bmstrong

EEVblog #716 - Raspberry Pi 2 Xenon Flash Problem Explained

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDfRCi1UV0

Fantastic video. I wish the Foundation would post this on the front page. My RPi2 has this and I consider it one of the coolest "features" I've seen. I learned more about electronics through this mistake and I'm really grateful because of it.

DirkS

Re: EEVblog #716 - Raspberry Pi 2 Xenon Flash Problem Explai

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:47 pm

bmstrong wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDfRCi1UV0

Fantastic video. I wish the Foundation would post this on the front page. My RPi2 has this and I consider it one of the coolest "features" I've seen. I learned more about electronics through this mistake and I'm really grateful because of it.
I hope they don't. AFAIC he should have used somebody else to do a voice-over :roll:
And there is already plenty of information around
http://www.raspberrypi.org/xenon-death- ... cs-lesson/
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=99042
etc

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:50 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

beta-tester

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:40 pm

very similar effect... like in men in black...
after "flashy-thinged", your RPi knows nothing anymore about, what was happen before :mrgreen:
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

PeterO

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:50 pm

You are about two weeks behind :D 8-) :lol:

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

davidcoton

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:24 pm

PeterO wrote: You are about two weeks behind :D 8-) :lol:

PeterO
Sorry Peter, I just have to say: Given your avatar, I think you are a little more than two weeks behind :D
Or maybe just preparing for Christmas 2015? Pi all round for the good boys and girls?
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

BMS Doug

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:09 am

DirkS wrote:

I hope they don't. AFAIC he should have used somebody else to do a voice-over :roll:
And there is already plenty of information around
http://www.raspberrypi.org/xenon-death- ... cs-lesson/
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=99042
etc
I managed to watch about 6 minutes before his voice became intolerable (I knew it was going to be bad when he first spoke but some of his videos are worth suffering through).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

blc

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:39 am

I quite like Dave Jones; he's really enthusiastic, whatever you think of his voice or his accent. I've learned a lot from his videos.

PeterO

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:45 am

davidcoton wrote:Sorry Peter, I just have to say: Given your avatar, I think you are a little more than two weeks behind :D
Or maybe just preparing for Christmas 2015? Pi all round for the good boys and girls?
Just because it isn't December any more doesn't stop small children pointing at me and shouting "ITS SANTA" :-)
PeterO :D
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

gregeric

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:50 am

blc wrote:I quite like Dave Jones; he's really enthusiastic, whatever you think of his voice or his accent. I've learned a lot from his videos.
+1

I enjoy his style, always entertaining and educating.

BMS Doug

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:57 am

gregeric wrote:
blc wrote:I quite like Dave Jones; he's really enthusiastic, whatever you think of his voice or his accent. I've learned a lot from his videos.
+1

I enjoy his style, always entertaining and educating.
I love his enthusiasm and his knowledge, it's just his voice and accent I can't cope with.
Sometimes I can watch his videos (and I do recommend his soldering video to beginners) but it is a struggle, this time I lost.
Doug.

Heater

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:09 am

Dave Jones had a wonderful ozzie accent, a great sense of humour and a marvellously politically incorrect style.

The pitch of his speech may be a bit higher than normal but that's nothing.

There are far more annoying and unlistenable voices on the you tubes.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:45 am

He's a pain because he repeats himself.

How many times does he have to tell us about E = hf (photoelectric effect) in that video (hint: once would have been enough)? He gets a strange spike on his scope and doesn't do enough to explain it (it was probably emf from the big capacitor in the flash gun discharging) so his "scientific" methods suck. He doesn't test his blu-tac fix before demonstrating it (first demo was a complete failure). I suspect if he spent ten minutes writing a script or storyboard before launching into shooting the videos would be better. Running his demos off-camera first would work too. Also having a camera on him and another on the scope and editing the shots together would be better than the constant moving and auto focussing mess that he makes now.

I can just about stand his high pitched wailing and inflecting at the end of sentences (like a Valley Girl) but it takes a lot to keep me interested in one of his unscripted video rants.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

PeterO

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:54 am

DougieLawson wrote:He's a pain because he repeats himself.

How many times does he have to tell us about E = hf (photoelectric effect) in that video (hint: once would have been enough)? He gets a strange spike on his scope and doesn't do enough to explain it (it was probably emf from the big capacitor in the flash gun discharging) so his "scientific" methods suck. He doesn't test his blu-tac fix before demonstrating it (first demo was a complete failure). I suspect if he spent ten minutes writing a script or storyboard before launching into shooting the videos would be better. Running his demos off-camera first would work too. Also having a camera on him and another on the scope and editing the shots together would be better than the constant moving and auto focussing mess that he makes now.

I can just about stand his high pitched wailing and inflecting at the end of sentences (like a Valley Girl) but it takes a lot to keep me interested in one of his unscripted video rants.
If you don't like him and his "as it happens" style then don't watch him !

PeterO

eriktheitalian

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:42 pm

This bug very acceptable for me. It's open bug not like lots of x86 pc periperial secrets.

I'm know this issue related with mirror like little component near the micro usb.
I can use some type black molten polymer drop on my RPi2. ( with carefuly for heat ).
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

BMS Doug

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:08 pm

eriktheitalian wrote:This bug very acceptable for me. It's open bug not like lots of x86 pc periperial secrets.

I'm know this issue related with mirror like little component near the micro usb.
I can use some type black molten polymer drop on my RPi2. ( with carefuly for heat ).
I'm planning to completely ignore it, I'm very unlikely to accidently expose my Pi to Xenon flashes. If I ever need to take my Pi into an environment where they are common I would simply not open the case that it's sitting in.

I'll repeat a line from the blog post:
Importantly, it’s ONLY really high-intensity bursts like xenon flashes and laser pointers that will cause the issue.
Some of the tests showed that a xenon flash only triggered the issue if activated within very close proximity of the board (IIRC 20cm or less).
This isn't a Bug that will constantly irritate you unless you fix it, this is a rare circumstances, only discovered by accident kind of Bug.

If you want to take closeup pictures of your running Pi2B but don't want to trigger the bug then use a camera with an LED flash, no issue and no need to risk your Pi with a homemade remedy for a problem that is largely irrelevant.

(All Kudos to Peter Onion for finding and reporting this, it's an interesting talking point, but I do think many people have overreacted to the implied consequences of this.)
Doug.

PeterO

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:26 pm

BMS Doug wrote: (All Kudos to Peter Onion for finding and reporting this, it's an interesting talking point, but I do think many people have overreacted to the implied consequences of this.)
Yeah, I got asked about it very seriously at the Southend Jam last Saturday. I had to point out just how much of an issue it is not :-)

PeterO

Heater

Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:36 pm

Well, at least Dave Jones sounds a lot more sonorous than Margaret Thatcher!

Yep, this whole issue is a flash in the pan.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

davidcoton

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:02 pm

If you can break your PC by flashing the Bios, surely the RPi must need a vulnerability to flashing in order to compete :?
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

eriktheitalian

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:34 pm

( This writing is not message to anyone. )

May be this bug added from alien hackers. They can attack with photon weapons. We must destroy this plan :D Lol.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

Return to “General discussion”