and investors well being.

Getting parts from Japan\'s region affected by the natural disaster will also be a factor.

How about packaging? Is it Robo-Packed in a foam lined box or just dropped in a padded envelope, to await a shipping sticker?

What is the British Postal System like? If anything like the US Mail, I\'ll pay extra and use UPS or FedEx. Personal, I would be looking into using a Bonded Postal Fulfillment House to hand the order fulfillment. Then you don\'t have to fire anyone after the shipping rush is over. OH CRAP!!! These packages will go into the postal system at the height of the Christmas Mail Rush. Ya, I\'ll be happy if I get mine in time for New Years Day.

It is not the fine people working on the project, it is just how things happen in the world. The whole supply chain is only as good as the weakest link, and the weakest link is out of your control!

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Postal system in the UK is not too bad. Although they do make mistakes, no postal system is infallible though. They have a special delivery service which is a bit more expensive but I have always found to be really reliable (next day before 1 pm).

I have been wondering about the unit casing. On the one hand I think it doesn’t need any casing, as this is good to show people / kids about how PCBs and electronics work. I’m also not sure if users need access to jumpers or whatever. On the other hand though maybe it will need some good protection if it’s going to be used by kids.

nullstring

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:29 pm

[quote]Quote from abishur on October 17, 2011, 14:53
That said, it\'s not like that\'s the maximum number of Model A/Bs they\'re going to make ever and once they\'re gone you\'ll just have to wait for the model C :P [/quote]

Is there really a model C in the works? Or was this just a joke?

qkumber1

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:58 pm

[quote]Quote from Bacan on October 17, 2011, 15:46
These packages will go into the postal system at the height of the Christmas Mail Rush.

[/quote]
Well, I did not think of this. That sure does suck.

Bacan

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:07 pm

[quote]Quote from nullstring on October 17, 2011, 18:29
Is there really a model C in the works? Or was this just a joke?[/quote]

Have you ever known an Engineer to not be working on the next model? :D

Please, give the team a chance to get these models out and the shipping process under control. Pushing for the next one or postponing buying one because the next will be better, will only slow down the process. Show support. Buy these models when they come available, then give it away when the next newer better models come out.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:03 pm

The A and B are not finished yet (But talking to a engineer on it this morning it\'s looking pretty good! Slight delay, but still good ) - so no work being on any C model. So don\'t expect a C for months and months and months.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

abishur

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:56 pm

[quote]Quote from nullstring on October 17, 2011, 18:29
[quote]Quote from abishur on October 17, 2011, 14:53
That said, it\'s not like that\'s the maximum number of Model A/Bs they\'re going to make ever and once they\'re gone you\'ll just have to wait for the model C :P [/quote]

Is there really a model C in the works? Or was this just a joke?[/quote]

lol, that was just a joke on my part ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

rwaltman

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:43 pm

[quote]jamesh
So don\'t expect a C for months and months and months.[/quote]

1, 2, 3: Got it! 3 months from today you said? :)

--
Roberto Waltman

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:14 pm

10k is the initial, prime-the-pump batch we\'ll be making - as soon as those go into the online shop, we\'ll be making more. Manufacture will be ongoing, so there\'s really no upper limit to the number we\'ll be making. And no, there is no model C in the works.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

mrmango

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:56 pm

I have to admit, with the amount of people looking at this, I highly doubt people will be just buying one :) So its good to know that there will be more coming. I\'d hate to miss the launch.

SlayingDragons

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:37 pm

It wouldn\'t take too long to make more though, would it? Just pump out a new batch en masse, which should be pretty quick as I\'m assuming the manufacturing process will be automated.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:29 pm

I thnk that the main thing exercising the minds of the Pi-eyed faithful is the prospect of getting at least one of the first 10,000 Raspberry Pi\'s. Its an \"I was THERE\" situation, if you see what I mean!

(Yep, I\'m Pi-eyed.... 8-) )
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Return to “General discussion”